Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2009, 22:01   #91

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I think a person has to understand that no matter what you got the boat for, if you go heavy on the upgrades you'll never get the money back...but you might preserve the price that the boat was originally bought for. The only way you can possibly break even is you buy the boat cheap, don't do anything to it, and try to sell it for about what you bought it for after a year.

I knew when we bought our boat that any money we put into it was for our own edification, and I don't even think about trying to get that money back if we ever sell it.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 04:47   #92

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
JiffyLube is dead on! Just like houses and cars, the value is in the eye of the beholder, both buyer and seller, We are also talking about the general public, who are the most fickle buyers and sellers of anything. One man may sell his boat for a price he is content with, another may buy one and feel content. There is no standard, especially in these times, so this discussion is academic.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 06:33   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I don’t see where you guys are getting these numbers from....My 1978 48ft S/V was just over 100gs in 2003

The new engine it needed 3years later was around 20...I installed.
New mast and standing rigging 20
winches 9
bow thruster 5
Auto P. and electronics 17
And that’s just some of the easy numbers.....and doesn’t include and remodeling...plumbing...electrical system...sails....teak....gas system....batteries.....running rigging.....hoses…..fasteners……..dingy/motor…..paint…………..
I don’t know what you consider a "refit" but to me it means a lot more than varnish and a new chart plotter.

I will easily have 200% in mine and that doesn’t include the 5years in the marina at 8gs a year…
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 08:05   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bow thruster: added luxury?
New mast?? One assumes, damage repair, not routine maintenance??
Winches? An upgrade, or can you really wear them out past rebuilds?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 03:15   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
I'm 20 tones, full keel, almost 6ft of freeboard, cruising grounds is the med which means stern too docking....for me, the bow thruster was necessary....but then again I'm not as skilled as many.

Original mast was wood...seemed OK, but unfortunately had been painted at some point and the extent of the rot wasn’t as visible as if it had been varnished...could have been repaired and varnished but the thought of maintaining varnish on it was just a none starter for me.

Winches were Barlow...some parts are still available....this was probably a vanity thing...its like new rims on your car after a paint job...ya just have to do it!

I’ll admit that I did pay more than I should have.

The thing is when I think of what a “refit” is, it’s bringing her up to like new condition.

I here lots of people say refit, when in fact it’s more like a tidy-up.
Old 18-03-2009, 03:39   #96
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
if it had been varnished....
You do like the odd lick of varnish, James. Your boat piccies are beautiful

I prefer nice, gentle on the elbow grease, fiberglass Your washboards are a case in point... mine I can chuck into the bottom of the lazarette and throw a few oars, boathook, a dinghy & a cupla buckets etc on top!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 04:02   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Mark

You're right about the varnish...I do like it, but then, I did to many drugs in my youth and recognize that I probably have drain bramage!

Also I have a guy who varnishes for me when I've had my fill.....did I forget to mention that!

I'm not world cruising like you two, so don’t have the hassle of maintaining it along the way....if I did, There wouldn’t be ANY varnish out side.

And when anyone gets close to my wash boards I say ”HEY…HEY.. just step away slowly with your hands where I can see them and we’ll all be OK”
Old 20-03-2009, 22:49   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I'm 20 tones, full keel, almost 6ft of freeboard, cruising grounds is the med which means stern too docking....for me, the bow thruster was necessary....but then again I'm not as skilled as many.

Original mast was wood...seemed OK, but unfortunately had been painted at some point and the extent of the rot wasn’t as visible as if it had been varnished...could have been repaired and varnished but the thought of maintaining varnish on it was just a none starter for me.

Winches were Barlow...some parts are still available....this was probably a vanity thing...its like new rims on your car after a paint job...ya just have to do it!

I’ll admit that I did pay more than I should have.

The thing is when I think of what a “refit” is, it’s bringing her up to like new condition.

I here lots of people say refit, when in fact it’s more like a tidy-up.
Our refit if you can call it that wasn't nearlt as expensive as yours, but that could be because the PO took pretty good care of the boat. The condition of a newly purchased used boat makes a big difference in what a refit will cost. Either pay more for a good used boat (and less for the refit), or pay less for a not very good boat (and much more for the refit).
Old 20-03-2009, 22:55   #99

After looking at the pictures of you pretty looking boat James, I can see why your refit cost you so much money!
Old 20-03-2009, 23:30   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Jiffylube

I bought the boat from my dad.
He had her built, and she was a huge part of him realizing his life long dream for many years.

I really want to be as proud of her as my dad always was.....and so far I am.

I never think about the cost or the bits and pieces.....its not a financial investment for me...It’s a Zen investment.

And if I do it well, it'll be a good enough job that I can pass her on to my girls.

That’s my motivation.
Old 30-03-2009, 14:00   #101
cruiser

Boat values

James's cost are absolutely no indication of what it costs a resourceful person to get underweigh. I have never had a bow thruster nor a boat big enough to justify one. I sailed without electrics for decades before installing them. Then it was always pay as you go. I bought my Arco 40's at a dock sale for $150. Meanwhile I didn't let lack of luxuries stop me from cruising 11 months a year. We are awash in used gear in perfectly useable condition.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote