Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 10:18   #226
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe. But l have I lived with and without money, and it is happier to have it than not.

If you can do without that is great! But you are on the wrong thread.
Consider me gone... was just seeing how the other half lived...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:10   #227

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The going rate for attractive liberal females in Thailand/Phillipines was $10/day when I was there 10 years ago---they are really hard workers and were never taught how to whine.
Just left Thailand a week ago and I think the rate is now about $20US/day but I am sure that this cost will go up as well, as it should.

Hope I didn't drive you off boatman as all I was trying to point out was that I didn't think you could keep a boat seaworthy and safe unless you had a realistic budget and was hoping to get some feedback on that issue.

Always enjoy reading your posts.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:30   #228
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Just left Thailand a week ago and I think the rate is now about $20US/day but I am sure that this cost will go up as well, as it should.

Hope I didn't drive you off boatman as all I was trying to point out was that I didn't think you could keep a boat seaworthy and safe unless you had a realistic budget and was hoping to get some feedback on that issue.

Naah... just me being 'witty..???'
Its nice for a subsistence level sailor to see how others do it..
Mind.. being at my level is good for my work.. keeps the boat moving where others may cry off..
Hmmmm... was that a good or bad thing to say...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:44   #229
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Why is it that people feel its right to slag off people who want to spend a bit more? If it galls you why not go back the the cruising on 2 cents thread and let others have a chat here?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-01-2014, 11:53   #230
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I do not actually see any "slagging off" happening from other posters. Bit of humour, but we need that anytime.

Coops.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:15   #231
CLOD

Boat: none

I of course have been digging around looking for the budgeting answer. I have searched pages and pages of cruiser blogs, read though the answers in "The Interview with a Cruiser Project", searched the forums; and the answer seems to be mostly in the $2500-5000 range. That of course is a HUGE range and in comparing the costs the biggest ones always seem to be marinas, serious in-land sightseeing (cars rentals, hotels, restaurants) and flying back home.

Overall I find a lot of cruisers spending around $2000-3000/mo on a modern 40-50' boat, anchoring out a reasonable amount of time but still spending time on moorings and at slips, eating out once/twice a week (causal dining), and maintaining their boat in good condition. My current thinking/belief is that a $3000/mo budget (an average amount that has "bumps" built in due to stuff) is a good number. I'm still working on being a full believer in the $3000/mo, but if it is reasonable I could leave end of next year at age 54 and the lowest the cruising kitty should get to is $65k at age 60. And the $65k is liquid cash in savings and doesn't include money in our 401k that should be around $350k at the time.

The whole thing is trying to find a balance between "go now while young" and the fact of how hard it would be to get a job at age 60+ if you have been out cruising for 5 years.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:18   #232
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why is it that people feel its right to slag off people who want to spend a bit more? If it galls you why not go back the the cruising on 2 cents thread and let others have a chat here?
No slagging off from me MarkJ..
I like living high of the hog as much as anyone.. when I can.. just its not a regular thing for me.. and likely not for you.. on a different level..
But I do not begrudge or envy you.. or others who have the ability to maintain a certain lifestyle..
You earned it.. Live it...
But if yanking your chain now and then gets your goat..
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 29-01-2014, 12:23   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
The whole thing is trying to find a balance between "go now while young" and the fact of how hard it would be to get a job at age 60+ if you have been out cruising for 5 years.
I'm waiting until I'm 60, in five years, or sooner if I lose my current job as I'm pretty sure I'd be unemployable, have to fall back on being a mechanic I guess.
Plus by then my youngest will be in College
Old 29-01-2014, 12:24   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm real, real sure there are those that can't cruise on 50K a month too, recent helicopter equipped Yacht thread for example.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:28   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I bet that applies to those cruising on $500 also.
You know Don, I'd rather not have $10,000 or even $5000 a month to live on. Who wants to pay taxes on 120K a year. Pretty sure I'm happier not having too much money. Gee the taxes on $120k are more then I live on in a year.

I is a happy camper. My cat on the other hand......
Old 29-01-2014, 12:32   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
$US20 is less than some folks I know spend on washers and dryers for their cloths in a month. Last week someone on the cruisers net was trying to sell once worn pair of Crocs for $US20.

When I am on the mainland I stock up on Crocs at the Goodwill for two dollars a pair. Also hit the big box stores for canned goods, tooth paste, toilet paper and like stuff.

Different strokes for different folks.
Well, I don't actually spend $20 a month on clothing. There's just an allowance in the budget. Really I only buy clothing a few times a year and yes I'm quite happy with $4 tops at goodwill. Why spend more.

I do stock up on sale items (TP, cat litter, cat food, etc.) when its on sale. Gee who knew I was a prepper....
Old 29-01-2014, 12:45   #237
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You know Don, I'd rather not have $10,000 or even $5000 a month to live on. Who wants to pay taxes on 120K a year. Pretty sure I'm happier not having too much money. Gee the taxes on $120k are more then I live on in a year.

I is a happy camper. My cat on the other hand......
Doesn't matter how much you pay in taxes, it only matters what is left over. If I wasn't making the money that I'm paying taxes on I wouldn't even have a boat or be saving the money for this cruising fantasy to start with.

If you are happy that is fine with me, but I believe my plans are a lot different than yours.

PS - I hit a milestone savings goal last week. 5 years ago it seemed like a LOT of money, but now it doesn't seem as much.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:46   #238
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post

Hum. OK last year with my %^&( engine rebuild, I actually got to 10% of the boat cost, or a bit more. Though my 42 year old tub cost less then $12K to purchase. So for those like Boatie and me with "Cheap" boats who do all their own work, the cost of ownership is not too bad. Most years I spend less then $300-$400 maintaining the boat. Purchased a new slightly used main sail for $300 three years ago. Though this year or next I'll need to do a bottom job again. Though the last one averaged over 4 years was only $250 and that included a new cutless bearing and 2-1/2 coats of paint.

Some need $100K a year to cruise, Some less then $10k. The trick is doing all your own labor, including engine rebuilds as it comes up.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:47   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

[QUOTE=sailorchic34;1453591]..... Who wants to pay taxes on 120K a year......QUOTE]

I do, I do (with hand raised). That means I would have about $80K left over and that's if I didn't have any deductions.

Being serious though, $3K/mo is a nice cruisiing kitty for most. Wont get you first class but a good second class.
I think the thing that some are not considering is the unexpected event. One can easily spend $10 with a blown engine or being dismasted and needing new mast, rigging and sails. $3K is fine is all goes well.

I remember the folks I used to refer to as the prisoners of St. Thomas. They made it to the US Virgins in an older boat and broke down. They had no money for repairs, no job that paid enough to ever get it repaired and I high cost of living. They had families that told them they would pay for them to come home but not pay for the boat. At the time they decided to stay. Using a dink to tow and change anchorages every few days and barely enough money for food. They had very low paying jobs hawking in front of small shops and always had the look of despair. Biut they had the smile every morning "another day in paradise".
So, $3K/month is fine if you have a large back-up in cash for unexpected issues.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:47   #240

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
$US20 is less than some folks I know spend on washers and dryers for their cloths in a month. Last week someone on the cruisers net was trying to sell once worn pair of Crocs for $US20.
What size were the crocs?
Closed Thread