Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 10:36   #1
HIP

Bigger cost: very big monohull or medium big catamaran

I was hoping to get everyone's impression on what boat ownership and cruising would be more expensive over the long haul.
Say you have a big crew and want to comfortably fit 6 on board. You hope to complete a circumnavigation and take your time doing it (over several years).

What type of boat do you think will be more economical (I use this term loosely) over the long run?

Say you are deciding between a 55 ft monohull or 44 ft catamaran. Do you think the the costs of a shorter length of the catamaran will make up for the increased maintenance costs of having two engines and two hulls?

Do you think mooring or marina fees will be a big difference?

What about longer term storage if you need to go back to the real world and earn some cruising kitty money?

If there is a big difference would you spend more upfront to buy a newer/bigger/ more well equipped boat initially since you'll likely spend less long term?

Any other unforeseen costs that one side has over the other?

Does it even really matter because you're out there living your dream and sailing and traveling?

I imagine a lot of the answers will be it depends but I'd love to hear about individuals cruising styles and how those styles match up with the boat you use.

Thanks to any long term experienced cruisers who find time to reply.
HIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 10:43   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410
Re: Bigger cost: very big monohull or medium big catamaran

"Don't worry, the expenses will expand to fill the available budget."- My Father
InTheDish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 10:53   #3

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I can only tell you about when I was looking for a cruising live aboard motor driven cat.
We went down into the starboard hull with galley, berthing area and head. I was very comfortable, I looked at my then-wife seeking her approval.... Her eyes were big a bucket bottoms. She was not comfortable with the narrowness of the space. We went down into the second hull which included another head and berth etc. Needless to say, that was the end of me considering a cat. Less than 2 years into the marriage, she left me for a "better" and "on-shore" offer. chuckle
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 11:07   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

On a several-year circumnavigation, how much time do you really expect to spend at a dock?

We generally come up to a dock only a few times a year to take on diesel -- and only stay tied up to a dock if we're going to be away from the boat for a long time and a secure mooring isn't available.

Unless you plan to use your boat differently, I wouldn't think dockage costs are relevant for long-term cruising. Mooring costs generally don't vary with LOA, although that is starting to change in some places.

So no, I don't think mooring or marina fees would vary that much.

With 6 people onboard, and a circumnavigation planned, I would be thinking about the amount of weight you'll want to carry. Fuel and water for passages will be significant -- I believe your water tankage should be sufficient for your longest passage even if you have a water maker -- since if the watermaker fails you'll be relying on your stored water (or scavenging rainwater). Consider the weight of gear and provisions, tender, toys and diving gear, ground tackle, tools and spares, electrical storage and generation, etc. Everyone makes different choices, but we carry about 7Tons extra between gear and tankage. Consider the weight carrying capacity of any vessel you choose.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 11:57   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I think from a boat maintenance/upkeep point that the two options are pretty much a wash and shouldn’t be part your decision
Old 27-09-2017, 12:05   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I am a cat guy, have owned them and cruised them but they do have their limitations as do all boats but consider the weight of gear you and your crew will be carrying for your lifestyle.

A large mono can usually suck up the weight without affecting performance whereas a cat will become a dog.
Its why we got what we got.
Near 5000 litres of water on board for example - makes no difference to her and one less system (desalinator) to worry about.

The list of pro's are long.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:20   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Well if you buy the 55' monohull, you'll be down to two people by the time you get halfway around the world because four will leave from the lack of privacy lol. A catamaran, from a practical standpoint with that many people, is the better choice.

As for costs, it's very difficult to say. I assume you're buying used since if you bought either of those new you'd not be worrying about which one was more economical.

Buying used, all it will take is one big repair on one or the other boat to eclipse the difference in running costs between the two, if there is any.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:23   #8
cruiser

Six people in either boat is going to be a tight fit. Kinda like being on a multi-year charter.

You'll be better off with the 44' Catamaran, more privacy and space to spread out on deck.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:27   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Six people in either boat is going to be a tight fit. Kinda like being on a multi-year charter.... yuck.
Yep, 2 of us on a 60 is nice - get friends or family on for more than a week and its time to get rid of them.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:29   #10
HIP

Quote:
Six people in either boat is going to be a tight fit. Kinda like being on a multi-year charter.... yuck.
If cost were no object would you go 60 plus? Do you feel like you would be even more limited on where you could go as far as shallow harbors/ marinas or is it pretty much the same once you get over 40ft?
HIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 12:36   #11

Quote:
Six people in either boat is going to be a tight fit. Kinda like being on a multi-year charter.

You'll be better off with the 44' Catamaran, more privacy and space to spread out on deck.
I beg to differ. At 58' monohull we're not that much bigger than 55' and handle a family of 7 easily -- and occasionally cruise with up to 4 guests as well. (7 guests was WAY too many). Keeping structure/order is important -- for example having the kids stow their clothes so they're not strewn everywhere.
Old 27-09-2017, 12:37   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIP View Post
If cost were no object would you go 60 plus? Do you feel like you would be even more limited on where you could go as far as shallow harbors/ marinas or is it pretty much the same once you get over 40ft?
If I were to take the next step up, it would be to a 70ft monohull, which offers about the same space as a 45 ft catamaran like a newer Lagoon or Fountaine Pajot. Catamarans need to be evaluated individually, since some are much larger than others of a given length.

Example: An Outremer 55 is tiny compared to a Lagoon 450.
Old 27-09-2017, 12:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIP View Post
It depends on where you want to go. I had never had a problem before until I planned on going to the Exumas -- and now our 8' draft has us limited.

As far as LOA, there are a few points at which things change -- and that depends where you are going. For example, Cuttyhunk inner harbor doesn't have moorings for boats over 50', and the National Park Service moorings in St. John, USVI are only for boats under 60'. At 65', rules/equipment start changing.
Old 27-09-2017, 12:44   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I beg to differ. At 58' monohull we're not that much bigger than 55' and handle a family of 7 easily -- and occasionally cruise with up to 4 guests as well. (7 guests was WAY too many). Keeping structure/order is important -- for example having the kids stow their clothes so they're not strewn everywhere.
Well good for you. But I suggest the OP try one on for size before buying, because I personally couldn't imagine being onboard a 55ft monohull with the "Brady Bunch," for several years.
Old 27-09-2017, 12:47   #15

Quote:
Well good for you. But I suggest the OP try one on for size before buying, because I personally couldn't imagine being onboard a 55ft monohull with the "Brady Bunch."
Key to my survival is that our cabin is in the stern, separated from the rest of the below-decks space by the galley on one side and the head/shower/nav station on the other. When it all gets too much for me, I can retreat to my quiet place

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull