Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 06:50   #16

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322
Re: Advice on used sailboat purchase price

Hi Rider,

I just did exactly what you described. I started looking at sailboats all over Florida in the $25K range. I found a search at Edward's Yacht Sales was helpful because could be filtered to show only Florida boats. I inquired about one boat through the broker listed and ended up making an offer through that broker on another when the price dropped. Last month I closed on a 1989 O'Day 322 and feel like I got a solid boat at a good price. There are about $3K in upgrades, etc. to be accomplished before I head out for a year of sailing the Caribbean but I expected that.

It's a buyers market. It CAN be done. There will be naysayers. Keep your eye on your goals.

If you are anywhere in southern Florida, I HIGHLY recommend Steve Purcell on Marco Island as a broker! (239-404-0444)

Good luck.

Terry
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:30   #17

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Have you considered a Canadian boat? With the exchange rate being what it is you might find a great deal.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:47   #18

I wouldn't fixate on price or even specific boats or age personally. From what I have just gone through in my search, it takes looking at boats, and having an idea what you are looking for.

I found mine on Craigslist, a 1979, that had been maintained by knowledgeable people, upgraded with upgrades I would have done (e.g. stainless steel ports), a Doyle stackpack main and 110% Genoa with a season's light use, plus unused 150% Genoa, Hood MP-S and Gennaker. Immaculate mostly, down below, in need of a clean and TLC to teak, and a Polish topsides.

$5000.

Be patient, the right boat will turn up, and you will know it when you see it.

Best of luck to you.

For perspective, a car is a hole in tarmac we pour money into, and a house is a hole in the landscape we pour money into as well. As long as you don't over buy relative to your budget, you should be fine.
Endeavour32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, purchase, sail, sailboat