Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 21:26   #1

Advice on buying in Marmaris Turkey: reccomendations for marine surveyor

Greetings all...

Well it's all happening quickly now. The house has been sold and We're ready to buy that dreamboat (40 foot catamaran) that we seem to have found in Marmaris Turkey.

I am still in Australia and haven't been able to look at the boat yet so I am asking 3 things.

1. Is there any major problems buying and transferring owners documents etc I need to be aware of.

2. Would there perhaps be someone on the ground in Marmaris that might be able to have a cursory look over it and say .. that looks ok or no don't worry about this one would be great.

3. Does anybody have recommendations for a great marine surveyor and lawyers they would recommend locally to help in the transaction.

If the boat looks good I will be there next month to have a good look but any early information would be just fabulous

Cheers Greg and Leanne
Artzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 22:08   #2

Re: Advice on buying in Marmaris Turkey: reccomendations for marine surveyor

Ohh I forgot point 4...

4. Has anyone had any dealings with Portofino Yachting Istanbul at all

PORTOFINO YACHTING

Cheers again Greg and Leanne
Old 06-12-2017, 23:11   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Where in Marmaris is it? Are you using a broker?
we are in Marmaris
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 00:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we are in Marmaris
Hey there chuckr

The company I am dealing with is called "Portofino Yachting Instanbul" ....

And the brokers name is Tevhit KURAL. The boat is an owners version lagoon 400. I'm not exactly sure just where it is lying but somewhere in Marmaris, i will be talking to the broker later today and will find out this and the boats name .

It would be great if you were able to cast an eye over it and ask about this guys reputation on the ground.

Much appreciated, i will pm the details above when i have them

Kindest regards

Greg and Leanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we are in Marmaris
Old 07-12-2017, 01:09   #5

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

You should take ownership in Greece if it is a EU VAT paid boat.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You should take ownership in Greece if it is a EU VAT paid boat.
Its not vat paid Anders
Old 07-12-2017, 08:54   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzoo View Post
Hey there chuckr

The company I am dealing with is called "Portofino Yachting Instanbul" ....

And the brokers name is Tevhit KURAL. The boat is an owners version lagoon 400. I'm not exactly sure just where it is lying but somewhere in Marmaris, i will be talking to the broker later today and will find out this and the boats name .

It would be great if you were able to cast an eye over it and ask about this guys reputation on the ground.

Much appreciated, i will pm the details above when i have them

Kindest regards

Greg and Leanne
I just hope he is not selling our boat while we are away😁
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50   #8

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

We bought our boat in Marmaris, and used a very capable, personable, thorough and honest licensed marine surveyer:

Haluk Soygur
Naval Architect and Accredited Marine Surveyor, SAMS-US, MIIMS-UK, IMCI-CE inspector

ems@ems-marinesurvey.com

East Med.MArine Survey offers a wide variety of marine survey and consltancy services for small craft such as vessel condition and evaluation surveys insurance surveys underwater surveys,osmosis evaluation and thickness measurement,damage surveys on

Ours was a monohull, but I suspect he is also knowledgable about catamarans.
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on buying in Marmaris Turkey: reccomendations for marine surveyor

PM one of our members who's based in Turkey.. Yeyola is his CF handle and he is a catamaran owner and pretty knowledgeable where local services and other things are concerned.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 14:43   #10

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I had the service of Haluk Soygur for a survey of my own boat and was very happy, I would recommend him anytime.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 14:56   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36'

Follow Boatman61's advice get in touch with Yeloya..
Also I would highly recommend Haluk as a surveyor, he has done a good job surveying our FP cat.
lodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 16:20   #12

I do know of a good surveyor in Turkey. The company name is Marine Solutions. The surveyors names are Capt. Naci Arici and Mr. Yusuf Civelekoglu. The have experience surveying Lagoons. I can probably find their telephone number if you like. In May of 2017, I looked at a 2012 Lagoon 400 named Defnoska(Turkish registered, formerly US registry as Maya)located in Karacasogut. I had them conduct a sea trial and surveyor. They were very thorough and took 2 days to complete. I witnessed the survey and they would point out issues and good things. The written report was also very thorough.

In the end, the boat needed about 30000 Euros worth of work to be seaworthy enough to cross the Atlantic, our goal. The owner would not negotiate so we did not purchase her.
The company was Portofino and the broker was Tevhit Kural. They were very helpful and Tevhit, Portofinos owner and Defnoskas owner were all present for the survey. Tevhit spoke good English, the Portofino owner did not speak English and Tevhit translated. They answered all my questions about documentation, etc however since I did not continue with the purchase, I do not know if the transaction would have gone well.

Marmaris is known for good quality workmanship with regard to repairs and other marine work. In live in the US but had I been able to witness the repairs, I might have purchased Defnoskas without price compensations.

If you have any other questions about my experience, I'll try to answer them.
diverdown516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 18:36   #13

AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) is a bit of a nightmare to deal with. unnecessarily bureaucratic and inefficient. They treat every registration as if it was a super tanker.
As an example of their inefficiencies they once couriered my registration papers to a boat in Sweden while I was in Italy and they still charged me a courier fee ($80.00).

It will take about four weeks to register during which time it is difficult to legally move the boat, although the Turkish officials were very understanding about it when I bought a Lagoon 380 in Marmaris.
It helps to get a full sale history with all the original bills of sale. The requirements are on the internet but don't believe you can do it all at an embassy as it says on their site or at least said . Everything has to be sent to Canberrra.

Marmaris is a bit dead before May. There are some good hotels which have some incredibly good out-of-season deals, including really good food. Hire your car at the airport, its about half the price compared to Marmaris.
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 21:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown516 View Post
I do know of a good surveyor in Turkey. The company name is Marine Solutions. The surveyors names are Capt. Naci Arici and Mr. Yusuf Civelekoglu. The have experience surveying Lagoons. I can probably find their telephone number if you like. In May of 2017, I looked at a 2012 Lagoon 400 named Defnoska(Turkish registered, formerly US registry as Maya)located in Karacasogut. I had them conduct a sea trial and surveyor. They were very thorough and took 2 days to complete. I witnessed the survey and they would point out issues and good things. The written report was also very thorough.

In the end, the boat needed about 30000 Euros worth of work to be seaworthy enough to cross the Atlantic, our goal. The owner would not negotiate so we did not purchase her.
The company was Portofino and the broker was Tevhit Kural. They were very helpful and Tevhit, Portofinos owner and Defnoskas owner were all present for the survey. Tevhit spoke good English, the Portofino owner did not speak English and Tevhit translated. They answered all my questions about documentation, etc however since I did not continue with the purchase, I do not know if the transaction would have gone well.

Marmaris is known for good quality workmanship with regard to repairs and other marine work. In live in the US but had I been able to witness the repairs, I might have purchased Defnoskas without price compensations.

If you have any other questions about my experience, I'll try to answer them.
Thank you for your response diverdown..

Some great information on your process and on portofino yachting and Tevhit.

Again thanks

Greg and Leanne
Old 07-12-2017, 21:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodos View Post
Follow Boatman61's advice get in touch with Yeloya..
Also I would highly recommend Haluk as a surveyor, he has done a good job surveying our FP cat.
Thanks

Greg and Leanne

Tags
buying, marine, men, survey, surveyor, Turkey