Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 03:28   #31

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: 3 options small Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Engines pn boats are generally truck engines marinised so by your filters etc from truck dealers not marine stores.. for example my John Deere was a tractor engine so I got all my stuff from the local tractor dealer..
Stay clear of marine shops..
My Westerbeke 27 HP 3 Cylinder Diesel is a Mitsubishi motor, Marinised,
I bought my complete Diesel filter assemblys from China, Online, $24-00,
Just the filters only were $24-00, Racor,

Come into my Marine store, Leave your Visa card on the counter, Hahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:31   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 3 options small Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not many truck engines in sub 40' sailing cats. It's rare to see above 50hp in small cats. Or maybe just really tiny trucks?

But yes, if you can find the non-marine version of parts, you can save some money.

Still a heck of a lot cheaper in this size range to go outboard powered.
Volvo dealers will source stuff for you and for less than the marine stores.. and true the engines are smaller.. Catalcs often 2 Beta 10's, the Prout Elite last year had a couple of Yanmars..
Oh.. and here in Europe we have small trucks.. 3 tonners and under.. You guys likely call them wheelbarrows..
But to be honest I would rather the 2 inboards than 1 outboard if doing serious cruising as opposed to w/end pottering.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38   #33

Quote:
Oh.. and here in Europe we have small trucks.. 3 tonners and under.. You guys likely call them wheelbarrows..
But to be honest I would rather the 2 inboards than 1 outboard if doing serious cruising as opposed to w/end pottering.
Even the compact pickups start north of 150hp.

Have you had experience with the newer 4 stroke EFI. We put 7-8,000 pretty much trouble free miles on one...not sure if that qualifies as serious.

Only significant advantage, I can see in this size range is they can make hot water if you plumb them right....but we try to limit cold weather cruising, so not really big advantage for us.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:26   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I find the advantages of 2 inboard engines invaluable for many reasons. twice the distance for half the engine hours.. in heavy weather which can spring up unannounced over here steering by engines can be critical to survival as the relatively small rudders become ineffective.
But.. each to their own.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:35   #35

Good to know!

Thanks
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:12   #36

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
I find the advantages of 2 inboard engines invaluable for many reasons. twice the distance for half the engine hours.. in heavy weather which can spring up unannounced over here steering by engines can be critical to survival as the relatively small rudders become ineffective.
But.. each to their own.
Why are you comparing 2 inboards to 1 outboard? Surely the comparison is only similar if you compare to 2 outboards.

In which case you still have steering, more so in some instances. You save a lot of weight, but lose the ability to have the engine heat water, which is something raw water cooled diesels like my Yanmar can't do anyway.

Rage will be similar, diesel having 20% more energy per litre, EFI being much more efficient. The main problems I see are 1) For best results the cat should be designed with them in mind in the first place 2) Nothing over the Yamaha 9.9 or Honda 15hp is available in an XL 25" shaft length, and the Honda doesn't even have that great a gear reduction.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:42   #37

So, what would be a good outboard pair of engines?

I like the idea of been able to take get the engine off the boat in case needs repair..

Versus the need of either learning to do everything my self or bring a mechanic aboard to fix the engine...

The boat I will go with is the Prout....If it pass the survey and, we cone to an agreement in price.

So.....any input would be really appreciated
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46   #38

Well Prouts are built with diesels in mind and are best left that way really, but have on search on these boards, as I distinctly remember a thread about a Prout owner converting to an outboard.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59   #39

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiros View Post
So, what would be a good outboard pair of engines?
Dig into the Wharram catamaran forums. They are mostly outboard powered and they try to fit high thrust/torque long shaft motors and there are some specifically preferred models for this.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Why are you comparing 2 inboards to 1 outboard? Surely the comparison is only similar if you compare to 2 outboards.

In which case you still have steering, more so in some instances. You save a lot of weight, but lose the ability to have the engine heat water, which is something raw water cooled diesels like my Yanmar can't do anyway.

Rage will be similar, diesel having 20% more energy per litre, EFI being much more efficient. The main problems I see are 1) For best results the cat should be designed with them in mind in the first place 2) Nothing over the Yamaha 9.9 or Honda 15hp is available in an XL 25" shaft length, and the Honda doesn't even have that great a gear reduction.
I am stating my preference not comparing..
Others have said a central ob is best.. having sailed boats like HT 26's and Iroquois and a couple of others with this set up I prefer the twin inboard option.. as to heating water from any inboard.. a little inventive plumbing can resolve that.
If your ob's are set up for dual control at the helm and set on the hulls thats fine.. but inbetween is another matter.. not the same level of positive thrust.. think about it.. the further aft the better.
Ourboards have their advantages and I am not saying they dont.. but having been in situations where a central ob would have been useless.. I am just putting the case for 2 inboards.
What you choose is down to you.. I am merely giving the OP my personal view.. thats why he posted.. for opinions.

Old 09-12-2018, 17:11   #41

Another advantage of inboards, big alternators.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 00:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
If you really need 25" shafts, you can get after market extensions for larger outboards. We checked on this when we got a new 25hp outboard but tried it with the 20" shaft and never felt the need for more length.

But agree, if you are concerned with longevity, you need to either factor in twice (more going to diesel) cost or compare to a twin outboard setup.
Old 10-12-2018, 00:22   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Another advantage of inboards, big alternators.
With the cost of solar panels, this isn't much of an advantage anymore.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:30   #44

Boat: Mahe 36

Had a FP Maldives 32 with single OB, what a nightmare! Anything over about 15 knts it went where it wanted in reverse. 15hp 4 stroke. In a well in the cockpit but still prop came out of the water in the short sharp chop you get in Estuaries.
Now got a Mahe 36 and 2 inboard make you a mooring genius!
Got to say though Maldives 32 is a fantastic sailing boat, very regular in to mid teens, if you love sailing look at one.
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
Had a FP Maldives 32 with single OB, what a nightmare! Anything over about 15 knts it went where it wanted in reverse. 15hp 4 stroke. In a well in the cockpit but still prop came out of the water in the short sharp chop you get in Estuaries.
Now got a Mahe 36 and 2 inboard make you a mooring genius!
Got to say though Maldives 32 is a fantastic sailing boat, very regular in to mid teens, if you love sailing look at one.
Sounds like it was badly designed and set up. The Maldives 32 was on my shortlist, but all had diesels. Properly designed there is no reason the outboard should ever have the prop coming out of the water when in waves.

The Mahe 36 is a great boat, but used prices are very close to those of the Athena, Lavezzi, and the Belize.