Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2008, 17:10   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
This is big government nanny state, and it sucks.

That's a good thing right?

Our government doesn't provide those kinds of services. Well not to my knowledge anyway....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 17:38   #32

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
That's a good thing right?
Yes if it is a nice female. No if it's a crappy old male politician.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 19:36   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
This is big government nanny state, and it sucks.
Attached Images

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 21:06   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I'm not sure if you meant that as a joke or not. You're not really of the opinion that BP has no agenda when it comes to oil, are you?
What would be their agenda with respect to basic world reserves, production and consumption. Would Greenpeace be a better source for these statistics?

Whose statistics do you prefer? Lets go by your statistics and see if we see any differences?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 22:17   #35

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
REALLY?? I missed this discovery entirely. How is oil created? (not being sarcastic, I really didn't hear this theory)
You missed it for a reason. It's called 'abiogenic petroleum' and it's has a small fringe following in Russia and Ukraine. As far as I know (and it's well outside my expertise) it has made no successful predictions for locating oil, as opposed to biogenic theory, which far from being 'junk science' continuously does.

And just a quick word from experience... most folks who make accusations of 'junk science' or 'scientific conspiracy' are usually pushing some squirrelly half-baked pet theory, pissed that they're being ignored.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 05:33   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Wow and I got a post pulled because I suggested we should have kept a few Iraq oil wells and the subject to political for this board. Well in the spirits of even more board demerits. Here's the deal, if gas is $5 a gallon and you could reduce usage by half (hahahah) they would charge $10 a gallon. Zeros out all your efforts. It ain't about supply, if the mid seventies taught us anything, it's all about price and how much you're willing to poney up before you cry Uncle. If I were a oil CEO and hearing about alternative energy and how people want to start cutting back their usage I'd be making as much as I could as fast as I could........and that's about it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 03:18   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The vast majority of petroleum geologists consider the Biogenic theory of petroleum formation scientifically proven.
The generally accepted Biogenic model of “fossil fuels” states that oil comes from the fossilized remains of organic matter (ancient plants and animals) sitting within sedimentary layers of rock that have been subjected to geologic forces (pressure) over millions of years.
A small group of mostly Russian scientists, but also including the late Cornell University [astro] physicist Thomas Gold (“The Deep Hot Biosphere”), have contrived the ( also called abiotic or inorganic) theory.
The Abiogenic hypothesis of Oil Generation postulates that the non-biological creation of petroleum deposits dates back to the formation of the earth itself. The hydrocarbons already existed within the solar system, and instead of vaporizing into space, were subsumed into the earth’s mantle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:53   #38

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
So both the biogenic theory and abiogenic hypothesis projects a fixed supply? Well, "fixed" relative to our current consumption time scale, I mean.

If so, seems like an debate for the angels and not very relevant to the current condition.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 07:39   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
More or less, though I wouldn't pretend to speak for the peak-oil deniers. Even if the science of where the oil came from happens to be wrong, the replacement hypothesis still implies that there is not an infinite supply.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
OK, ...Next we need to get rid of the gas guzzlers. So the license and yearly renewal fees on SUVs, Hummers, full size pick-ups that are not registered to a company, would be equal to the current value of the vehicle. Take that money as collected and reduce the taxes on gas and diesel. The vehicles that get 35 MPH or better would be free for yearly registration or perhaps $1.00. Most of the gas guzzlers would go away quickly and we would reduce consumption which would reduce prices. OK, what do you think about those suggestions?
Ok, playing devil's advocate here... using your own formula why stop there. Seems we could also get rid of all those non-comercial gas guzzling powerboaters as well by basing their registration fees on their estimated resale value. Then we could charge non-motorized sailing vessels a buck a year for registration and apply those profits to offset the gas tax even farther. I'm sure the sailing crowd would be all over that one.

Only problem... I can't help but wonder how much acceptance your plan will be getting from the powerboat crowd. About the same acceptance you will more than likely see from the SUV and truck crowd I imagine.

In all honesty they could repeal the gas tax tomorrow and it would have about as much lasting effect as a bowl of M&M's would in an elemetary school classroom. At best all it would do is leave a couple more bucks in our pockets for a month or two. Wouldn't be but a short while and the price would be right back up there sans tax.

Personally, I think our time would be way more productive if we spent it looking at alternative fuel sources as oppossed to trying to solve our own woes at someone else's expense.

Brett
Putawaywet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:01   #41

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Personally, I think our time would be way more productive if we spent it looking at alternative fuel sources as oppossed to trying to solve our own woes at someone else's expense.
The fuel is there in The Gulf of Mexico, in Alaska of the coast of California and Florida. We have a bunch of pansy ass liberals who are scared shi*&less about about polution and global warming.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:06   #42

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I know several families with lots of children.
If they could not afford a "guzzler" because of the "tax" then they would have to take two (or three) cars...........or shop in shifts........or something.

I don't have my truck any more and dang if I don't have a big pile of stuff to take to the dump. No way to take it. Dang. I am breaking it up and putting it in the household garbage.........did I just admit that.........OOHH!
Why a gas guzzler?

They could get a people mover like this and get pretty good economy

Taking stuff to the dump?

Buy a trailer.

Tarago
Old 08-05-2008, 15:23   #43

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Ignoring the obvious baiters (as I humbly suggest we all do), the clever folks at Los Alamos can use a nuclear plant to suck CO2 out of the sky and make gasoline for $4.60/gallon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/science/19carb.html
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:40   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Ignoring the obvious baiters (as I humbly suggest we all do), the clever folks at Los Alamos can use a nuclear plant to suck CO2 out of the sky and make gasoline for $4.60/gallon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/science/19carb.html
Cool.
Build the first one in downtown LA.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 22:20   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Please keep this boating related folks.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel