Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 05:53   #1

Am I Dreaming ? Any Advice Please ...

So my girlfriend and I have a dream of sailing around the Bahamas and Caribbean for a while with our two dogs. We are both experience power boat operators but are novice sailors at best. We have recently fallen in love with the idea of the cruiser life style and plan on reaching this goal with in 2 years by taking sailing lessons this summer and then becoming weekend sailors until we feel we are up to par.
The questions I really have are on buying the boat. We are young, 26, and only have a budget of 10,000 max for the boat. We realize that this is a low price and do not expect to find a boat that we can hop on and be off on a trans Atlantic crossing. We would like a boat that is 36ft or more and in good enough sailing condition for day/weekend trips. As I said we are not planning on taking off right away, so we can do repairs and add more gear as we learn more about sailing and the boat and build up funds to pay with.
So there is the background info, here are my questions.
Do I need a blue water cruiser or a coastal cruiser and are those terms interchangeable?
Can I find one of these boats in day/weekend sailing trip ready condition?
Any brands, or types of sailboats that you think would be good for the Bahamas shallow water and east coast sailing? (I.E Newport RI to Florida keys as we improve our sailing skills before heading to the Bahamas)
Would you like to give me you awesome yacht? ( thought I would try)
Any knowledge that you have learned?

Thank you
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Am I dreaming? Any advice please...

If your budget is $10k max (does that include what you can spend for repairs and upgrades or just the purchase budget) it will be tight but you can possibly find a 33-36' cruiser for that. However, unless you are incredibly lucky it will definitely be an older, fixer upper. Then it gets down to how handy you are at fixing everything: plumbing, wiring, painting, engines, rigging, ad infinitum. Through in a really good ability to scrounge, trade, and bargain hunt seasoned with a tolerance for living with just the basic amenities and bare bones electronics and gadgets and you can probably do it.

You should factor in what your earnings would be if you spent time at work vs how much you save working on the boat. Sometimes it just makes sense to keep at the job a little longer and spend more money/less time on boat repair.

Bluewater is often overused and abused but generally meant to describe a boat that can cross oceans. But almost any boat can cross oceans if the captain is good so what does that really mean. If you plan to island hop the Caribbean then almost any boat can do that if handled properly. I met a guy years back that took a very light 26' trailer sailor all the way to the VI. Just took his time and kept a very close eye on the weather.

So doable, sure.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:35   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Welcome to CF Reefdog.

Maybe something like this might work. With a little negotiating you should be able to get it down to your budget.

1973 Bristol Centerboard Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:53   #4

Boat: Able 50

Boats in " sailing trip ready condition " for $10,000 don't exist. Take a clook at the Cal series which at least can match your price.

cal (Sail) Boats For Sale

Whatever you buy will need a lot of work.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 07:01   #5

Thanks Skipmac and Doodles! I should have said that 10,000 would be my budget with repairs currently but would invest more over time. We are planning on living simply and trying to do the maintenance our self but I know that is not always possible and that the word boat is actually an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand

Old 22-05-2011, 07:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Dreaming? Any Advice Please ...

Its only 30ft but... it sails and is in your price range... Its advertised on www.towndock.net

Posted by: Gary E Mintier from: Hampstead, NC Phone: 910-270-2866For Sale: Classic 1969 Morgan 30 $5,000
Classic Morgan 30 designed by Charles Morgan as a versatile cruiser/racer with interior laid out for family sailing. Has berths for 6 but sleeps 4 comfortably. Heavily ballasted (4500 lbs) for stability, the keel-centerboard reduces draft for shoal-water cruising.
Needs some interior work but sails fine and has a fairly new Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel engine onboard. This is a fine starter boat. She is being sold "As Is" but there are only some minor items that need attention, most only cosmetic. Sails are in fine shape and have covers to protect them from UV damage.

LOA 29'11';
Draft 3'6" Centerboard up; 7'2" Centerboard Down;
Beam 9'3';
Displacement - 10,400 lbs; Ballast 4,500 lbs;
Sail Area - 466 Sq. Ft.; Standard Main & Profurl Roller Furling
for 140% Genoa
Engine - Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel ; Fuel -14 gal diesel;
Solar Panel for main battery charging.
2 Twelve volt batteries
Tiller Steering

Galley - Gimbaled Alcohol two burner stove; Ice Box;
Hot and Cold Water; 40 Gal. Water tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mintier_morgan30.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	27673  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 07:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Dreaming? Any Advice Please ...

