Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37   #31

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: A moral dilemma

Sounds like we need a poll.

1. Don't let another newbe on the water.
2. Sell, but with disclaimer.
3. Sell, but offer lessons.
4. Don't walk, run to the bank.

That about cover the replies so far?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't see this as moral dilemma. We all were beginners at one time and we all learned, and I'm sure we all experienced our share of hard knocks. Give him your best advice and sell the boat with a clean conscience. It is a lot safer for him to be driving that boat around the lake than to take his family on a driving vacation almost anywhere.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44   #33

Boat: 1980 Chris Craft Commander 45'

The above school and cautions are excellent recommendations, but everyone has a "first time" on the water in a boat of various abilities. Learning to swim is getting wet in first. I think it also should be stressed that it is not only his family that there is concern about but also all the others that are on the water that deserve curiosity, respect, and safety. Those he will be introduced to in a course how he uses the knowledge is up to him.
After the pointing out of the above I would sell him the boat.
Captain Allan
Capt Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:46   #34

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Offer him a course book and this link.>>> Boating License | Boat License | Boating Safety Test & Course | BOATsmart! Canada
Old 08-04-2012, 08:04   #35
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Bob Bitchin said it best
"Electricity comes from electrons"
"So ..Morality comes comes from morons?"

THIS IS HUMOR.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19   #36

Sell the dam boat. I haven't heard so much BS in one place, just to warm and fuzzy.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31   #37

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Sell the dam boat. I haven't heard so much BS in one place, just to warm and fuzzy.
What he said.

If you went to buy a 50,000.00 dollars sports car that only holds 2 people and you have a family of 6, do you want the salesmen to tell you not to buy it because in his opinion you need a family truckster???? off course not,,,there are more idiots on the freeway than the ocean,,,sell and you can suggest, No offense meant but it is not your position to tell this man what he can or can not buy or do,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:43   #38

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

The best approach, given Knottybouyz concerns, is to condition the sale on a sea trial accompanied by some hands on instruction to ease the seller's concerns and help the buyer determine that this is the right choice for both of them. A sea trial and some hands on directives from the seller can certainly clear up questions and worries on the part of both seller and buyer. When I bought my first sailboat, a 23 'Hunter sloop, the seller took me out on the Lake and we sailed together three times before he turned over the vessel to me. It was the best possible learning experience for new sailor with only a few sailing hours experience.....
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
The best approach, given Knottybouyz concerns, is to condition the sale on a sea trial accompanied by some hands on instruction to ease the seller's concerns and help the buyer determine that this is the right choice for both of them. A sea trial and some hands on directives from the seller can certainly clear up questions and worries on the part of both seller and buyer. When I bought my first sailboat, a 23 'Hunter sloop, the seller took me out on the Lake and we sailed together three times before he turned over the vessel to me. It was the best possible learning experience for new sailor with only a few sailing hours experience.....
Why...he wants to sell the boat.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:51   #40

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Let's put it this way, if you don't sell him the boat he will be able to go out and purchase anything at any dealer and they will gladly accept his money, and probably send him on his way, often without the benefit of any advice whatsover. Observing a guy at a fuel dock in Florida gave me the instant impression he didn't know anything about boats, so I hung around to make sure he could safely exit the marina at least. I was not surprised when he shoved off from the dock without the engine even running, and then was unable to start the huge outboard. I was able to throw him a line and then could pull him back into the dock where a couple of us proceeded to tell him how to handle the fuel line valves and start the engine. He had just purchased the powerful speedboat brand new and the dealer had started it for him and shoved him off to "go out for a spin."
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58   #41

We sold our old C22 in 1987 to a couple who was new to sailing. We took them out and explained everything, including how to anchor. We were "newbies" at one time ourselves, although we had been sailing before we bought the boat. I heard from friends sometime later that they had gone out one day and thoroughly messed up. It happens. I don't have, or wanto to have control over anyone else's lives. Sell the boat to them and explain everything you can or want to them. Then it's their boat and they can do whatever they want with it. Ever sell your old car to someone?
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58   #42
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

I try not to judge people. But...... this fellow really came across as having absolutely no idea what he's getting himself into. I mentioned the lower end of the engine had been rebuilt some years ago. He didn't know what that was.

Now I don't know if he'll be able to grasp all the concepts required to be come a prudent boat operator, I hope he does but there's a tingling element of doubt in my mind or I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

There's plenty of good advice here and I've taken it all into consideration this morning while thinking about it.

The boat would be going too far away for me to give him any hands on instruction.

I'll recommend he take a CPS course and get his operator card. I'm sure his insurance company will require that as a minimum.

I'll provide all the operators manuals that I could find for the equipment and I'll spend a few hours writing out all the directions on how to operate the boat. We've done a lot to this boat to make it reliable so I have no doubt that it'll function as well as possible for a 25 yr old boat. I would have no qualms about operating it myself this year if I weren't already building a new one.

When it comes time for him to change the oil and service the outdrive he'll have to learn those lessons the way I did, the hard way or pay someone else to do it.

All I can do is wish him well.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Sounds like we need a poll.

1. Don't let another newbe on the water.
2. Sell, but with disclaimer.
3. Sell, but offer lessons.
4. Don't walk, run to the bank.

That about cover the replies so far?

I vote for # 3.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:30   #44

Boat: Currently boatless

To put it bluntly, if you condition the sale on buyer's qualifications, you are accepting the responsibility for making sure that the buyer is really qualified. Do you really want to do this? Personally, I would not.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:31   #45

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with senormechanico... offer to give the guy an intro to the boat saying every boat is a little different and has its own idiosyncrasies and you would be happy to point these out to him after the sale is completed and his check has cleared or you have cash in hand.
You can't babysit him and make his decisions for him or his family. Ask him to invite his family along for the shakedown cruise. Many times a partner isn't aware of their partners shortcomings when it comes to activities they are both new to. If she develops a concern for herself or the rest of the family, put them in touch with Power Sqadron or similar organization and suggest they both attend.
Gord May is correct in that there is a licensing requirement in Canada which at least gives the new boater an awareness of what he doesn't know. Don't know whether possession of the license is a condition of sale in that country or not.
This is a good topic for discussion... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote