Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 20:39   #16

Boat: Looking for a boat
Thanks all for the feedback and advice on monthly cruising costs. I broke everything down and think that I will be able to do it for $2000 a month (but I have a cushion of another $1000+ if I am wrong.)

I've found that on land and cruising I have just as much fun at eating at cheap local restaurants (with an occasional splurge) anchoring out most of the time (except when I find cheap berthage) and, entertainment is often looking for parts in exotic places. (In fact one cruiser once told me that the definition of "cruising" is "looking for parts and supplies in exotic places.")

For you guys that are going to be spending over $4000 to $5000 a month, I hope that you will invite me aboard as you will certainly have better booze and dining than we will.

Again, thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 16-03-2010, 21:12   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I'm planning on $2500 a month for 3 including a couple of expensive prescriptions. I prefer taco stands and grubby burger joints to places with a wine list. I'm including boat upgrades, repairs, and maintenance in that. I think 2k would cover it easy but my wife's budget is different than mine. If I were single and 20 I think I could do it for $2500.00 a year unless something broke.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 12:23   #18

Boat: Looking for a boat
To sww914 I think that I am somewhere in the middle as far as budget. I like low to middle end restaurants that have local fare. I plan to have a boat that is around 47' and has redundancy of the most critical systems such as an auto pilot, gps's, etc.

I usually like being on the hook unless a cheap berth is available or I plan to stay for some time and I can get a reasonable monthly rate. I am hoping to average $1500 a month plus a high deductible health care policy that will cost $900 a month for the two of us. But, if the costs is higher than I anticipate, I will have a cushion of around $600 to fall back on.

Dave
Old 18-03-2010, 14:09   #19

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
To everyone, thanks for your thoughts. I really don't know how much we'll spend, but I'm guessing high, so that I know we have more than enough freedom chips.

Maybe we really can go sooner!
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 14:34   #20

Boat: Caliber 33 BRISA
10k a month is $2,300 per week. I don't know how you can spend that much per week. That would be week after week. Are you planning on have full time crew?
cabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 17:57   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Smile Budget

Our cruising budget..
No marina's only when absolutely necessary.
We don't drink alcohol or smoke.
Right now our boat is new, so very few repairs. (New, that's why we don't have a big budget).
We are spending 700 a month in Australia. And Australia is expensive.
We try to sail as much as possible, we do have insurance, but no ties to anything on the shore (Hooray for that!).

15 years ago, I spent 6 years sailing in Australia (and plenty of drinking) and two of us lived on 10,000 a year.
I think it can be done cheap, it means taking the time to make the right choices when you do have to open your wallet.
I don't know about the Med, heard that is more expensive. My friends sailed around the world from Australia only 6 years ago on 12,000 a year.
I would rather spend less and live on a smaller budget than go back to work ashore anyday.
Good Luck! Do it now, go cruising now my brother it is later than you think!
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 04:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo View Post
10k a month is $2,300 per week. I don't know how you can spend that much per week. That would be week after week. Are you planning on have full time crew?
Nope, just my wife and me, plus the occasional guests. We're just finishing paying college tuition, so maybe that's why I shot high. The budget comes way down after tuition is done.
Old 19-03-2010, 04:48   #23
CLOD

Boat: none
Just another "how much" thread with lots of "if's" and low number of real answers. I'm starting to think there aren't many real cruisers on this site (this includes me as a not) or they just don't answer.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 04:59   #24

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Talking Thanks to All

After reading through this thread and a few others like it, we will be accelerating our plans to be out of here. What we've now realized is that we have more than enough to cruise in comfort (for us) until we can't cruise any more or the world ends -- which ever comes first. As OsirisSail so rightly pointed out one size does not fit all but what we have is perfect for us.
We had planned on leaving in about two-and-a-half years but it's gonna be sooner than that. We've started the process of getting rid of all the 'stuff' we can't take with us ( just about everything) including 3 houses, 2 cars, all the furnishings, clothes (we may store some very good art work which we like a lot). But that's it. What we can't sell or give to our kids will be donated.
The boat is paid for, the money for our three major upgrades (Spectra watermaker, wind generator, and replacing standing rigging) is in the bank.
Once the work is done and the stuff is gone so are we.
We figure our major fixed expenses are going to be medical insurance at about $1k/month and boat insurance. After that we're budgeting about $2k for living expenses -- food, occasional dockage, fuel, eating out and other incidentals, communications charges. To meet that we have my Navy pension, another pension, social security and income from our 401k, plus income from what we get from selli.jng everything. This will be more than 10k/month giving us a reasonable backup for boat upgrades and repairs and flying home to see the grandkids and for other major family events.
Our plan now, get rid of everything and go

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 10:40   #25

Boat: Pearson 281
Sail on Enchantress!

Thanks for all the info from the experienced cruisers and I apreciate the fact that it's difficult to produce hard numbers on cruising costs. We are looking at 2500 per month and the info here supports other sources that suggest that such a budget is not unreal for two who don't mind living on the hook and can now manage most of our own repairs. Pretty encouraging.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 15:52   #26

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Talking Hooray!

Enchantress!

Right on! We did the same thing last year this time. With the economy in the tank we thought we would have to wait another two years. Our house was worth much less than we had counted on, the rental house was a complete loss, our business was worth only a fraction of what it would have been a few years earlier. We felt it was going to take the economy a long time to turn around, and the one thing all of us have is limited time, can't buy or borrow any more. My husband was 59 and waiting another 2 to 5 years definitely would make a difference.
We gave away so much stuff, tried to sell what we could, but the happiest day for me was when we got an offer on the house, I knew it was going to happen. We went from a 4 bedroom house with 3 car shop and business to move to Australia and buy a boat.. So not only were we moving to a boat, but overseas, so we got rid of everything except our absolutes. It's difficult to part with ART especially when you can't get anything for it!
We felt that storage was out of the question, we didn't want the storage fees.
So Im excited for you. You already have your boat, so that's a plus. We had to find our boat... or rather our boat found us.
What I didn't expect... We had achieved our dream, I expected to be filled with energy and life, and excitement, like I was 20 again eh? What it was for us, we were tired, the actual transition of selling up and starting anew is exhausting, managing the zillion details and pieces of paperwork and stuff was tremendous. I didn't anticipate that. Now though...6 months later we are cruising, we are rested and the fruit is rippening. We are feeling the tingle of coolness as fall comes to Australia, and we are sailing North toward the tropics. That is what makes my blood run faster than anything!
I always felt like I never wanted to come to die and realise I never lived!
Hooray for you and others that are brave enough to let go of the land.
Sometimes taking the first step is the hardest!
Vaya con Dios (Go with God!)
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:19   #27
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
Nope, just my wife and me, plus the occasional guests. We're just finishing paying college tuition, so maybe that's why I shot high. The budget comes way down after tuition is done.
I just don't understand! You pay OFF truition and the budget gets smaller? But then $10k/month isn't a budget to 99% of us, it's a wet dream at the minimum.

How much are you really planning on spending per month cruising?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:35   #28

I don't really know. We've been boat owners for 25 years, and we have honored Vanderbilt's maxim of not counting what we spent. I have a good job, we live beneath our means, so we did what we wanted to.

The last thing I want to worry about is running out of money. Getting older and poorer at the same time is not good.

We will go cruising in the next year or so, so I budgeted high and asked the wisdom of the group here.

Clearly, $10k per month is more than most people spend, so my question is being answered. We're neither stupid nor wasteful, so the useful info is that we can happily live on much less than $10k, so thanks!
Old 20-03-2010, 12:47   #29

FWIW, 8-10 years ago we spent about $24K per year cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean for 2 ½ years in a 34' monohull. Most of this money was for boat stuff and eating/drinking out. Much of it was 1st year frontend loaded for boat stuff that wasn’t really necessary - davits, new Bimini, tarp for foredeck, cover for dinghy, etc. We mostly anchored, but we spent 4 months in a marina in VZ. As others have said, your life style is the biggest expense determining factor. Fuel and food prices have gone up since then, but as long as you mostly anchor, $2K/mo. will allow you to live very well on a good condition boat in the Bahamas/Caribbean.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 13:28   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
... as long as you mostly anchor, $2K/mo. will allow you to live very well on a good condition boat in the Bahamas/Caribbean.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote