Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 14:50   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Boat Buyer's Arsenal of Inspection Equipment

That device will be great for giving yourself a cystoscopy...can't be any more painful than the one I just got.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post

I was at a local sporting goods store yesterday and spied a light rig for the GoPro. Selling for $100.00, with 3 L.E.D.s, waterproof do a decent depth, and rechargeable like all the other modern electronics.
I was looking for a decent dive light so I can use my GoPro and take a look at hulls on boats sitting in the water (and yes, I'm aware of potential dangers diving in the waters of marinas ).
This unit can be stacked along with the GoPro onto a selfie stick so I have one solid unit instead of devices in both hands or attached to my body, my hand, my head........

While it would be better to haul the boat out everytime... for my basic inspections, a peek underwater while filming will be probably be worth the effort.
Why would you go through all this unless you were serious about buying that particular boat?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 17:55   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here's a link to using and buying a moisture meter by Mainesail

Understanding the Moisture Meter / Electrophysics CT-33 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

This should help. Easy to use - the trick is knowing when they are wrong like when there is metal behind the fiberglass.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:19   #19

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Why would you go through all this unless you were serious about buying that particular boat?
Not sure about your question.. but I'll try and answer..
Walking around the boat while it is at dock or on the hard seems like the natural first step after answering the "For Sale" ad, and doing the initial online search for make/model info.
Actually getting onboard the boat, whether it's only on deck or actually below deck too, is the next stage.
If I'm still interested by that time, actually seeing the bottom condition is important for getting as complete a picture as I can.
If the boat is in water and the $380 roundtrip haulout fee seems a bit much at the time... diving on it seems to be a logical step for ME to take... maybe not anyone else.
In my life, I tend to go beyond what the average person who knows me feels is adequate. No matter if it's inspecting something before buying it... becoming educated on a topic, working on something around the house, etc
This is the way I am.
This is what makes me feel comfortable, well-rounded knowledge-wise, fills my day, brings meaning to my small earthling life on this speck of a planet, brings me closer to..... awwww.... you get the point, right?
My former wife used to ask, "If you had to pay yourself for the amount of time you put into that... how much do you think you would have made? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone to do it?"
Yeah.... I'm one of THOSE people!
So I hope I read your question correctly and my answer satisfies your interest?
No matter though.... I can chalk up another lengthy reply to my reputation here!
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
That device will be great for giving yourself a cystoscopy...can't be any more painful than the one I just got.
Got ya covered!
Also... I've worked EMS in the streets of 2 large cities, worked in medical laboratories at time wielding sharp stainless steel bleeding apparatus.... so actually... I'll bet I could make my back-alley 'scope WAY more painful than the professional one you got!.... uh... assuming you did get yours at a reputable clinic/hospital?
And... reading your post again... I've had all my 'scoping done so this would be available to others... not for me!
Old 27-02-2017, 18:24   #21

Quote:
Not sure about your question.. but I'll try and answer..
Walking around the boat while it is at dock or on the hard seems like the natural first step after answering the "For Sale" ad, and doing the initial online search for make/model info.
Actually getting onboard the boat, whether it's only on deck or actually below deck too, is the next stage.
If I'm still interested by that time, actually seeing the bottom condition is important for getting as complete a picture as I can.
If the boat is in water and the $380 roundtrip haulout fee seems a bit much at the time... diving on it seems to be a logical step for ME to take... maybe not anyone else.
In my life, I tend to go beyond what the average person who knows me feels is adequate. No matter if it's inspecting something before buying it... becoming educated on a topic, working on something around the house, etc
This is the way I am.
This is what makes me feel comfortable, well-rounded knowledge-wise, fills my day, brings meaning to my small earthling life on this speck of a planet, brings me closer to..... awwww.... you get the point, right?
My former wife used to ask, "If you had to pay yourself for the amount of time you put into that... how much do you think you would have made? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire someone to do it?"
Yeah.... I'm one of THOSE people!
So I hope I read your question correctly and my answer satisfies your interest?
No matter though.... I can chalk up another lengthy reply to my reputation here!
Got it, I think.

You want to be the best boat looker ever.

