Chuck thank you very much your info.
Some people say you can live on $1,000 to $2,000 per month cruising on a sailboat.
But most of these people are talking about only the day to day cruising costs and not everything.
Your spreadsheet looks like it included everything.
Your average for the 12 years was $3,500 per month or $42,000 per year.
This in the same ballpark as 2 people living in a single family
home if you include everything over 12 years (house maintenance
, trips, car expenses, etc.)
I would breakdown the costs into 3 major categories.
1. Cruising Costs - The normal Day to day costs for food
, entertainment Etc.
2. Maintained costs - The Costs needed to keep the boat
in ship shape.
3. Non-Boat costs - The costs for travel home, hotel
and other non-boat costs.
I think if I were to start cruising full time I would budget
1. $2,000 per month for Cruising Costs - The normal Day to day costs for food, entertainment Etc.
2. $500 per month for Maintained costs - This may seem low for some but I would most likely cruise
on a 26ft boat
, so the costs would be lower.
3. $1,000 per month for Non-Boat costs - The costs for travel home, hotel
, food and other non-boat costs.
The total of $3,500 per month would be a little high but when I estimate costs I always like to estimate on the high side.
Some questions about your maintenance
1. How often do you replace your standing rigging
2. Are there any other major maintenance issues you will need to do in the next few years?