Here's another nice one just appeared on there....

This boat is ready to sail away. This age boat has a hull that is extremely thick and sea worthy. No work needed at a reasonable price. Extras abound. Make sure you don't miss this deal. Health problems in the family need to sell. Draft: 4 feet, Center board: 7' 7" Beam 10’ Ballast 4200 lbs Dry 10,900 lbs, 2002-2003 Yanmar diesel 30 hp; 20 gal diesel fuel tank.Replaced spars and shrouds and halyards 2008, re-chromed winches and all chrome pieces. New hatches with screens 2009, new faucets 2007, emergency tiller replaced 2009, redid all electrical both in boat new panel and shore power 2010. New cushions 2009, New instruments, including Lowrance HDS 5m in 2010, New batteries with recharger 2010, New automatic Bilge pump 2010, auto pilot, covers for winches, pedestal, New Lewmar hatches with screens 2008, dodger, Teak galore. So many extras can't list them all. $28,500
Give me a call at 252-288-5918 or email at cathyhadad@suddenlink.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hadad_pearson1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	27674   Click image for larger version

Name:	hadad_pearson2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	27675  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 07:16   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Am I Dreaming? Any Advice Please ...

Welcome aboard Cruisers Forum Reefdog and enjoy the site..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Thanks Skipmac and Doodles! I should have said that 10,000 would be my budget with repairs currently but would invest more over time. We are planning on living simply and trying to do the maintenance our self but I know that is not always possible and that the word boat is actually an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand
The key to buying a fixer upper and getting it in shape will totally depend on your DIY skills. So, how are you at fixing all the stuff that comes on a boat?
Old 22-05-2011, 08:40   #10

Thanks Savoir, Boatman, Unicorn. What price range should I be looking in for a 36 plus boat that’s not long distance sailing trip ready but day sailing ready, or is there no difference. I was hoping to find a boat that I could sail for a few hours at a time and then add the expensive gadgets and upgrades as I prepare over a 2 year period to head on a long distance trip. Maybe this is where my power boat experience is leading me astray.
Old 22-05-2011, 08:44   #11

Good point Skipmac,
I am good enough for my standards on cosmetics and minor repairs but I have always left engine work up to the professionals. I also don’t know much about the rigging which I imagine takes a beating and would need to be replaced on a older boat.

Old 22-05-2011, 08:51   #12

Check with the dock masters at your local marina. Often there are abandoned derelict boats they'll be happy to "give away". My dock neighbor is rebuilding a 37' Oday. After 5 months of part-time work the boat is starting to look pretty good with new electrical, plumbing, brightwork.... He probably has less than $10,000 into the boat.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:58   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome. of course you are dreaming, but then, you WILL find a really good deal these days as it is still a strong buyers market. i found my formosa right next door to my ericson in sd and i fund it for only 10k. was abandoned-- there ar emany such deals -- look hard and dont let any tone be unturned--kinda like kissing froggies.. goooo dluck and let us all know what ye find and make us jealous of your goood deal!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Savoir, Boatman, Unicorn. What price range should I be looking in for a 36 plus boat that’s not long distance sailing trip ready but day sailing ready, or is there no difference. I was hoping to find a boat that I could sail for a few hours at a time and then add the expensive gadgets and upgrades as I prepare over a 2 year period to head on a long distance trip. Maybe this is where my power boat experience is leading me astray.
I think the 36' length is just at a breaking point in buying used sailboats. Due to the bad economy, high cost to keep a boat and the large number of boats in this size range there are a lot of boats in the 25-30' range that have been abandoned by the owners can be found for free or just for the cost of the storage. Once you get too much over 30-32' range you start getting into boats that are valuable enough that owners don't usually walk away but are able to sell them.

Deals are still out there, you just have to look a little harder. I have seen killer deals on boats as large as 46' but for real project boats.

Get creative. Yachtworld.com is a good reference and place to learn what different boats may be worth but look at Craigslist, go to boat yards to look for repos, check local want ads.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
.. . What price range should I be looking in for a 36 plus boat . . . Maybe this is where my power boat experience is leading me astray.
Any sailboat with a keel will be about 10x as stable and seaworthy as the same length powerboat. So you will be more comfortable than you think, in a sailboat smaller than you think, if you are used to powerboats. On such a tough budget I would look at 30 footers if I were you. BUT, I would say that your plan is eminently doable, if you are willing to work your a*z off, have a good set of tools, and know how to use them.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote