Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 18:10   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman
I will I promise. So if those were the boats you guys would go for the more expensive. Interesting, Thanks for the feedback!
It's just that expenses add up quickly, so if a more expensive boat has better sails, new engine, and newer rigging that can make up a huge portion of the difference.
It often seems that with well found boats you get what you pay for. There are great deals out there, but boats that are desirable models and well kept do sell, often more expensive than comparable models.
I bought a cosmetic fixer upper, but with sound systems and a new Yanmar installed. That was the perfect choice as most of the refit was cosmetic and labor intensive ("free" since it is my labor).
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 18:49   #32

Re: 60 Feet on the Chesapeake

It depends a lot on you too. My last boat was 'decent' it was 57 grand.

But then when I got it, there were things I didn't like. They worked fine, but they bugged me so I changed them. New traveler, refinish the davits, new helm, LED tricolor etc. I think I put like 15 into it, and then sold it for about 60.

At the end of the day, I was farther away from casting off than when I started. I realized that I had paid a premium for a clean, functional boat, and then paid a premium on top for 'better' stuff, and then paid a little bit on top of that because the new stuff wasn't really worth anything more than the old stuff to someone else.

So knowing me, that I like to tinker and I like to have things 'just so' I decided that my next boat would be a nice, but nearly empty hull.

So this boat was $6k, will end up being 40-50 when I'm done and exactly how I want it to be. Do you like working on boats? Are you easily distracted by shiney objects like I am????
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:05   #33

xmotic, yes to all your questions. that is sort of my line of thinking. I know I will eventually replace anything that does not work very well and some stuff just because its old. I am a tinkerer and rebuiler and shade tree mechanic and plumber, electrician, carpenter....all those things. I spent 18 hours working on my daughters bmw this weekend, just because. installed 1000 in parts, and probably saved twice that in labor. plus I listened to the games and drank beer so it was a very relaxing weekend for me.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:32   #34

I don't have any advice on which boat, but look at the depths around Gregg Neck, you'll be doing a lot of motoring to get where you can sail. And 60 feet is too big for the Bay. Heck, our 42 footer is too big for the Bay. Since you are going to be land based for a decade, get something that is fun to sail on the Bay. Personally, I wouldn't want a 60 footer, bigger is not always better in sailboats.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:32   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

DSDman - With that added information, I would suggest the older boat that was less expensive and use the difference in cost to modify the boat to your own ideas and standards. That is providing that the hull of each is equally sound. Hull repairs are not fun and just plain hard work and grief. Everything else is a lot more interesting and fun and it makes little sense to pay for a feature that you are going to change anyway.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:58   #36

believe me I have long suffered the decision to get a bigger boat. the cost of it being the biggest factor. however I'm looking at the boat as more of a gathering place, classroom for the family. I have a 13 yr old, 15 and 17 yr olds. All of which need some serious outside time, and team work skills. so it will be a team building workshop and cool place to hang with mom and dad as they get older...I hope.
Old 24-01-2012, 10:00   #37

Oh, DSDman, I hope your teenagers are nicer and more malleable than mine were.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:51   #38

NOT to be a smart ass, but isn't the number for the COST of boat ownership about the same as the number representing the length of a piece of string??

It's a wide open range from cheap to holy moly expensive. Your 60 footer should tend toward the holy moly end of things....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:49   #39

looking at Gregg neck I agree it is up there. I plan on using it initially as a place to get some stuff done, not so much on the sailing side. then once she is a bit more ship shape move it closer to big water maybe down in Cambridge. Gregg neck is much closer to the house so day trips out in the afternoon to fix things won't be bad. I wish the channel to bowers beach were deeper I would try and keep out there on the delaware side while working on it but I dont think I could get it in there.
Old 26-01-2012, 20:03   #40

Hannah, nothing nice about them two oldest ones..they are teenage Girls!
Old 07-02-2012, 16:19   #41

offer submitted....
Old 08-02-2012, 19:04   #42

Thumbs down Re: 60 Feet on the Chesapeake

rejected
Old 08-02-2012, 20:17   #43

Boat: Beneteau 393
The right one will come along...!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 22:19   #44

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
rejected

Bummer!!

I bought a our boat for my family as well. Wife, 2 daughters(3 and 1), and a 17yr old boy we never see anymore. We are going cruising but are locked here til the oldest graduates.
We are up in Smyrna and the boat is over in Georgetown, MD. You or the rest of the clan want to do a day sail just holler!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 23:05   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If you want my opinion, any 60 foot sailboat you can buy for 80K will be a money pit.
Let's be real. Any 60 foot sailboat will be a money pit. A 60 foot sailboat you can buy for 80k will be a freakin' disaster.