Enjoy.
Old 27-02-2017, 18:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here's a link to using and buying a moisture meter by Mainesail

Understanding the Moisture Meter / Electrophysics CT-33 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

This should help. Easy to use - the trick is knowing when they are wrong like when there is metal behind the fiberglass.
Thanks! Looks like a good read!
Luckily this isn't the $2000.00 one! lol
Old 27-02-2017, 18:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
Looks great! Now get yourself a good pair of knee pads so that you can get right over the bilge area in question and spend as much time there comfortably as you may need. They are my favorite boat inspection accessory!
I was just about to grab a knee pad (gardner's foam pad) to bring along today when going to look inside a boat... didn't dawn on me to grab one of the pairs of kneepads!
Although mine are all hardshell (carpenter, mountain bike, skateboarding).
Thanks for the idea! I might have soft-face ones somewhere at home.
Old 27-02-2017, 20:26   #24

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Quote:
Might even consider offering a cheap Esophagoscopy... but if they do a tosser... that'd just be gross!
Hopefully not after the aforementioned procedure!!
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 21:19   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Boat inspection etiquette.

1. Do not waste your time.

- What are the top 5 qualities it must have for consideration.

- What are the top 5 deficiencies to immediately eliminate from contention.

This should weed out 95% of potentials before you ever make an inspection appointment.

2. Do not waste their time. On inspection, I generally know if a boat is a prospect in 15 minutes. I'll give a prospect up to an hour for first inspection.

3. Respect the owners property. This is not your boat and may never be. Leave the percussion equipment, moisture meters, and scopes, etc. at home.

4. Earn the right to perform a thorough inspection of
someone else's property. It's called a conditional offer.

I can spot a career shopper away; inspecting boats not even remotely interested in as an alternative form of entertainment to actually sailing.

No harm in conducting a very thorough inspection before bringing in a surveyor. No point in wasting everyone's time if you won't put in an offer, subject to more thorough inspection, after an hour of looking.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 23:35   #26

Quote:
Got it, I think.

You want to be the best boat looker ever.

Enjoy.
I don't know if you are just toying with me now... or you REALLY UNDERSTAND ME?
lol
Thanks for trying anyway....
Old 27-02-2017, 23:56   #27

Quote:
I don't know if you are just toying with me now... or you REALLY UNDERSTAND ME?
lol
Thanks for trying anyway....
Maybe?

I have this image of you arriving to look at my boat for sale dressed in fins, scuba tank, face mask and head light, carrying meters, percussion tools and a lottery ticket with the intention of spending the day gathering "information" to add to an ever expanding spreadsheet.

Better yet, a boat show.

Close?
Old 28-02-2017, 15:03   #28

Quote:
Maybe?

I have this image of you arriving to look at my boat for sale dressed in fins, scuba tank, face mask and head light, carrying meters, percussion tools and a lottery ticket with the intention of spending the day gathering "information" to add to an ever expanding spreadsheet.

Better yet, a boat show.

Close?
Well.... I don't normally divulge this sort of information... I like my anonymity... but yeah... ALL THAT... BUT... concealed under a trench coat!
Don't want to tip off other potential buyers of a GOOD DEAL!
Old 28-02-2017, 16:49   #29

Quote:
Maybe?

Better yet, a boat show.

Close?

No need to overload oneself. I'd be trailing behind with the handtruck packed with the toolboxes, portable generator and video equipment. Hopefully a decent restaurant will be nearby.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52   #30

Boat: Lots of boats.

I too use a standalone recordable video borescope with screen that I use a lot (not shown below). But the flexible cable is only something like a meter long (36"?) so I'm starting to use a USB camera which is roughly 5 meters long. Could probably work out a way to connect it in place of the other one, but have not played with it yet. And you don't really have to worry about the camera hooking to your phone and snapping off. You use a wire cable for that. The flexible shaft camera is separately hand directed.

I also use a Seek Thermal camera which takes some getting used to but shows a lot of hidden details. Wonderful tool I find new uses for this thing every day. And an inexpensive pinless moisture meter, General MMD7NP which is only about $40 US. It will not show exact moisture percentages as it was designed for construction type materials, but as with any moisture meter, you find that its usefulness is with indicating relative moisture. Dry vs wet. It finds moisture and that is really the bottom line.

I also use a small hammer with different interchangeable heads. Tend to use brass and copper, although it comes with nylon and two different plastic heads as well. And I use a mechanics mirror and a flashlight. Which is still my low tech go-to tool of choice. I restore old motorcycles AND boats and some of these tools are useful for both. Like the borescope and thermal cameras in particular. Hope this helps!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373[1].jpg
Views:	91
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	142182
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, equipment, inspection, men