Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 15:08   #16

Re: Cruising Boat and US State Taxes

Because they'll put a lien on your vessel until you pay, or prove without a doubt you don't owe the taxes.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 15:43   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Because they'll put a lien on your vessel until you pay, or prove without a doubt you don't owe the taxes.
Have they ever put a lien on a USCG documented vessel when the only evidence was the USCG document hailing port? Once they do, this opens them up to a lawsuit in Federal court. I doubt they want a Federal judge reviewing their overreaching state law(s).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 16:59   #18

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Here is what I am thinking, based on the feedback I have received.
  • USCG document(no state registration) @ Florida mail forwarding service
  • Hailing port @ Florida mail forwarding service
  • Drivers license, vehicle & voter registration @ family member's house in Florida
  • Don't stay in Texas or or stop in Florida for more than 90 days

Anything else I might be missing?
If your boat is in FL it must be registered in some state regardless of its being documented. If it's in FL over 90 days it must be registered in FL.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:39   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
This is an interesting subject and I hope that I am not hijacking this thread but which states are most boat purchase friendly? I am currently living in Indiana but I am from NC and will most likely have NC as my home port when the wife and I get cruising. Good place to start and come home to. But I can live anywhere or call that "home". NC doesn't seem that bad of a place to keep and register the boat but maybe I am missing something.

NC Sales of new or used boats are subject to a 3% State sales or use tax with a maximum tax of $1,500.00 per boat. (Local sales and use taxes are not imposed on the sale of a boat.)

If a vessel registered in another state is brought into North Carolina for over 90 consecutive days, the registration must be transferred to North Carolina.

NC Registration fees.
US Coast Guard Documented Vessels 26 FT or Greater
1 Year New/Transfer Registration - $55
3 Year New/Transfer Registration - $155

So I could buy and register in another state, come to NC and just jump out to SC or VA for a day or two and come back.
North Carolina charges property tax on boats just like real estate. If you keep the boat inside city limits you will pay both county and city tax. In New Bern NC we paid over $2000 on a boat assessed at $196,000.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:41   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
This is an interesting subject and I hope that I am not hijacking this thread but which states are most boat purchase friendly? I am currently living in Indiana but I am from NC and will most likely have NC as my home port when the wife and I get cruising. Good place to start and come home to. But I can live anywhere or call that "home". NC doesn't seem that bad of a place to keep and register the boat but maybe I am missing something.

NC Sales of new or used boats are subject to a 3% State sales or use tax with a maximum tax of $1,500.00 per boat. (Local sales and use taxes are not imposed on the sale of a boat.)

If a vessel registered in another state is brought into North Carolina for over 90 consecutive days, the registration must be transferred to North Carolina.

NC Registration fees.

US Coast Guard Documented Vessels 26 FT or Greater

1 Year New/Transfer Registration - $55

3 Year New/Transfer Registration - $155

So I could buy and register in another state, come to NC and just jump out to SC or VA for a day or two and come back.

We purchased a boat in North Carolina a little over a year ago and weren't charged any sales or use tax when we registered and titled it there. We also purchased a new dinghy in NC a couple of months ago and were charged a 3% sales tax. I'm guessing that new boat sales are taxed and used not. There is a property tax on boats in NC if kept there.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 18:24   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We purchased a boat in North Carolina a little over a year ago and weren't charged any sales or use tax when we registered and titled it there. We also purchased a new dinghy in NC a couple of months ago and were charged a 3% sales tax. I'm guessing that new boat sales are taxed and used not. There is a property tax on boats in NC if kept there.
In NC there is no sales or use tax on used boats bought from individuals. There is tax when bought from a boat dealer. Note that a boat broker is not a boat dealer.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:51   #22

Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, and Oregon have no sales tax.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If you are a Florida resident and cruise full time your Florida boat registration number (not title) must be on your FL drivers license as of last year. Easy to do but it is required
Talk to SBI for details
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, and Oregon have no sales tax.
Rhode Island also exempts boats from its sales tax.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:24   #25

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten all about the NC property tax every year. I guess almost every state is going to get their pound of flesh some how. However, I will look at NH. Some of those New England towns are very nice but I don't plan to be anywhere near there this time of year!!
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:44   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Texas will want sales tax from you unless you can prove you paid it elsewhere.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:47   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I would enjoy a discussion with CA about taxes I don't owe. Their threatening letters are entertaining. If you don't owe them why let them intimidate you? If I wanted to use a CA hailing port, I certainly wouldn't let some unjust bureaucratic BS stop me!
If you dont have any assets in CA then no worries...other wise they may sieze your assets.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:41   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I had Ca. breathing down my neck after I bought a boat in NY. state while I lived in Hawaii. I later moved it to Ca. After 6 months, I finally paid it. It was a mission for me to find any tax loophole I could to get most of that back over time. Normally I would not have done that. The boat I have now is out of country and because of that incident. I have no desire to bring it back to the US. unless I sell it.
My feeling is that if the Ca. tax collection agency was more fair, they could make the same amount of money without pissing everyone off. More and more people are doing offshore transfers but Ca. even tries to fight that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:10   #29

Boat: PDQ 44i

you might also think about whether you want to own the boat directly or through a Delaware corporation.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:29   #30

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you dont have any assets in CA then no worries...other wise they may sieze your assets.
If the only evidence the CA bureaucrats have is the hailing port on a USCG documentation, I doubt they would go as far as liens/seizing assets. It's well understood that USCG documented hailing ports are simply 'vanity', and can/do have no correlation to actual home port. The bureaucrats may send threatening letters and tax bills, but to take the next legal step with liens/seizures opens them up to lawsuits that I don't believe they want.

Now, if you use a CA hailing port that is the same as your mailing address, and you are a CA resident, and the vessel was purchased was in CA previously, they have corroborating evidence. I would still think they would want to see the vessel at a dock before going as far as liens/seizure.

Threatening letters don't make good lawsuits, liens/seizures make good lawsuits. The bureaucrats know this.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, taxes