Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 18:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Boat Buyer's Arsenal of Inspection Equipment

So I've been looking at boats for months now.
Finally progressed from online searches to visiting and boarding various boats.
I've gone over many a post/thread/blog concerning inspecting boats inside and out by a buyer (not a real surveyor).
I was using the plastic handle of a screwdriver for tapping surfaces, my eyeballs/nose/fingers/feet where I can, and a handled inspection mirror that I can angle in place and with a flashlight(torch for some of you) to view the nether regions of the boats(yeah... I went there... )
Today I acquired a pretty cool tool that will not only assist me with a boat inspection... but also other needs on land.
A lighted inspection scope!
This is a low-priced one that usually retails for $70-$80 (USD) and I got it for $50!
I'm STOKED!
In one picture you can see me inspecting the inside of an umbrella can with the 40 inch cable.
The other image of the scope shows the color image on the screen.
I have a button for flipping the image vertically, and 2 buttons to brighten or dim the lights surrounding the camera.
If this works as good as I think it will.... I'm gonna go around the Marina and offer Sigmoidoscopies! FOR CHEAP!
Unfortunately... being only 40 inches long... I won't be able to do a full Colonoscopy (more money!).
Might even consider offering a cheap Esophagoscopy... but if they do a tosser... that'd just be gross!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0226171719.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	142054   Click image for larger version

Name:	0226171717.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	142055  

Name:	0226171717b.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	142056  
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 19:14   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Boat Buyer's Arsenal of Inspection Equipment

you can also get a cheap unit that will attach to your smart phone or PC for less than $20 on eBay.
Old 26-02-2017, 20:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
you can also get a cheap unit that will attach to your smart phone or PC for less than $20 on eBay.
COOL!
But I don't have a smart phone or pc....
Do you have a name or link to it though? You got me curious now.
Old 27-02-2017, 07:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
You can and I recently bought one. Has LED lights in the head, but trying to inspect my chain plates was really difficult and needed another torch in addition to the LEDs. the video frame rate and pixels was very low results in poor pictures so difficult to see clearly what was going on. Probably better to spend a few extra $$ for something a bit better.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
I've gone over many a post/thread/blog concerning inspecting boats inside and out by a buyer (not a real surveyor).
I was using the plastic handle of a screwdriver for tapping surfaces, my eyeballs/nose/fingers/feet where I can, and a handled inspection mirror that I can angle in place and with a flashlight(torch for some of you) to view the nether regions of the boats(yeah... I went there... )
Today I acquired a pretty cool tool that will not only assist me with a boat inspection... but also other needs on land.
This is a low-priced one that usually retails for $70-$80 (USD) and I got it for $50!
I'm STOKED!
In one picture you can see me inspecting the inside of an umbrella can with the 40 inch cable.
I have a button for flipping the image vertically, and 2 buttons to brighten or dim the lights surrounding the camera.
If this works as good as I think it will.... I'm gonna go around the Marina and offer Sigmoidoscopies! FOR CHEAP!
Unfortunately... being only 40 inches long... I won't be able to do a full Colonoscopy (more money!).
Might even consider offering a cheap Esophagoscopy... but if they do a tosser... that'd just be gross!
No, that's a good idea. I've declined to purchase boats based on shots I've taken at arm's length with a camera under a sole or hatch, but I went to school for film and don't need to be seeing through the lens to take a good shot. I would see if this "scope" has a USB output or way to save a screen grab so you can inspect the picture on a bigger screen. Either that or a selfie stick and a Go Pro typel of mini-cam.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 09:01   #6

I just bought this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Ehome-Endosco...CB83Y0DJGZHY12 $13 with Prime free 2 day shipping. I think the focal length is 2-3 inches so won't do you much good beyond that, but for bigger picture use use that selfie stick and your phone - and bring along some sort of grabber that can pick up your phone after you drop in some tight little spot. I use my phone al the time to grab shots of places I can't see when working on my car.
Brooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 09:10   #7

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

You'll save a ton of change on doing your own preinspection and weeding out those that are not worthy. You'll also have some good info to compare when you go for a marine survey on your (hopefully) final choice.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 10:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
...I would see if this "scope" has a USB output or way to save a screen grab so you can inspect the picture on a bigger screen. Either that or a selfie stick and a Go Pro typel of mini-cam.
This unit has an 1/8" outlet for AV.
So I can only do live to my computer, say, and as I progress along with the viewing probably take screenshots.

