Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2010, 17:05   #1

Question C&C 40 Tall Rig - 1981

hi

anybody knows that boat. She is for sale In Hingham (yacht world). I like to make an offer of her

thenk you all

heikkim
heikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 07:52   #2

I looked at that boat" Eddystone Light" a couple of weeks ago... port topsides from chain plate area forward to bow is soft! basicly the boat needs to be re- built from the boot strip to the deck from the chain plate area( mid-ship) all the way forward to the bow area. If the hull was sound I was going to put a deposit on it. I invested in a moisture meter and find its a great tool for a basic evaluation on these older balsa cored boats. I have looked at four C&C 40's in the last month and none are fitting the bill. Kind of sad because its such a great boat. Saw one in Stanford,CT this week and had saturation all over, maybe ok for coastal work but nothing more. Many of these boats were raced very hard in the 80's and put away wet so to say. May have also had hard groundings that may not have been repaired properly so the keels show big cracks in the leading edge.

Good luck in your search.. after talking to some very reputable surveyors sold glass hulls may be the way to go on old 25-30 year old boat. The 40 has such great lines and sailing ability but kind of think the good examples may be few and far between!
marksaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 10:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, both heikkim and marksaviation.

Seems like you’re getting good advice, right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksaviation View Post
... May have also had hard groundings that may not have been repaired properly so the keels show big cracks in the leading edge...
It;s sometimes called the "C&C Smile".
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...mile/index.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 13:51   #4

c&C sail boat

indeed. good information. Great boats but too much problems and too expensive to repair. thank's, have to start look other model,
anyway still next spring over atlantic to europe.
Dream gome alive
heikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 16:12   #5

So.......some wet core stops you from buying a boat? Let's discuss and have a bit of banter.

Painting a deck by a pro is about $500/ft. Repairing wet balsa is about $35 to $40 per squre foot (cut off the outside skin, replace wet core, re-skin). Maybe there is 60 sq ft of wet decking? The newly painted deck with Awlgrip and the core replaced cost totals $25k plus $70k, now you have $100k in the boat.

A new Tartan 41 or C&C 40 is about $450k.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 18:04   #6

That is a great idea.... particularly if you own the boat yard that is doing all the work! you got 100k into a boat with out everything else it may most likely need such as sails, new rigging, electronics, interior work ect. another 40-50k and you still have a boat worth about 30k . This is the reason these boat are on the market for years! nothing should take more than 90days to sell if it does its priced to high or its not worth fixing no mater what the price is.

Hear in New /England the paint rates at the most expensive boat yards is $250 ft... still to much to invest in a 30 year old tired boat.

I was only giving my opinion to the first fellow as have been very involved in sailing/racing since a very young child. I have owned a Newport 41 since new in 82' and had it for 23 years, fully aware of what boats cost to keep in yacht like condition.

Their are lots of old boats out their that do not need to be rebuilt, and the new owners can take them sailing with family and friends and not be laid up in a boat yard with massive bills.
Old 30-12-2010, 14:18   #7

C&C

Hello,
I am selling my C&C 40, a 1978, many upgrades, but I have 2 and 1 must go,
let me know if you have an interest!
Pete Holden

Quote:
I looked at that boat" Eddystone Light" a couple of weeks ago... port topsides from chain plate area forward to bow is soft! basicly the boat needs to be re- built from the boot strip to the deck from the chain plate area( mid-ship) all the way forward to the bow area. If the hull was sound I was going to put a deposit on it. I invested in a moisture meter and find its a great tool for a basic evaluation on these older balsa cored boats. I have looked at four C&C 40's in the last month and none are fitting the bill. Kind of sad because its such a great boat. Saw one in Stanford,CT this week and had saturation all over, maybe ok for coastal work but nothing more. Many of these boats were raced very hard in the 80's and put away wet so to say. May have also had hard groundings that may not have been repaired properly so the keels show big cracks in the leading edge.

Good luck in your search.. after talking to some very reputable surveyors sold glass hulls may be the way to go on old 25-30 year old boat. The 40 has such great lines and sailing ability but kind of think the good examples may be few and far between!
sailsun30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 05:38   #8

can I call you about this? finding a dry cored boat is tough! lots of 40's out their but most are beat up bad as far as hull voids. You can email me direct at marksaviation@verizon.net. is the boat in the New England area?
Old 31-12-2010, 06:53   #9
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
can I call you about this? finding a dry cored boat is tough! lots of 40's out their but most are beat up bad as far as hull voids. You can email me direct at marksaviation@verizon.net. is the boat in the New England area?
Lots of good cored boats out there with no problems. My 1988 Cal-39 doesn't have any coring problems. I'm trading it in in the next couple of weeks. It's a cruiser (a fast crusier) and I'm getting $60k for the trade-in so I bet the dealer would give a good deal to move it (it has racer sails that I never used and 2 spinnakers if speed is you thing) . It's in Bervely if interested.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23   #10

Nice boat.... my dad almost bought a new Cal 39 in the early 80's but we bought a Newport 41 instead looking for more of a racing cruiser that has a phrf high 70's to high 80's, I was a little low on an offer on a first 38 ocean ready, extensive new sail inventory & electronics, think they paid about 48k in oct.

Tags
c&c