Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 17:00   #16

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel
Re: Better to sell in Grenada or Florida?

I sold our 42 foot ketch lying in St. Croix. The buyer sent his wife down by herself to see the boat - based on the pictures I had sent him he was convinced it was the boat he wanted. His wife came down, asked a few questions about this and that and then we proceeded to take her out to dinner and drinks, tour the island the next day, more dinner and drinks and she flew out the next day. As part of the deal I offered to deliver "my" boat to Florida. He would fly down from the mid-Atlantic and pay me and I'd deliver "his" boat to the Chesapeake Bay. Worked well, everybody happy.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 18:39   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

Following, Our Taswell has been a great boat for the past 25 years, but now, at 77, we're starting to think the time to change direction may be coming soon. We "summer over" on the hard in Puerto Rico, then sail the season in the east/NE Caribb.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

I sold a boat quickly in Puerto Rico to an all-cash buyer. I was in Hawaii at the time but the buyer already had three other boats based at the same marina in PR as my boat. Fast and simple but I don't think marketing boat located in Grenada. Nice place but the logistics, not to mention money transfers, could get dicey.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:30   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

IMHO- unless the boat is a super-sexy-- Amel/Oyster/ETC and clean- it will languish there.
Boat buyers have to fly to look at the boat, fly for survey and sea trial, fly to close on the boat. And then deal with getting repairs done.

Some of the brokers in the islands are a tad "dodgy". So if the boat is in good shape, bring it up, or have it brought up.

As a delivery guy, I don't exactly trust many of the surveys done offshore.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 19:43   #20

Boat: B423

Wherever you decide to place it on the market make sure it is in the water. Clean ,wax and stage it a little. You want professional looking pictures and the ability to show a tidy and seaworthy boat.

It seems like 90 percent of sellers can’t manage this. The brokers won’t do it for you. If they say they will, it won’t be done well.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, Grenada