Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2007, 01:52   #31

Boat: now floating easy37
if my boat was going to take 4000 hrs i would never have started as it is i am well witin my 2000 hr timeline to finish, as for building sites do it in the backyard i cannot advocate a more motivating boat building position than the back yard
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 06:46   #32

Emeraldsea....

That Origami site is pretty amazing. The photo of the Genoa 55 under construction look very interesting. I had never considered building a boat, but it does appeal to me. Reality is that coming up with the time would no doubt be very tough. Then again I probably could hire subcontractors to do much of it. But... I live in a subdivision and the HOA would quite simply have a cow and then call the cops. I would have to rent space. Another issue is that I am near Atlanta GA. Not near the ocean. Getting the boat moved when it came time would seem to be a pretty big issue with such a large boat.

I email them to get some info though.

Josef... no to a cat. They just dont appeal to me. I understand they have lots of advantages, many of which I would no doubt really like (interior space, shallow draft) but the horrid aesthetics I just cannot get past.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 16:45   #33

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
Have you bought this boat yet?
We're redoing a 71 ft wooden boat. Big Job, but partner injured her back very badly and has had surgeries and therapy. So cruising plans are put off big style. But still stuck with the boat.Hard to sell as it is mid way torn and being worked on. Though floating and running.
Old 19-06-2009, 19:01   #34

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
71?

Kris would you post some pics of your boat? I'd love to see them as I'm sure would others.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 01:45   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
71?

Kris would you post some pics of your boat? I'd love to see them as I'm sure would others.
Ditto on that.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 19:51   #36

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
Here's one pic, the rest are too large to up load, I think.
If you google for Sailing Vessel Tamoure, it is the wooden ketch.
But she has a lot taken apart now, but the genset and engine work well, new electric banks, new bilge pump plumbing with more capacity etc... As well as rotten wood being taken apart, and the interior knocked out to open her up and encourage air flow. etc... teak decks refinished, new windlass installed, upgraded tackle, etc...
BTw, actually my girlfriends boat, but I'm the onboard handyman/captain.
Kris
Old 21-06-2009, 01:11   #37

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
FWIW, that's what I did. Years (maybe a decade plus) I read an article in CW about a couple who did exactly that. It inspired me to do the same. Here's a link to my blog and if you follow it back to the beginning you'll see what I did. No regrets, but it takes a few years.

Travels of SV Far Niente
Old 21-06-2009, 06:40   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I did...am doing, the refit thing....its like washing your car, you cant just do part of it, once you start it can be addictive and its not always easy to know where to stop.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 08:54   #39

Boat: Beneteau 35
How much offshore experience do you have? Sailing in lakes in not like the big blue
bene343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 09:29   #40

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
I am hoping to be moving forward with buying a boat... If I pay that for a boat... Is one better off passing on the $200K refit boat and instead paying $90K for a boat needing everything and planning on spending $100K and lots of time/effort on a full refit...
Terry
The myriad iterations/permutations of what you are considering are almost incalculable, especially on larger vessels – and if calculating this is what entertains one, then probably rebuilding a boat is not where one’s focus/heart or resources are at the moment… from personal experience, spreadsheets are what one does (for many years on occasion) while one is coming up with the courage, time and self-confidence to actually do something outside the virtual-sphere… However, if one has the skills and actually enjoys the process, then rebuilding can be entertaining and fulfilling…

Rebuilding/refurbishing:
  • Will nearly always take two to three times your most conservative time estimate, unless you are a marine “professional” already (i.e. one is currently employed in a commercial marine environment as versus the recreational side…)
  • Is a low percentage of success endeavor – scout around the back of many marinas for evidence (those are public lessons learned, if not necessarily acknowledged…)
  • Should not be financed under any circumstances, unless there is enough of a kitty set aside to cover the inevitable shortfalls
  • May cost more than the turn-key route, unless one learns to scrounge and can control themselves when tempted by all the fascinating trinkets, ornaments and gizmos in the marina store, the next slip over or in the many marine catalogs available
  • Should not be undertaken while trying to live-aboard unless one’s marriage/relationship is more stable than most modern ones, or if (one is so lucky) that the other-half also has sizeable manual skills, steadfastness and interests
  • Is heavily dependant on the specific vessel, not brand (although that can be an entertaining factor) and the unique circumstances and competence of the skipper/rebuilder – difficult to project rates of success (see permutations note above)
  • Can be amusing, cool and a bucket of fun, but will have more than its fair share of moments when you question your own sanity…
Old 21-06-2009, 14:20   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have been involved in several re-fits over the years. As an observer, crew member, yard mechanic and self employed....I have seen it from all angles.

If you are not at your boat every week....hire somebody to be your represenative to the yard.

Get a detailed estimate.

If the boat requires removal of old wire/piping...do that yourself.

On one vessel I was on in Fort Lauderdale, the Captain or myself was aboard the boat EVERY DAY......we had a great group of INDEPENDENT contractors......one yard (where the boat originally was when we bought it) wanted to charge $4500.00 to put 3-1.5 inch holes in the boat for 3 thru hulls. I called the Captain and he said make arrangements to take the boat out of the yard......A surprised yard manager almost crapped himself when I said I want the boat launched tomorrow....I moved the vessel next door did a short haul, put three thru hulls in for $1500 which included the lift, blocking and a week long stay in the yard for some painting and other odds and ends.

Sad to say, but all too many boats become a "floating money pit" because owners didn't do their homework, would not invest in a project manager, or did not monitor the progress themselves.

I know of one owner, who had the ability to work out of his car....he would come down to the yard and sit...work...and watch.....he didn't bother me.....he is a friend today......but it really pipped off the yard owner.

I don't know where you are located...but I would be glad to give you some assistance if you want to PM me.

CE
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 14:48   #42

Boat: Beneteau 35
my first boat was a Island Packet 27 that had sat for 4 year (owner had passed away) and family finally put it up for sale. I put over $10K in refurb and sails but luckily pretty much came out even when I sold her (less my labor). Current boat (Beneteau 343) was bought new and have had headaches with warranty coverage and spending $$$ outfitting her

I doubt if I'll ever buy new again, there are a lot of boats out there that were someone elses dreams who's plans have changed that are for sale
bene343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 04:26   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
... If you are not at your boat every week....hire somebody to be your representative to the yard ...
... On one vessel I was on in Fort Lauderdale, the Captain or myself was aboard the boat EVERY DAY ...
... Sad to say, but all too many boats become a "floating money pit" because owners didn't do their homework, would not invest in a project manager, or did not monitor the progress themselves ...
This cannot be overstressed!
Every project requires competent management and supervision.
Periodic (weekly) management, and continuous (daily) supervision can be performed by the same individual, or by separate entities, depending upon the available skill sets.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 04:30   #44

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Thumbs up

It's called "standing guard"!

Tags
refit