Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2008, 13:58   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Want to bypass the media and those with an agenda and find out who has, is producing and consuming the worlds oil?

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...ction_2007.pdf

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:02   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chuck, you really need to do some reading about the folks who have made similar proposals many times over the years. What happens if, let's say, you get a 100% boycott of all Royal Dutch Shell petro products next Tuesday?

Why, you'll defer their income by one day, and on Wednesday they'll see a huge increase from the folks who held out. Sure, they'll lose a little to everyone else, but then next month when you boycott Exxon-Mobil, Shell will make it back again.

If you really want to lower fuel prices, shut down the domestic airline industry. Those are the folks who are druving up prices, as they play the futures market and lock in long-term contracts at terribly high rates to ensure their fuel supply in the future.

Start with them, then shut down everyone else who plays the futures contracts markets--because those bidders push oil way up past the price OPEC wants for it.

Or, dynamite a few refineries, or kidnap some CEO's, in order to extort their non-participation in the futures market. And cap their profits. They've GOT, "we" don't. So you either use brute force, or legislative force, or market force--and there's no market force that can or will affect them, unless you can present a major alternative fuel at a much cheaper price.

Synfuels become competitive at $5/gallon (and that's ignoring the biofuels that are cuasing crises in the world food markets now) and as gas hits five bucks, the games will really get interesting as OPEC tries to ensure the billion-dollar investments in them are allowed to happen--and then collapse, or otherwise be acquired cheap. You ain't seen nothing yet, the game is first about to begin.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:03   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The United States would have to take control of the entire worlds energy market to control the price of oil. We don't have that power and it would be arrogant to think we do.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:06   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Unfortunately, if you live in modern times, you are automatically contributing to excessive consumption of just about everything, if you have any form of investment you are contributing to the excesses of the financial markets. It is not possible anymore to say " I am going to drive less" and think it truly has any effect. I live as much off the grid as possible, I do not drive a car, have no investments, no assestsI believe I am leaving a very small footprint, does that mean that I am not part of the problem? not really. Hello sailor is exactly right you aint seen nouthin yet.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Want to bypass the media and those with an agenda and find out who has, is producing and consuming the worlds oil?

I'm not sure if you meant that as a joke or not. You're not really of the opinion that BP has no agenda when it comes to oil, are you?
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:25   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

A nice refresher.
Not much has changed since I last looked.
Asia Pacific...........whew!
Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:26   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Wow, according to this report, the US alone uses more than all of Europe and Eurasia combined and almost as much as the whole of Asia Pacific. Amazing.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:56   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff View Post
You want us to buy the idea that the original post was an experiment? And that although you knew it wouldn't work, and you anticipated the chastising response, you went ahead and posted it anyway?

So it was all about seeing what we would do. You were pulling our collective leg all along. You'd never actually believe such naive "grass roots protesting" could have a perceptible effect on a global commodity.

That's just stretching our credulity too much. Instead of all the effort at damage control, Chuck, just admit you screwed the pooch on this one, lick your wounds and come back to play again another day.

Sheesh.

Posts of yours in both threads display a willingness to believe in conspiracy theories and language that suggests you see yourself as a victim of some sort of government/corporate collusion, stripped of power for independent action. You're almost as bad as Sully.

I'm slightly embarrassed for you that you would come back for more.
It is what it is and what you think it is really is of little concern. Don't want the wife to see your post. She will get me kicked off the forum. But I think it sure has generated a considerable discussion that does not cover what kind of anchor should I use or what boat should I buy to sail around the world and I only have $500.00.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 15:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I haven't followed the original post. But I can report that I drive about 1/2 as much as I used to.

I can also report that the "cruising" traffic on the highway... the dominqueros is was down. Shiva was stored out in Greenport a 100 mile drive from my home. I decided to store there and not closer (10 miles) because I was doing little projects and the time moving the boat, not to mention the cost of of the car or the bus and the opportunity to store for 50% was enough to store out east. But when I go out there and the past 3 weekends I have made the trek to get her ready, I have never seen as little auto traffic in 20+ years on the LIE and North Fork. My theory is people are not driving.

A few fellas complained that it now costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars in fuel to motor this power boats to Block Island and many boats are up for sail or will be in slips and not on the waterways.

The cost of fuel will really begin to ripple through this nation.
Just got back from a 1800 mile round trip road trip and I can tell you that the highways are still chocked full, at least in Texas, Southern Alabama, Mississippi and Western Floriduh. SUVs and full size pick-ups are the order of the day. We saw only a few economy models comparatively speaking so not a whole lot is changing at this time. The traffic jams around every city we passed through, both large and small continue unabated. And we avoided being on the road at rush hours during the week. We drove an average of 450 miles a day and stopped for the night. The hotels and motels off the interstate were full at some places we stopped. So maybe a few have cut back but only a very few. That is why I suggest a BIG charge to the gass guzzlers for license renewals until just renewing the plates cost more than the vehicle. Then maybe they will go away.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-04-2008, 15:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
.................So the plan was to put out a simple action that may or may not help .........
You admit yourself that your plan may not work - so is it any surprise that there are those who think it won't?

As for taxing/pricing gas guzzlers out of existence - if the price of fuel gets high enough you'd expect that to happen anyway. The problem you face in the US is that the majority of the guzzlers are manufactured there. Force them off the roads quickly and people will lose their jobs.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:35   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
That is why I suggest a BIG charge to the gass guzzlers for license renewals until just renewing the plates cost more than the vehicle. Then maybe they will go away.
I know several families with lots of children.
If they could not afford a "guzzler" because of the "tax" then they would have to take two (or three) cars...........or shop in shifts........or something.

I don't have my truck any more and dang if I don't have a big pile of stuff to take to the dump. No way to take it. Dang. I am breaking it up and putting it in the household garbage.........did I just admit that.........OOHH!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:41   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't have my truck any more and dang if I don't have a big pile of stuff to take to the dump. No way to take it. Dang.
Ha ha... that's always the way it goes. I bought our Hyundai Accent before we refit the Gulfstar. I bought it as an economical way to get back and forth to the office.

Getting things for the Gulfstar got kind of expensive (4'x8' teak and holly cabin sole, etc...) because I had no truck. Right now, I still wish I went with the truck my family had when I was a teen ager:

The Isuzu P'up. A great little truck. Great gas mileage (4 cyclinder) and man... could it take a beating... (I wouldn't know about that and don't tell my parents... haha)

Here's the body style... but this one is really beat up:

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/p...uzuTruck02.jpg
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
And your other hobby is herding cats
You could tell that from my posts

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-04-2008, 16:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You admit yourself that your plan may not work - so is it any surprise that there are those who think it won't?

As for taxing/pricing gas guzzlers out of existence - if the price of fuel gets high enough you'd expect that to happen anyway. The problem you face in the US is that the majority of the guzzlers are manufactured there. Force them off the roads quickly and people will lose their jobs.
Or perhaps they could get jobs building vehicles that use a lot less fuel or god forbid and alternate fuel source.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-04-2008, 16:56   #30

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Next we need to get rid of the gas guzzlers. So the license and yearly renewal fees on SUVs, Hummers, full size pick-ups that are not registered to a company, would be equal to the current value of the vehicle. Take that money as collected and reduce the taxes on gas and diesel.
This is big government nanny state, and it sucks.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel