0-9% 7 18.92%
10-14% 8 21.62%
15- 19% 7 18.92%
20-24% 6 16.22%
25% or more 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2008, 00:26   #16

I read a thread somewhere.... Where buyers said they got their boats for 30 to 50% under the asking price. This thread has me rethinking things a little.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 02:07   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
I read a thread somewhere.... Where buyers said they got their boats for 30 to 50% under the asking price. This thread has me rethinking things a little.
Their are always bargains around, but also folk can exagerate the deal they got - few ever admit to overpaying.......

Took me 2/3 years to buy a boat once ......way over priced at £4,500 - I paid £3,300 (still a tad overpriced - but I wanted her!).....sold her a few years later within a couple of weeks (not years!!) for £3k (asking £3,100).....and I still have the Avon Dink and Tiller AutoPilot ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I stuck to my $8K offer but said the survey would be a make-or-break situation, not a point for further price negotiation. Seller accepted.
This was my approach as well to the current the boat which needed some TLC and work - but I factored this into the price agreed and the Survey was just a comfort / confirmation of my opinion - and minor problems were expected by me (a 35 yo boat), albeit I may not know exactly what they all were until the survey / getting her home!

IMO a big plus for me by not spending good money on a haulout and survey and then relying on the seller knocking off further cash from the price (and risking the deal collapsing and having to spend this cash again)and for the Seller (if they know their boat and feels the buyer is serious / knows enuf to judge) knowing that the buyer will not later be beating them with the survey.......of course not to say this is the only way to proceed - nothing wrong with beating someone with a survey, if needed!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 04:30   #18

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Several have tried asking these numbers in different ways.

No-go.
Is it against the rules or something? Infringing on broker advantage?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 05:48   #19

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I remember that the last real estate plunge in the US that there were a lot of boat auctions going on. You could typically look at the average selling price, and then offer 40% lower firm and walk away with a decent boat. For typical selling prices I'd also look at some resources for multi's like Catamaran, used or new, power or sail, and trimaran multihulls, for sale or charter by broker dealer - 2Hulls which lists the last listing prices of different boats they've sold in previous years. I can see how it's a weird thing right now looking at prices because a lot of the newer ones have been driven up by a huge devaluation of the dollar. A 2001 PDQ 42 in excellent condition lists for around 420k, meaning you can probably get it for 350k. A 2006 boat is listing for 750k. Same boat, negligible difference between them. Both don't need anything done to them whatsoever. So the 750k boat will drop and sell eventually for 400k. And you see soooo many threads with new boat owners happily plunking down twice the price for a new boat. I just don't understand people who can afford to loose 300-400k for a boat in two years.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 06:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I think it's just that most people don't want to post on a public forum things like how much they paid, how much money they make, etc.
If it were anonymous more people would probably share the info.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 19:07   #21

Boat: TBD
Great thread gentleman, as this novice is seriously looking to make the move. I can't believe the differences in prices I am seeing (internet). The last thing I want to do is pay too much for something that is going to lose value. At least with a house, you can always wait it out if you have to. I am also surprised that more boat owners are not marketing their boat themselves. My limited dealings with brokers has not been a positive one. I will be in Florida in July and hopefully I am able to hook up with someone reputable and trustworthy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The more I learn, the more time I am going to take in making any decisions. Just an FYI, I want to get a Cat in the 40 to 45 range and spend 200k to 225k and it will be cash.
S.I.T.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 19:17   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Please take my poll to help figure out what the average boat actually sells for, versus what it is listed for.
But you don't want to buy an average boat. You only want to buy one (unless you have other problems). It's the willing buyer vs. the willing seller. I got 5% on my first boat and 19% on the second. The second boat cost was a lot higher. If you save enough money you won't be able to afford the boat. I'm quitting now.

It's a market not a game. It's not like everyone always asks 20% more than they are willing to accept. The world does not work that way. It's up to you to compute what the value and worth of something is and determine an offer that sounds serious enough to get a seller to talk about it.

Friends just got a low ball offer on boat they own here in VA from someone in Maine. They saw the boat on the Internet and shot a low ball offer. So how easy is to to blow that offer off? It's real easy when the person never came to see the boat in person. If you want to negotiate then the first step is prove you are a serious buyer. Write an offer with a deposit and begin to act like someone that is serious.

