Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 16:42   #46

Re: 8 years of cost data

Very useful information OP, thanks for posting.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 11:34   #47

Thank you so much for sharing! I understand there are many variables, lifestyles and boat to only name a couple. It really does give me a good perspective and I greatly appreciate it!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 12:25   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I think he was talking about all those folks who say they can be full time cruisers on 1500 a month and never ever have a long term cost breakdown like he and I are providing
What? Cruising cost money? I thought I could just live off the sea and collect water using trash bags and condensate. Your saying that's not true, that I have to budget?

Seriously, thank you for the break down. It's interesting to see what people are spending money on while they cruise. Health coverage is something I think is probably slightly over looked, at least it is for myself. He makes a great point, there is a lot of work you can do on your own and save labor cost at least. Just be careful what your limitations are, hook up your gear wrong and it may just cause more damage than there was. Hopefully you don't pay someone else to hook your gear up wrong, guess that is the battle.
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59   #49

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I am no Dr., but I have been told the difference between ophthalmic antibiotic drops and regular ones is the level of purity or sterility, meaning the eye drops can be used for ears, but you shouldn't go the other way around.

Some, if not all, ear drops contain alcohol as a drying agent. Eye drops do not. Hence it's ok to use eye drops in the ear but not ear drops in the eye.
Old 05-03-2017, 13:47   #50

And for the obsessive/compulsive, here is the file redone a little differently.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: xls SV Soulmates - 8 yr report-2.xls (79.5 KB, 225 views)
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 23:39   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
And for the obsessive/compulsive, here is the file redone a little differently.

Enjoy!
WOW -- thanks - now you know why I was a manager and had bright folks who know these things did the work - I designed and they did - kinda like telling a da Vinci to paint a pic of a woman and you get the mona lisa --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:19   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
WOW -- thanks - now you know why I was a manager and had bright folks who know these things did the work - I designed and they did - kinda like telling a da Vinci to paint a pic of a woman and you get the mona lisa --
After opening and running 28 businesses and several properties, I've learned my way around Excel!

The first year is off somewhere. Haven't spent any time trying to figure out where but it's adding up to 105%.

Also, you have a line item for Dinghy but no expenses related to that. Did you have the same dink the whole time with the same motor? or is that included in another expense line?

Thanks for sharing this. Together with what SV Bebe shared, it gives a pretty solid and realistic look at the costs.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:43   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A few years ago someone posted an article written that used three boats and Families as examples with a proposed budget of the three, It started out with the lowest being I think a young couple that were driven to be cost conscious, with a minimal equipped boat and were driven to save money when and if they could.
The other end was an older couple with a fully equipped larger more luxurious boat and while they didn't waste money, they were less driven to save money and more driven to enjoy cruising and the budget was of course higher. Although I have never met them, it's my estimation that this describe SV BeBe and explains their costs.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:31   #54

Quote:
A few years ago someone posted an article written that used three boats and Families as examples with a proposed budget of the three, It started out with the lowest being I think a young couple that were driven to be cost conscious, with a minimal equipped boat and were driven to save money when and if they could.
The other end was an older couple with a fully equipped larger more luxurious boat and while they didn't waste money, they were less driven to save money and more driven to enjoy cruising and the budget was of course higher. Although I have never met them, it's my estimation that this describe SV BeBe and explains their costs.
I try to set up a business case for a charter managed boat. I only have 5weeks tops a year for sailing, which is in perfect match of the usual 6+weeks owners time. As I see from the excel sheet, the highest boat-related cost components are mooring, insurance and repairs - all three are payed by the charter manager.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:00   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I try to set up a business case for a charter managed boat. I only have 5weeks tops a year for sailing, which is in perfect match of the usual 6+weeks owners time. As I see from the excel sheet, the highest boat-related cost components are mooring, insurance and repairs - all three are payed by the charter manager.

Usually these cost analysis are for full time, long term cruising, not a charter
Old 06-03-2017, 14:55   #56

Quote:
Usually these cost analysis are for full time, long term cruising, not a charter
Right, but certain elements are very informative: you have to pay insurance even if your boat rots in the marina 10 months a year and of course you have to pay for a safe berth too. As a novice, I had no idea how much e.g. the insurance costs could be.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 15:13   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Right, but certain elements are very informative: you have to pay insurance even if your boat rots in the marina 10 months a year and of course you have to pay for a safe berth too. As a novice, I had no idea how much e.g. the insurance costs could be.
I believe that a full time cruiser, assuming they are travelling to other countries, will have a higher insurance rate than someone who is limited to 75 miles off shore and who stays in one geographical area. However I am no insurance agent so you need to ask one.
The 75 miles come from that is what my current insurance limit is, as I am not a full time cruiser yet, but I expect a bigger insurance bill when I become one in a few months
Old 06-03-2017, 15:45   #58

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. Can you tell us about you boat, how big, old, and is it a Power or Sail boat. Sorry if you posted it but I did not see it.

Thanks again.
ewcorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 16:28   #59

Quote:
Never read the article so can't say. If you read through BeBe's blog, you'll see that while they didn't scrimp on repairs (Bill was VERY proactive in his approach which I admire), they were a little more pragmatic in their living costs.

I would say that SV Soulmates costs are in the middle ground. I think you "MIGHT" be able to go a bit cheaper, but at significant sacrifices in safety, comfort and/or range. Again, this is for Worldwide travel. I think many live on much less by staying in certain regions and are actually coastal cruisers.

As someone said earlier, I have not seen any of the folks that say that they can live on $1,000 a month (for worldwide travel) ever share their actual tracked expenses. I can't see that happening any way and cover ALL costs. I could however see it get in the $2,500-$3,000 range if medical and travel/entertainment expenses were kept down - and it was a good boat to begin with.
Old 06-03-2017, 16:35   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree, for anything sustainable and an average 40' cruising boat. I think depending on location that 3K is cutting it pretty thin, doable but your watching costs pretty close.
Now I get this only from gleaning any info that I could over the past three years or so, not actual experience.
I have myself in my planning budgeted based on SV BeBe's cost as I assume I want to be able to live their lifestyle, which I assume is not lavish, but not stingy either.

Better to have a little more than you need than to not have enough, the catch is of course deciding when you have enough, you can be too cautious and work too long and never go of course.