Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 19:44   #1

Buy and SAIL????

I am in the process of buying a sailboat (if I state yacht later, then I do mean cruising sailboat), which I plan to take down to South America. I have already explored one on this forum, shipping a yacht here, as deck cargo, and I received some really useful information. Now I am going to ask advice on the other.

I would like the boat to be here or in the vicinity during Dec ’08, Jan / Feb ’09, primarily as I am aware that this is the better time to sail south, before you are battling against the bitter winds from the Antarctica.

But what is the purpose of having a boat if you don’t sail it? Of course there is the time, the weather, the hazards that we have to be aware of in some seas, and the costs, without even considering that I might not find the boat I like in Florida.

But I strike lucky and do, and not planning to sail solo, I am looking for a delivery crew.

Here are my related questions, from your experience of a journey like this:

·Where do I start looking for a qualified, experienced skipper and crew?
·How long should the passage be, from Florida to Uruguay?
·How long does it take to get a boat ready to sail, assuming it is in reasonable cruising condition?
·Do most insurance companies cover this type of transportation as a norm or do I have to ask for something more specific?
·How much can one assume as the daily costs for food, supplies etc? Fuel, I appreciate, will depend on how much the engine is used?
·Information about the minimum requirements for fitting out a yacht with safety features as required for insurance purposes, in addition to the safety of the crew.
·Please feel free to suggest anything else that I may have (not written) or maybe have thought about.

I am currently reading all types of literature and hunting for information on websites, however a push in the right direction would be welcomed.

If it would at all be possible to happen so quickly, then I am on my way to Florida shopping, but please be aware I will not buy just to achieve this desire to have a boat in South America by the dates stated above.

I seek information with NO expectations if the purchase will happen this year or in years to come. I am just covering all my options before making any final decision.

Thanks
rascalarg

p.s. honesty welcome
rascalarg is offline   Reply With Quote