Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 20:23   #31

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Re: Am I Dreaming ? Any Advice Please ...

I would also agree with the suggestion of a smaller boat. If you drop down to the 30' size you really open up a world of possible boats. Your going to get a boat in better condition, As a matter of fact you can probably get one you simply untie and go. Anything you replace or need to buy is going to be much cheaper then on a big boat. Also, it is simply easier to sail and handle. Your going to want big anchors, a big anchor on a 30 foot boat you can still manually handle, 36 foot boat? It will be a bitch. Same with sails. 36 is not to big, but believe me when you are out in open water trying to take down sails because the wind has suddenly come up, and it is just you, because your girl will be on the wheel. you will be thankful if you have a 30' As far as your "comfort" goes once again I would say less is more. Comfort to me is not worrying about stuff that breaks or whether your batttery is getting to low to run the reefer, or how much money you have to shell out when this stuff needs fixing or replacing....you won't need a shower, your going to the tropics, the water is warm and so is the air temp. Refrigerator? I never had it. There are all kinds of foods today that do not need refrigeration. Your boat will have an ice box, use that and learn to love warm beer. It is easier then you think. Good stove. Yes, a must. Good bed, yes. Good anchors, a bunch of them, must have. Boats there are a lot, almost any will do that trip if your careful. I am fond of old pearsons and tartans. When you find something post it up here and ask for comments. Also get this book Amazon.com: The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South (9780944428795): Bruce Van Sant: Books great resource for this exact trip. Lastly don't wait 2 years. Your girlfriend will be gone or pregnant and you'll hate sailing because you spent 2 years working on getting and fixing a bigger boat then you need. Go now. Seize the moment
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 22:15   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oh BTW, I have a friend who has a Cal 30 (late 60's), It's older but in pretty good condition. New dc Panel and wiring for example. I'm sure it needs a little work but not too much. She's asking 6k but will take less. She really needs to sell it in the next month or two. PM me if there is any interest and I'll give you her contact info. Located in the SF bay area. For a 10K boat budget it just might get you there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 22:35   #33
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Reefdog, you're going to get a lot of advice here for free. Keep in mind, it's worth what you pay for it. So here's my free contribution, fwiw, but keep in mind, I've done what you're talking about doing.
I own a 1975 Dufour 34 - a Class A boat, ocean capable. It was a donation boat, so I got it very cheaply - needed a diesel, which I bought secondhand for under $2000, learned to install it myself to save money. Needed paint - no, actually I wanted to paint it, it didn't HAVE to have it - did that myself, cost me about $1000. Otherwise, in fine shape - good sails, etc. Installed a chartplotter, some other goodies, nothing extravagant. I still have well under $15,000 invested.
Since buying it 8 years ago, I've been to Cuba twice, three times to the Bahamas, and twice to the Great Lakes. Over 30,000 miles.
Still going strong. It's possible to do this - but buy the right boat to do it with - a well built cruiser from the beginning, one that hasn't been properly cared for but is basically solid...lots of them out there.
...because when the brown stuff hits the revolving blades, you want to know that the boat is capable of keeping you safe. Everything else is secondary to that. Trust me on that!
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 22:38   #34
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Almost forgot - John Vigor's book, Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere - good resource. It's a good beginning for what you want to do. Pick up a copy, read it, then start looking.
You may not want the boats he lists, but it gives you an idea of what's possible.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:59   #35

Hi everyone,
Thank you for continuing to answer my question. After looking at a few 30 ft boats and larger boats that need more work we have decided that we are going to hold off on buying a sailboat untill we save up some more money. We instead got a 26ft fourwins 259 vista for free which only needs a little work. For now this will accomplish our main goal of being on the water.
Thanks again
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 10:28   #36

Re: Am I Dreaming? Any Advice Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i found my formosa right next door to my ericson in sd and i fund it for only 10k. was abandoned-- there ar emany such deals -- look hard and dont let any tone be unturned--kinda like kissing froggies..
Zeehag,

How in heaven's name did you latch onto a Formosa 41 for $10k?

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 10:47   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

right place and right time--as i watched her be blown up and i watched her be neglected and i could talk the previous owner out of hr for a reasonable price before she got too bad..... there is one in bad shape for 4900 dollars in sd on land---sd boaTMOVERS HAS IT-- NEEDS CABIN HOUSE WORK, RUDDER WORK, PROLLY SHAFT LOG AND STERNTUBE WORK, A LOT BUT IS ONLY 4900.....but i got lucky with this one....just have to keep eyes open and hands in pocket on wallet.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:22   #38

Thanks,

Will have to keep an eye out.

Nomad
Old 27-06-2011, 16:57   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

walka loto f docks and travel a lot and walk docks there too... gooo dluck. mine was on a mooring. anything is possible. i knw some in good shape for 30-60k-- in yahoo groups, leaky teAKY YACHT CLUB-- THERE ARE 3 I THInK FOR SALE.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 18:21   #40
cruiser

consider buying where you want to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
Thanks,

Will have to keep an eye out.

