Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 13:47   #76

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: 60 Feet on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Made the trip out to GYB today and sailing associates across the river. And the winner is Sailing Associates. Sorry Bill, The slip they had me in at GYB would have been right behind the mooring field and the dock was a little shakey/narrow. Very close to the bath house however. Got across the river and it was a much homier feeling place and the dock is great. Super wide and they have huge pilings behind the slip to tie up on. Not as convienient for a haul out but I hope to not have to haul it often. The water there on the Sassafras is low salt so no critter build up. The slip is easy in and out with 15 ft of water, so deposit is paid, we have a vacation home (location) for the next 12 months. Now to just actually get the boat!
F'in beautiful!! So we are officially neighbors! Look forward to meeting you!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:37   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Made the trip out to GYB today and sailing associates across the river. And the winner is Sailing Associates. Sorry Bill, The slip they had me in at GYB would have been right behind the mooring field and the dock was a little shakey/narrow. Very close to the bath house however. Got across the river and it was a much homier feeling place and the dock is great. Super wide and they have huge pilings behind the slip to tie up on. Not as convienient for a haul out but I hope to not have to haul it often. The water there on the Sassafras is low salt so no critter build up. The slip is easy in and out with 15 ft of water, so deposit is paid, we have a vacation home (location) for the next 12 months. Now to just actually get the boat!
Welcome to Sailing Associates, I am on the west dock.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 21:45   #78

Well, I hope all is well. No sign of DSDman yet.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:35   #79

Well ladies and gentlemen I have bought a sailboat! we are currently of the jersey shore headed for the De bay! left bright and early Saturday morning, went through long island sound then through NYC last night. Hit hells gate doing 11 knots and have been just off shore all night. one side of stack pack failed, we had to drop the sail.. so motoring at 7 knots. waiting for enough wind to try the mizzen and head sail. rough night last night! motor seems to be doing ok. lots of other small issues but sea motion is great and speed is ok! glad to have 60 feet and a full enclosure. 85 dolar foul weather set is awesome! more later.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:03   #80

made it home, pulled in at 430 this morning. no huge issues, generator battery was dead, managed to charge it with the house batteries once we got the gen working charged up ok. brand new fuel filter was leaking, gasket installed wrong, fixed that. metal water line was ruptured, temp fixed that with piece of rubber and pipe clamp. half of stack pack failed due to rotten lines, must get new lines. various things worth others don't....it cruises at 7 knots with about 12 knots quatering wind. nice ride.altogether of think of did ok
Old 02-04-2012, 18:35   #81

Greenport NY to Sassafras in 43 hours, why am I sore all over? Feel like some one beat me with a stick!
Old 02-04-2012, 19:17   #82

Congrats... DSDman

Old 03-04-2012, 04:05   #83

Thanks, after 4 years of looking negotiating with the family and enduring a realestate crash and a complete job relocation/move I can't believe its finally happened. Now can someone teach me and the crew how to actually sail this thing?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:25   #84

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Unless you got a very unusual boat that is in "ready to go" condition, I think you will be spending a lot of time cleaning and re-working systems and the sail systems on the boat before you can get to "really" sail the thing. That doesn't mean you cannot go motor sailing or "pretend sailing" with sails up and the motor off until you get things back to "ready to go" status.

That said, sailing a big boat is like driving a bus compared to a sports car - procedures are the same but things happen a lot slower and take a lot more time. Otherwise most all the procedures are not different from small boat or medium size boat sailing.

What will take some of the time is investigating and working with the much larger sails and control lines to learn what and how they do what they do and how much time it takes to do it safely.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55   #85

Boat: Island Packet 35
Congrats...I'll bet that you learned alot more than you think during the delivery. Now the real fun of owning a boat starts...maintenance.

Are you going to liveaboard? Can't remember?
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:02   #86

my plan for the near future is to just use the boat on weekends and fix it up. Maybe in the next few years as the kids move on to college we may move on board. If the job takes me to another coastal city we may try living on board. but I am happy to work on it for now and prep it for the long term. it has many systems that need attention. I'm reading up
on hydraulic thrusters at the moment it has one installed but no pump and no controls, I found the lines but they are rotten. so if anyone knows anything about them I'm all ears. it looks like there is a mounting platform in front of the engine for one and there is an extra pully on the crank but that is it.
Old 03-04-2012, 16:05   #87

view from the boat of NYC as we passed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120403_190455.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	39471
Old 03-04-2012, 16:09   #88

little wing and wing downwind through ny sound. Got 7 knots for a bit until the wind died off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120403_190741.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	39472