I've been trying it out at home... inside various acoustic guitars, mtbike handlebars and frames (through the seat tube), nooks & crannies around the house.
Funny... because the screen is in one hand and the lens in another, I keep wanting to adjust my point-of-view by moving the screen
But with practice, I'm getting the hang of it... sorta like using electric clippers to cut my own hair and when getting around to the nape of the neck, using 2 mirrors and trying wrap (or warp as I first typed) my brain around steering the clippers precisely where I want to cut!

I was at a local sporting goods store yesterday and spied a light rig for the GoPro. Selling for $100.00, with 3 L.E.D.s, waterproof do a decent depth, and rechargeable like all the other modern electronics.
I was looking for a decent dive light so I can use my GoPro and take a look at hulls on boats sitting in the water (and yes, I'm aware of potential dangers diving in the waters of marinas ).
This unit can be stacked along with the GoPro onto a selfie stick so I have one solid unit instead of devices in both hands or attached to my body, my hand, my head........

While it would be better to haul the boat out everytime... for my basic inspections, a peek underwater while filming will be probably be worth the effort. First time doing that, so we'll see. I used to clean boathulls down in SoCal for a 'living' while attending commercial dive school... DON'T DRINK THE WATER! hahaha
Old 27-02-2017, 10:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooderman View Post
I just bought this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Ehome-Endosco...CB83Y0DJGZHY12 $13 with Prime free 2 day shipping. I think the focal length is 2-3 inches so won't do you much good beyond that, but for bigger picture use use that selfie stick and your phone - and bring along some sort of grabber that can pick up your phone after you drop in some tight little spot. I use my phone al the time to grab shots of places I can't see when working on my car.
While I think this would be just what some folks would need/like, it's not my style.
The weight of the cable flexing on the phone plug concerns me for one thing.
On my rig, the attachment is solid, screwed down tight.

Plus, with my unit, I won't worry if I drop it into a wet bilge/hold, or knock it about a bit. It also has a pistol-grip which for my hands, would allow for a much more secure grasp on it.

Amazing what a person can do with their smart-phone nowadays!
Old 27-02-2017, 10:32   #10

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooderman View Post
I look forward to your review of this USB borescope
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 10:45   #11

Here's a picture from inside a guitar.
Taken with my flip phone of the screen... it's not that great, but I can tell you that the image on the scope's screen shows the wood grain clearly!
You might be able to make out part of the kerfling and tailblock of the guitar.

Nice color as well.... the over glued portions showed up clearly to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0227171027.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	142094  
Old 27-02-2017, 10:53   #12

Here's a peek down the inside of a seat tube on one of my mountain bikes.
Diameter of the tube is 31.6mm, if that interests anyone.
What you are seeing is the inside half of a screw boss... the place that on the outside... you screw on your waterbottle cage.
It's actually a riveted threaded insert into the aluminum tube.
Nice picture.. again, from scope screen through my cellphone camera lens.
The image I see on my scope screen is MUCH clearer and more detailed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0227171029.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	142095  
Old 27-02-2017, 10:59   #13

Now I just need to get me a moisture meter and I'm all set to save TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on boat surveys!
Thanks to YOUBOOB.... I mean... YOUTUBE... I am a Professional in ANY trade I wanna be!
Oh... and of course let's not forget all the helpful tips I get here!
I won't be getting a moisture meter unless I do much more studying on the subject and feel like I have a really good scientific understanding of it's use and the interpretation of it's readings.
But with everything else I have... at least I'll be a better informed buyer...
SO.... what do you all use when inspecting your own boats or looking at boats for sale?
Old 27-02-2017, 12:46   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Now I just need to get me a moisture meter and I'm all set to save TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on boat surveys!
Thanks to YOUBOOB.... I mean... YOUTUBE... I am a Professional in ANY trade I wanna be!
Oh... and of course let's not forget all the helpful tips I get here!
I won't be getting a moisture meter unless I do much more studying on the subject and feel like I have a really good scientific understanding of it's use and the interpretation of it's readings.
But with everything else I have... at least I'll be a better informed buyer...
SO.... what do you all use when inspecting your own boats or looking at boats for sale?
Even without a pc or a smartphone?
Old 27-02-2017, 14:02   #15

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
I'm STOKED!

Looks great! Now get yourself a good pair of knee pads so that you can get right over the bilge area in question and spend as much time there comfortably as you may need. They are my favorite boat inspection accessory!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, equipment, inspection, men