Nomad
-10k can buy alot of problems but i did happen to notice a sailboat around that pricepoint while searching yachtworld.com or boatdealers.ca?{.com}. Semm to recall it was www.yachtworld.com and the 31? was lying abacos with bahamas duty and usa taxes paid allready. IF bahamas is your destination then that is a good place to look to buy or close to it in south florida. With the canadaian dollar stronger than us dollar you should convert currency right away in case it {the exchange rate goes back to 15%}. C&C built 30-31ft and catalina 30ft can be found for prices much less than canada even though C&C are well made in canada. Going over 35ft at a 10k pricepoint will be a challenge and i would have the funds handy cause anything good at that price will get scooped up by a dealer looking to flip it for profit.As an example C&Cs lying in canada at 30k i have seen in usa at 15k difference was no salt water exposure ever and that can be a huge difference depending on level of maintenance since new.Some boats are so seldomly used in greatlake cities like chicago all sails are original and motors look like brand new after 30 yrs. Good luck on your hunt and let your fingers do the travelling on the net.I would convert that can to us dollar if not done last may16 are whatever when rate was highest in 15yrs are so i heard. Cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 18:33   #41
cruiser

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I would also agree with the suggestion of a smaller boat. If you drop down to the 30' size you really open up a world of possible boats. Your going to get a boat in better condition, As a matter of fact you can probably get one you simply untie and go. Anything you replace or need to buy is going to be much cheaper then on a big boat. Also, it is simply easier to sail and handle. Your going to want big anchors, a big anchor on a 30 foot boat you can still manually handle, 36 foot boat? It will be a bitch. Same with sails. 36 is not to big, but believe me when you are out in open water trying to take down sails because the wind has suddenly come up, and it is just you, because your girl will be on the wheel. you will be thankful if you have a 30' As far as your "comfort" goes once again I would say less is more. Comfort to me is not worrying about stuff that breaks or whether your batttery is getting to low to run the reefer, or how much money you have to shell out when this stuff needs fixing or replacing....you won't need a shower, your going to the tropics, the water is warm and so is the air temp. Refrigerator? I never had it. There are all kinds of foods today that do not need refrigeration. Your boat will have an ice box, use that and learn to love warm beer. It is easier then you think. Good stove. Yes, a must. Good bed, yes. Good anchors, a bunch of them, must have. Boats there are a lot, almost any will do that trip if your careful. I am fond of old pearsons and tartans. When you find something post it up here and ask for comments. Also get this book Amazon.com: The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South (9780944428795): Bruce Van Sant: Books great resource for this exact trip. Lastly don't wait 2 years. Your girlfriend will be gone or pregnant and you'll hate sailing because you spent 2 years working on getting and fixing a bigger boat then you need. Go now. Seize the moment
--Perhaps that 10k sailboat allready moored abacos was in nassau guardian newspaper add online . I go alover online and got several windows open at same time and it was months ago so i am not sure if was broker or for sale by owner but either way the boat add had a nice picture{seem to recall it was Dufour36} but i would swear any details on a stack of bibles.Alot of for sale by owner on www.boattrader.com and you just type in the area. Great advice is above..Go now dont wait ,seize the moment. Cheers
Old 28-06-2011, 07:12   #42

I didn't mean to imply by my post that I was looking for a 10K boat. I was just stunned that Zeehag had managed to latch onto such a fortuitous deal.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Nomad
Old 28-06-2011, 07:19   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Dreaming ? Any Advice Please ...

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply by my post that I was looking for a 10K boat. I was just stunned that Zeehag had managed to latch onto such a fortuitous deal.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Nomad
Just remember... fortuitous deals often involve a lotta work and the occasional need to 'Wing It'.....
Ask Zee.... it can be blood, sweat and a lotta tears... not for the faint hearted...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:44   #44

I remember. It was like that with out last boat, which at age 11/12 had descended into a state of neglect, even if I didn't get the 'deal of a lifetime' on it. There was a trade involved, which complicated matters somewhat.

Nomad
Old 28-06-2011, 08:58   #45
cruiser

Quote:
I remember. It was like that with out last boat, which at age 11/12 had descended into a state of neglect, even if I didn't get the 'deal of a lifetime' on it. There was a trade involved, which complicated matters somewhat.

Nomad
--Had you confused with original poster who was asking about boats at 10k pricepoint and their wish to start /go to bahamas from canada. I personally would not gain my 1st offshor experiance rounding the Gaspe or sailing through the high tides of the lower ST. Lawrence which cover and uncover what are called the Ghost islands. These are basically large rocks scattered throughout deep water of the st. lawrence and have sunk many ships as the rocks are submerged "just barely" and then "out of the water" at low tide.the bay of fundy tides are some of the highest on the planet. Also there really is no comparison of the north atlantic storms to the mostly tranquil and warm waters of the bahamas and carribean. Just the stress of entering some of those crowded and rock sheltered harbours at night seeking shelter would scare some newbies off "living on a boat forever". Allways best to learn from the other guys mistakes as God only knows how many i have made. Good luck with your boat hunt.