Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 16:50   #16

Re: Advice for a 27'-31' classic monohull for coastal cruising

Somewhere around $30k. Not a lot, I know, but that's what I have. I hadn't really considered the Nonsuch, thanks for the suggestion!
brokenotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 16:50   #17

Boat: Island Pscket 31

Try looking at an Island Packet 31. They may be old but a very solid boat and roomy.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:42   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenotbroken View Post
Somewhere around $30k. Not a lot, I know, but that's what I have. I hadn't really considered the Nonsuch, thanks for the suggestion!
Ah! Well I’d say you can get there from here. The Nonsuch may be out of range , and the IP too, but thee are fine boats to be had in that size and price range, especially if you don’t mind getting a little dirty and have some diy skills and/or ambitions. There is a thread here specifically about good boats for under $30k too. Look around your area and see what’s for sale, compare it to write-ups about the boats and pose questions here too and you’ll get a wealth of tips. Do not plan on spending the whole wad on the boat! I’d look for a good $15k boat (and they ARE out there) and save the rest.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:57   #19

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenotbroken View Post
OldManMirage, thanks for the heads up on the Cape Dory 28. I really want to like it and have heard it's an excellent sailing boat, but that galley... It's too good looking to take off the list though I'll have to climb aboard one and see if we can fit.

Give some thought to how much cooking you will really be doing. If you're just going out for a weekend (1 night ? 2 nights ?), think about what you might be eating. I have a grill on the stern I do a lot with. Any cooking in the cabin builds up heat which can take a while to dissipate. Are you cooking full meals ? Breakfast ? What's for lunch, just sandwiches ? You might find you don't need as much galley as you think. Also, when my wife comes sailing with me the last thing she wants is to feel like she has to be the same cook at sea as she is at home ! LOL

At your budget of 30K you can find Cape Dory 30's too, not sure if they will fit where you want to put it. Slightly more draft, slightly more mast clearance needed.

Here is an association for Cape Dory's, lots of info here - Welcome to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association's Home Page
Old 05-09-2018, 18:23   #20

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

We have a Pearson 30. Build solid, for 42 years old no structural issues. Good sleeping spaces, comfortable to hang out in the cabin or cockpit. Though we did a rather intensive renewing of all mechanical and electrical systems. Turn key ready our boat would be in your price range.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 18:58   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Here's some good looking boats on Yachtworld within your size & price parameters figuring a 80% to 90% list price/sale price ratio. All above average quality & located in Florida. The Hereshoff is a neat boat but I'm not sure this one is the best example I've seen. The price on the Nonsuch 30 is the best I've seen on one of those but the Southern Cross & the Morris are probably my favorites of this group.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ource=standard listing#.W5CGUeTrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ource=standard listing#.W5CGleTrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ource=standard listing#.W5CG7OTrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ource=enhanced listing#.W5CHS-TrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ource=standard listing#.W5CHtuTrvyQ
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...g#.W5CI_OhKjyQ
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 20:17   #22

Boat: Catalina 42 2001

I see the Catalina 30 did not make the list and i understand why but for the type of sailing you describe It might be worth considering. There are good reasons they made 1000s of them. Your not going to get more room in a 30 footer then that boat.
Enjoy your adventure
Old 05-09-2018, 20:25   #23

Boat: Vancouver 27

I like your criteria for the boat and think you've got the right sensibilities about what will work for you guys. A v berth for some privacy, standing headroom, and an enclosed head would top my list for what you propose.

My suggestion would be to not get too caught up in this or that model but instead watch for good instances of a few different types as they come available on the market. For the trips you propose (and beyond) the seaworthiness of the vessels you describe could well be classified as overkill. More important is just knowing your boat and being able to vouch for the systems onboard.

Our Vancouver 27 will continue to be our boat once we have kids. We're pretty minimalist esp by today's standards. If I was starting over tho, something like the baba 30 or even a nonsuch 30 would he pretty attractive. If given the choice between something small and quality vs larger and "more production" I would choose the former in a heartbeat tho. That said, for an extended cruise with a family of 4 in, say, the Bahamas, a few extra feet might be really nice.

"A few extra feet" is the lament I think of every sailor at some point regardless of what they have. But if your family is game, whatever you end up with will be great.

Best of luck.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:13   #24

Cape Dory -- I have a 27', so I am somewhat biased. Classic looks, sails nicely, easy to handle, room below might be an issue, but if you want looks and sailing (and a tiller!) you can't beat a Cape Dory. Good boat for your children to learn on as well -- very basic and understandable sail configuration (unless someone has altered it), very stable so no nerve-wracking heel. Just enough wood to work on and make it look nice without being a slave to it, solid, old-time hull. Most have dependable Yanmar Diesels as well that use very little fuel.
jfischgrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:35   #25

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Don’t spend your entire budget as all boats require money to be thrown at them. Personally I would save back $10k of that $30k. My current boat still consumes boat bucks even after 4 years of steady improvements with little increase in sale price. There is no finished boat.
Old 06-09-2018, 14:57   #26

The Ericson Independence 31 is a beauty if you can find one. Very traditional vs their other boats.
You dont need some of the heavy, teak laden boats you mention. In Florida the upkeep can be more time than the use! (Had my teak palace in Florida) Cape Dory doesnt have too much teak though nor the Pac Sea. But for your use any good boat will be nice. A Catalina 30 has more room than most , but you want more traditional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ericson_independence_31_photo.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	176914  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:43   #27

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Ericson Independence 31 is a beauty if you can find one. Very traditional vs their other boats.
You dont need some of the heavy, teak laden boats you mention. In Florida the upkeep can be more time than the use! (Had my teak palace in Florida) Cape Dory doesnt have too much teak though nor the Pac Sea. But for your use any good boat will be nice. A Catalina 30 has more room than most , but you want more traditional.
I love these boats. There's been one for sale up in the PNW that I've been trying to get my brother to look at. I agree, the Catalina is pretty much the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...678872168.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I love these boats. There's been one for sale up in the PNW that I've been trying to get my brother to look at. I agree, the Catalina is pretty much the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...678872168.html
Oh Gawd... DO NOT tempt me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 16:19   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's another boat located out in the boonies.

This one is on the Atom Voyages list as well.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...685202718.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 17:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

This is exactly why I posted here. An absolutely beautiful small cruiser that wasn't on my radar.

What a beauty:

brokenotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, cruising, hull, monohull, traditional