Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 15:01   #166
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
"It costs whatever you have" right?
No the costs can be higher... life threatening.

I have told this story before of the Malaysian marina where a cruiser's funds ran out, his engine was dismantled and spread across his saloon and he was found one morning hanging from his mast.

The marina towed his boat to the other side of the bay and stole his dinghy to use it as a work boat.

So to some degree it is vastly beneficial to work till you can afford it. Not $5k per month, but enough so you don't end up the creek without a paddle...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-08-2011, 15:12   #167

"It cost whatever you have" is more of a quote about how much something will cost not how little. I merely meant to point out that a person could put off the dream forever and probably justify doing so. But at some point a person has to go for it. (With a plan and within reason of course.)

I don't think the fact that one person killed themselves because they couldn't put their motor back together changes anything. Yes it's sad but there will always be extreme examples to prove most any point.
Old 22-08-2011, 16:21   #168

We retire in two years. It does me good to see that 5,000.00 per month is enough!

So, when this happens We'll live like kings, huh?
Old 22-08-2011, 16:42   #169

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

No, but you will be able to live on a larger, more modern, well equipped boat and enjoy such things as marinas, rental car tours, flights home to see the kids, etc.
- - $5K/month is not that much money for middle and upper middle income folks. Catamarans cost more to operate and maintain than mono's mainly because the owners have more upscale tastes and habits. It is all relative.
- - Although this forum seems to have a lot of posters wishing to get into the cruising lifestyle without the financial resources behind them that more affluent folks have - that doesn't mean that the more affluent cruisers don't exist. IMHO, they are the bulk of cruisers currently in the Caribbean and South Pacific runs. They just don't hang around CF much posting about their lifestyles.
- - One aspect of the cruising lifestyle is the respect and friendship across the financial spectrum from minimalist budget cruiser to maximalist budget cruiser. Although financial based cliches exist in the cruising world they are not very large and a well-off cruiser and a minimalist cruiser will be found in each others boats enjoying sun-downers and sea stories.
Old 22-08-2011, 17:02   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I have witnessed people cruising with the same degree of success and spending far different amounts of money. Despite their budget, those that do best spend far less than what they have available.
Old 30-11-2013, 16:43   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
$500 or $5000, its a choice and does not make the person making the choice any less of a living, breathing human being for choosing the smaller amount or something close to it. Usually the choice is dictated by what a person has available to them.

The amount that I will cruise on a month falls somewhere in between these two figures. The most important thing for me though is how I feel about myself and that is directly relative to what others think of me as a person. It is for that reason that I will not be so condescending to think that because someone has a smaller budget than I do that they are not able to enjoy or have a fulfilling experience cruising, even if its just $500/mo.
Right On Dude!!! Life is what you make it, not what you are given. Im heading out to cruise the world with my girlfriend in 6 months no matter what kind of funds are saved. We will make it happen.
Old 23-01-2014, 13:59   #172
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm tired of the low down cruising life discussion. Lets get to a real dream and shoot higher! In the almost impossible odds of winning the lottery; what would you do cruising if you had $5000/month to spend?

So my wife (she who shall be obeyed) says $3,000/mo average for planning. But she has absolutely no basis for this number and has not bothered to do a budget to see how it breaks down. The $3,000/mo has to be a total amount to cruise and live on the boat, there are no "it depends" it has to cover everything.

What says the wise and weathered CF mob?
Old 23-01-2014, 14:24   #173
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $5,000 / Month

Should live comfortably enough..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-01-2014, 14:36   #174

Quote:
So my wife (she who shall be obeyed) says $3,000/mo average for planning. But she has absolutely no basis for this number and has not bothered to do a budget to see how it breaks down. The $3,000/mo has to be a total amount to cruise and live on the boat, there are no "it depends" it has to cover everything.

What says the wise and weathered CF mob?
I vote for anywhere from $500 to $6,000.

Your boat, your choice.

Oh, yeah, your wife, too. :c ool:
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-01-2014, 14:41   #175
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If you go on a well repared boat the first year on $3,000 per month will still be very difficult because you'll be buying all the stuff you didnt realise was needed, and ypu cant sell the crap you bought and though you needed.

The second to fourth years you will be ok.

The fifth year will be hard when you need to start replacing big ticket items, plus have to visit Mum and Dad each year because you dont know if they will survive till next year.

Also tou will be a long way from home, air fares high and youll be paying for a marina when you are paying for hotels in your own home city.

And then the investment that gives you that money shudders for a year....

So $3k sounds heaps. SOUNDS!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-01-2014, 14:57   #176

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Everyone has different ideas, levels of comfort, and wants. We finished a multi year voyage in Nov 2012, over which we averaged about that 5K (NZD, so 4K USD) for the whole trip. We did everything we wanted to in places we visited, and had a couple of nights a year in a hotel, and a trip home every 18 months or so. There were no really major repairs required, boat was in good condition when we left. Could easily be more $ if you had issues...
But GO! For me, I'm never ready, it never makes economic sense, but you only live once! GO NOW!!! :-)
Old 23-01-2014, 15:18   #177
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

3000 is double what i am restricted to, therefore, waaay lots of money.
Old 27-01-2014, 13:15   #178
CLOD

Boat: none

I get the feeling a lot of this budget question comes down to whether "cruising" involves moving from place to place.
Old 27-01-2014, 13:25   #179

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

OK, to be clear, that voyage was 20,167 NM in 33 months. So you could say we were moving....
Old 27-01-2014, 13:35   #180

Quote:
I get the feeling a lot of this budget question comes down to whether "cruising" involves moving from place to place.
Does moving make it cheaper or more expensive?
Closed Thread