Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 16:37   #31

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: 40k budget for the escape!

If you have the opportunity, it certainly would help to learn to sail a little one design boat, even a Sunfish or better, a Bluejay, Lightning or something with a jib. A class in one of these would really be worthwhile and would quickly teach you most of what you need to know about making a sailboat go, and what NOT to do. Would be fun as well. I would venture that most of the sailors in these forums probably started on boats such as these.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 17:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti81
LOL the fiancé is in Ecuador waiting for me.... once i sell my house and truck all thats left is the move south. And sailing sounds a bit more exciting than a plane ride
Awesome! Go for it! And start learning Español soon. Mucha suerte.
sharondenisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 18:00   #33

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

You should pick her up and visit the Galapagos! I recently cruised through some of the islands. Very interesting stuff.
Spencer
Old 24-03-2011, 19:08   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 40k budget for the escape!

Here you go mate... a nice little number and well set up with all the essentials apart from a H/held GPS and a dinghy... don't get talked into something bigger than you need for what you want to do...
Triton Yachts (Oriental, NC)&
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 19:47   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Or if thats to small.... you could up the ante and go for this sweet little live aboard...
No affiliation to the owner and other disclaimers...

Very cozy Corten steel Dutch built boat in very good condition. One double berth, 2 pilot berth, and side benches. Pilot house with inside steering, lots of head room inside. Full galley/dining area. Wood stove. New head. Ready to go anywhere. Comes with lots of new sails, monitor self steering. 11.5 ft beam, 5.5 ft draft. Engine is 33 HP Mitsubushi, 80gal water and fuel capacity. Asking 30,000. We'll be happy to take you for a test sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotop1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	25465   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotop2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	25466  

boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 20:15   #36

I would go to Thailand - and have fun
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 21:33   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Let's see the fiance is in Ecuador - you didn't say which coast you are on or what country. But if it is the east coast/Caribbean then you have a big problem and that is getting the boat from the Atlantic/Caribbean to the Pacific.
- - Assuming the Atlantic, the route is long in both distance and time required. You are talking almost a year or longer to get there since you have to consider the seasons and prevailing winds/waves.
- - It might be better to buy a small sailboat and trailer and drive it to Ecuador . . . get there a lot faster or at least before the finance goes off and marries somebody else.
Alas, despite the existance of the Panamerican Hiway, there is a 100mi ish stretch in Panama that is incomplete, and will remain so for the indefinite future. Most groups involved are happy that it remain unfinished as it cuts off the flow of drugs via that route, prevents deforestation and keeps the violence in Columbia from spilling across the border. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap.

The OP will need to ship the boat at least part way.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 07:25   #38

Boat: O'Day 28

No, not crazy at all. It's a cool thing to do and you can afford it I guess. I doubt you can do it in 6 months though. That's the only challenge to it. The same voyage is made hundreds of times a year, and all too often by inexperienced boaters. That really is the hard way to learn however and little point to it.

I'd be very careful of advice telling you to ignore the advice on this forum. There are real sailors here. Why reinvent the wheel?

If this were my situation, and I really wish it were, I'd get up with the gal asap, buy a locally built daysailor for next-to-nothing and see how the gal takes to it before tossing a big chunk of $ at something that you may well lose entirely, or lose money on if she's not a voyager. Most are not. A "fiance" suggests you've done some long term planning while this challenge idea suggest you have not, to me at least.

Best of luck.
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 08:10   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
No, not crazy at all. It's a cool thing to do and you can afford it I guess. I doubt you can do it in 6 months though. That's the only challenge to it. The same voyage is made hundreds of times a year, and all too often by inexperienced boaters. That really is the hard way to learn however and little point to it.

I'd be very careful of advice telling you to ignore the advice on this forum. There are real sailors here. Why reinvent the wheel?

If this were my situation, and I really wish it were, I'd get up with the gal asap, buy a locally built daysailor for next-to-nothing and see how the gal takes to it before tossing a big chunk of $ at something that you may well lose entirely, or lose money on if she's not a voyager. Most are not. A "fiance" suggests you've done some long term planning while this challenge idea suggest you have not, to me at least.

Best of luck.
+1

If the other half is not on board then there will be problems. Go slow and work her up to it. Sound like you need to go slow and work yourself up to it too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:12   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here you go mate... a nice little number and well set up with all the essentials apart from a H/held GPS and a dinghy... don't get talked into something bigger than you need for what you want to do...
Triton Yachts (Oriental, NC)&
This is all you need.
Old 26-03-2011, 08:17   #41

thank you for all the great advice! Tartan Pearson and Catalans are all over the place and all under 10k. I know they aren't the best, but still good boats right?

this one caught my eye. good deal or too small?

1979 Pearson 30 sailboat for sale in Virginia
matti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:05   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti81 View Post
thank you for all the great advice! Tartan Pearson and Catalans are all over the place and all under 10k. I know they aren't the best, but still good boats right?

this one caught my eye. good deal or too small?

1979 Pearson 30 sailboat for sale in Virginia
It's nothing special ... not much in the way of cruising gear and an Atomic 4 GAS engine (run away)! The Albin Vega in Oriental is a much better boat for what you are looking to do. Really, you should check it out.
Old 27-03-2011, 07:34   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

It may be difficult to find a good boat at 10k. I think only possible in fact if you have plenty of time and skills to make her a safe sailing boat. But if you add up all the time and cost of making her a good boat then she will no longer be a 10k boat ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 12:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon
The classes are probably not a bad idea. I know lots of people here are dissing them, but they do help jumpstart the knowledge aquisition process.

If you can find a week long class that does ASA 101, 102, and 104, you will be in much better shape with a lot more confidence to head off to sea.

Hello! We found a weekend class that covers ASA 101. Would you think is a good idea to enroll? They are quite expensive, at $400.
sharondenisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 12:43   #45

Experience is worth a lot and so is good training. Put them both together for a great combination. One without the other is going to leave you with some problems. Training in particular helps so that things you don't have experience with (like different weather patterns that aren't in your particular local area) can be readily dealt with and you'll have a plan in place rather than have to improvise and figure it out as you go.

You'll need to figure out and make due even with all the training in the world, but if you can chop down the list of things you'll need to figure out to a minimum you'll probably be a lot happier.

You won't be good at backing a single engine boat until you have experience, but boy oh boy would it be helpful for someone to explain prop walk to you first, etc.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget