Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 18:37   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Any interest in writing some Books? (in collaberation?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
I apologize but I must disagree.

One word refutation.

Linux.
On that note, You could very literally use a CVS repository as your building ground. editing, version tracking, multiple authors, etc...

I think the most difficult part will be organizing authors and assigning chapters... it means somebody has to decide who the authority on that particular subject is. So, maybe some type of voting system? All interested parties submit work, consensus is taken, the "author" gets creative control, while the content is mediated by a democracy?

It could happen...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
You are very ambitious David; I think it would be a huge undertaking.
I disagree. You know those Pyramids in Egypt? Well, I'm building one of those . except bigger and to last longer ......I am still working on making it a profitable venture. But not as impossible as it might first seem...........ambition is a question of scale. Just like a Pyramid

Quote:
Even if you could get enough authors to write on a set of subjects with some kind of coherence, the editor's job would be daunting. There are a few books like this that work. e.g. a cruiser's magazine gathering together all the articles on safety, or on big water/storm tactics. But then all the articles were already paid for, and each had been edited to conform to the magazine's style already, so the coherence was already there.
The Editors job could be daunting - I intend (if I become Editor of one book) to be very relaxed Substance over style. and the lack of coherence can be part of the sell. Just because the paper based publishing industry has certain practices and "standards" doesn't mean I / we need to follow them - the main clue for me is that the paper based magazine is a dying industry......so a different approach not only has merit, but IMO is needed.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure, but I think all the postings, the content, on a forum belongs to the owner of that forum? Maybe you could use your own postings, but a best of CF, I think is off the table.
A) don't anyone tell 'em
B) f#ck 'em - if they can't take a joke they shouldn't be on the internet
C) I know enough to cover myself legally (and will know more). and also in practice .
D) A bit of copyright hooha is small beer in the great book of DOJ "events". and so far nothing keeps me awake at night.

But mainly..........

E) because I am after content from Members, written with a book in mind. Whether they have already or will submit the same information to CF (and where they got all that info from) will not be my direct concern.

In practice I think this project would complement the forum, if not later enhance it - to the advantage of CF $$$ wise............but that's all long down the road

Quote:
None the less, if you are willing to be that mean old editor who wrangles all the authors into the corral of style, the singular vision for the book, it might just work. I think there are some excellent writers on this forum, funny & engaging.

Any ideas for a theme? How not to do sailboat repairs, for instance, could be funny.
I agree, there are folks on here with something to say and sometimes even funny and engaging. some of them are even also excellent writers But as far as I am concerned the first is required. 2 & 3 would be nice - the 4th is a bonus - but raw style and character can more than make up for not being an excellent writer.

The advantage of not aiming for the mass market is that we don't have to polish to cover the lowest common denominator. If someone don't like the book, then - so what? I don't like every book I've read either

BTW, folks this thread may sleep for a while now and again (I iz busy elsewhere - but the Book Project will be in the back of my mind, part of my R&R) - anyone feel free to move the project forward at any time and anyhow. Just because my "idea" don't mean I feel any ownership or want to control.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:47   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
I chose Lulu to produce and publish my book, "and have been mostly quite pleased.

It hasn't made a lot of money - getting out the word of its existence is the hardest part - but it's sold enough to give me satisfaction. It could probably never have been published before Lulu and such tools were available - too much of a niche audience.
I used Lulu to publish my book "The Unexpected Circumnavigation Part 1" and have been unhappy with them. The print quality varies drastically. One print one will have beautiful books and others aren't so nice. Between me and my customers, we have had three problems with Lulu. Twice, I was shorted books. One of my customers wasn't home to sign for the package and it was returned to Lulu. Lulu has NO customer service at all. I emailed and called all kinds of extensions and never got a reply. Finally, I disputed my credit card charge and only then did they call me back to resolve the matter. My customer never did get through to anyone and I had to comp her a book.

My friend, Mary Umstot, used Booklocker and is pleased with them. I will probably use Booklocker for Part 2. I have also heard good things about Createspace. Blurb is focused more on coffee table art type books and were ungodly expensive for regular black and white reading books.

I agree that Print on demand is wonderful. No publishing house would ever publish my book, but it has sold well, so obviously there is a market. However, marketing is really, really tough. And, unless you are John Grisham or Stephen King, you don't make much money off books. It is a work of love.
ChristiGrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 18:27   #19

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quick vote for Createspace here... Easy process and instantly on Amazon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Cruisers Forum

Tags
books, DOJ, writing