There is no secrete way to list a boat so you can find a sucker to pay more than it is worth.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 19:49   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Paul is right. The value of something is what a buyer is willing to pay for it and not what the owner wants for it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 20:04   #24

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
To answer your question the best deal is the deal you negotiate! I will speak from experience, do your home work, research every aspect of the boat you want. Set your absolute max and what you would really like to spend and be willing to walk away if you do not get it. Understand what equipment the boat has and what equipment you would like on it. If you are trading in a current boat do the same, set a low point, wish I could get point and what you will accept not to exceed you low point. We traded our 30’ boat in on a new 41’ boat last year, the dealer paid off the balance and unexpectedly reduced our out of pocket down payment by 40% with the difference. Included delivery and rigging of the new boat, more than 500 mile away. Upgraded the electronics at the helm and included a color chartplotter at the nav-station along with a tridata repeater. The final price was 29.5% lower than the “average” selling price of the same less equipped boat. Did we get the best deal or beat the “average” selling price I don’t know, but I feel we made the best deal.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 04:25   #25

Boat: Valiant 50
Quoting Paul: "..its up to you to compute the value and worth..."

But how? I really wish it was that easy. In this "game", the buyer is always left comparing apples to oranges as rarely does one see two identical boats.

Now, here's my dilemma : I'm in the market for a live aboard cruising sailboat. Like everyone else, I duly trawl Yachtworld.com. Now, using the advanced search options, what should I set the upper price range to? 30% more than my budget?

I started out with a very tight set of "must haves" (aluminum, shallow draft, 40-45ft, <$350K). FYI - I've traveled to see them all. Now 6 months on, I've been told to wake up, smell the roses and relax my criteria. But for the survey, I nearly bought an Amel at 53ft LOA, 7 ft draft, and FG ... now, how relaxed is that?

Its finally sunk in that the cost of airlines, hotels, rentals etc soon grows out of proportion and its a losing proposition to look anywhere thats further than half a days drive.

Judging from this survey, nearly half the respondents achieved a discount of > 20%. Does this then not imply that sellers are tacking on a fudge factor of +/- 20%?
Old 26-04-2008, 05:31   #26

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Why didn't you buy the Amel?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 06:16   #27

Boat: Valiant 50
We still may. Its a nice boat, just one or two issues that popped up. Some things are best left confidential.
Old 26-04-2008, 06:32   #28

A lot depends on the buyer as well as the seller, As for me I knew what I wanted and watched all the boat trading mag's for the boats that have had the longest listing's, Checked with brokers on to how urgent they want to sell, I had it narrowed down to three boats and came in at 50% of there asking price, "cash " Told them they can have the cash within the hour if they accept I never expected them to accept that low but one did.
So I got one cheap boat and the survey came out clean I was more than happy.
Graham.
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 06:32   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Judging from this survey, nearly half the respondents achieved a discount of > 20%. Does this then not imply that sellers are tacking on a fudge factor of +/- 20%?
Some will, some won't. Some more, some less.........

IMO it is just a matter of putting in the work, no "magic" solution - and that fact that someone else got a 35% discount on a 33 foot Westerly in Belguim does not help a great deal......especially as you will never know if the boat was 50% overpriced to start with ......

45 foot + / - and 350k should have a bit of choice.......Aluminium shoal draft? sounds like an Ovni.....

This one at USD290K.....they seem to be a LOT pricier in Europe - maybe cos' in the US is an unknown brand? - or it needs some TLC (+?!!).

1997 Alubat Ovni 43 Boat For Sale

I'll take me commission in Beer
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 21:36   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I think it's just that most people don't want to post on a public forum things like how much they paid, how much money they make, etc.
If it were anonymous more people would probably share the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
The other factor is that the market is pretty small and most of the boats are old. Although some models remain highly desireable, the driving factor changes from boat model and year to condition at a certain point.

So if one member posts that he bought his boat fo $150k and the next member said you got ripped off becasue I bought mine for $100k it would be meaningless. Especially if member 2 had to install a new set of rigging, a new mast and a new keel.

I agree with most - Get an idea of what your desired boat is generally asking in the market, make a determination about condition and then make your "downpayment" because the price of the boat is just the begining - LOL

Also, when answering this poll it might be misleading to say. I have been watching this boat on Boatworld for a year. The price dropped from $150k to $100k I went and got it for $75k. I would say "your" discount was 25% not 50%. No-one considered the boat at it's original asking price. I reckon it's the starting price that "attracted" you and the price you paid.

Intersting but in hindsight, expected results. Discounts are all over the map. Could be further reinforcement of how the boat market works.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote