Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2021, 12:42   #31

Re: Agent in Malta to handle VAT

It says MAY
“In addition, Member States MAY make relief conditional upon
such property having borne, either in the country of origin or in
the country of departure, the customs and/or fiscal charges to
which it is normally liable.”

Views?
Mais78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 13:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mais78 View Post
It says MAY
“In addition, Member States MAY make relief conditional upon
such property having borne, either in the country of origin or in
the country of departure, the customs and/or fiscal charges to
which it is normally liable.”

Views?
That policy or practice is in terms of taxation called reciprocity.

In the USA, if one has already paid sales or use taxation on a good to one State, then the State to which one is registering the boat as its new principal place of use will credit any sale or use taxation associated with its entry into the new State by the amount paid in the prior state.

So if you paid duty and VAT in another country or origin or of departure, it appears to behoove you to show such to the officials of the country you are desiring to become a resident of as they MAY provide relief from their duty or VAT.

Big difference as to MAY and SHALL. One being discretionary and the other required.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 14:36   #33

Quote:
Yes I am aware of that but seems like the member states have implemented the EU regulation with some discretion and some don’t require proof of VAT payment, just ownership for more than 1 year I have been told.
True no need for proof of VAT having been paid in a foreign / non-EU country.

Relocation

Relocation from a non-EU to an EU country, including the boat as part of a person’s “household effects”, also constitutes a customs procedure. In this case, no import duties will be due – regardless of the country in which the boat was manufactured – but the person relocating must be able to prove at least 6 months’ ownership of the boat and must have lived outside the EU for at least 1 year.
As a document proving that the customs procedure has been completed, the customs office will issue a no-objection certificate in both cases.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Relocation

Relocation from a non-EU to an EU country, including the boat as part of a person’s “household effects”, also constitutes a customs procedure. In this case, no import duties will be due – regardless of the country in which the boat was manufactured – but the person relocating must be able to prove at least 6 months’ ownership of the boat and must have lived outside the EU for at least 1 year.
As a document proving that the customs procedure has been completed, the customs office will issue a no-objection certificate in both cases.
Yes, this is what I was told. So no 6 months of use in the country of origin, right? Just ownership
Old 22-02-2021, 03:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Relocation

The thing is that this paragraph is talking about import DUTIES, not VAT. Wonder whether for VAT exemption they still want to see proof of VAT payment elsewhere.
Old 22-02-2021, 07:05   #36

Thanks Guys, I have kind of taken my eye off the ball regarding legalities in the EU for the last year. I am married to a German and I am in the German system, but not sure of my status, I have no German passport . I shipped my wifes car to Germany a few years back, which was in my name. And there was no duty, tax event, VAT involved.
sidsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 01:36   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 45

Quote:
the member states have implemented the EU regulation with some discretion and some don’t require proof of VAT payment, just ownership for more than 1 year I have been told.
Make sure you have statements like this in writing from a solicitor so you can use it in case it's queried.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 01:41   #38

I doubt you can go to customs and claim “my lawyer told me so”, in the end they will ask what they want within the law.

Tags
Malta