Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 18:08   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
If you buy books from Amazon you are fine. If you copy those books to someone else you are not fine.

There are sites to download copyrighted works for free. That would be illegal as well. A post was removed for listing some of those sites. Cruisers Forum does not allow links to sites that help you do illegal things.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 18:20   #77

There is an interesting discussion to be had about what you are buying when you buy digital media.

If you buy a book you can give it to someone. If you buy a chart the same.

Yet Garmin sells their Blue Charts and you get to unlock them 2x (IIRC) and then you can use them again. So if you had a couple of garmin plotters that died or damaged or stolen and you bought a new plotter, you could not use the charts you already bought.

The idea is to prevent people from competing and stealing their work and then selling it, I suppose or giving it and denying them a sale.

I don't know the answer to this problem of electrons and intellectual property, but it will become increasingly hard to control digitized media.

The music industry is having a hard time with the switch from vinyl to bytes.

Having to buy charts you own seems unjust and a plain rip off. It pisses of customers and encourages people to find work arounds.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 18:43   #78
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

jw-
Buying from Amazon is completely legal, don't worry.

Mike-
I think there are two big reasons for the amount of copyright violation today. First, because folks just don't give a damn, they only care about what they can get not how they can get it. That's not just kids, but Bernie Madoff and half the MBAs since the 1970s.

Then there might be a grayer line...folks like the recording studios have long been ripping off the public and karma's a bitch. Like, charging $9 for a cassette tape (production cost about $3-4) and then $17 for a CD (production cost under a buck) which is simply gross profiteering, especially when the bands and creatives who MADE the art are lucky to get just one buck from it all. And let's not forget how many artists have sued how many studios over bogus accounting and stolen profits. There's good reason for folks to say "Screw Hollywood, here's payback, I'm tired of being ripped off."

I don't argue legal or morale or ethical, I just find great satisfaction in seeing the wheel turn.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11   #79

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Thank you Hellosailor..just want to do the right thing and am glad for amazon.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwidahonurse View Post
OK... call me stupid..what are you guys talking about? If I buy books for the Kindle from amazon...I'm not doing any thing illeagal..right?
Nope. Those publishers have made their products available through the kindle publishing platform on amazon. They get paid and the authors get their royalties. We were talking about when people make unauthorized copies of books, music, software, etc. (any kind of intellectual property) and then "share" it with others who have NOT paid for it.

When you buy digital stuff, you're not actually buying the stuff itself. You're purchasing a license to use it, but you're generally NOT purchasing a license to distribute it either for money or for free. When people do that, it's pirating. Or to put it more succinctly, stealing.
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post

When you buy digital stuff, you're not actually buying the stuff itself. You're purchasing a license to use it, but you're generally NOT purchasing a license to distribute it either for money or for free. When people do that, it's pirating. Or to put it more succinctly, stealing.

Unless you're Chinese, then it is OK.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 18:53   #82

Boat: Skookum 53'
Which leads me to wonder, if you buy a book, and then trade it to someone else for another book, or resell the book, have you violated the law?
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 19:13   #83

Boat: 28' Telstar Trimaran
I have been using a Palm Pilot as an ereader for years and have a number of books stored on its SD card. I have the eReader software on it and there are a number of sites that have low cost books to download. It is fairly easy to swap the books with others. What is nice is the autoscroll feature which you can increase or decrease the speed. These days, used palms are pretty cheap on ebay and the software is free. There is a site that has free ebooks for many of the classics, like Moby Dick, the Bible, etc... Other pay sites are ebook.com. One other nice feature is the dictionary. If you don't know a word, highlight it, and the Palm will take you to the dictionary with the definition.

You can also compile your own ebooks with free software. So if you have a word document, convert it to text, save it and then drop it onto the software, it will convert it into an ebook.

Right now the current models have a problem with really bright sunlight. The battery will go for approximately 12-24 hours without a charge and they really don't draw that many amps for charging.

There needs to be a way to buy the information such as the rights to music or written material without having to re-buy it when another format comes out. If you bought a Rolling Stones vinyl in the 70s or 80s and then want to buy the cd or mp3, you are actually paying for the material again, just because it now is in a different format. Seems like double dipping or double taxation. For example, in the past, you could have a garage sale and sell that Bobby Goldsboro album for 9 cents and not get into trouble, but you can't sell crappy digital music at same garage sale or you could be committing a crime.
onremlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 21:10   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Which leads me to wonder, if you buy a book, and then trade it to someone else for another book, or resell the book, have you violated the law?
No. But if you bought that book and then made copies and distributed them you would be breaking the law. Just ask Kinko's about that. They got into BIG trouble with copying textbooks a while back and ended up paying a seven-figure fine.
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09   #85
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I have been using a Palm Pilot...its SD card."

I'll bet not. The Pilot Pen company sued Palm and enjoined them from using the term "Pilot" on any of their devices ages ago. Before Palm PDAs had any ability to use SD cards or other removable memory. My first Palm was a Pilot, my second was not.

If you have a Palm Pilot that uses an SD memory card, you have a counterfeit device! And you can expect the Pilot Pen company to send goons, thugs, and attorneys to deal with that.
Old 13-04-2009, 03:52   #86

Boat: 28' Telstar Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I have been using a Palm Pilot...its SD card."

I'll bet not. The Pilot Pen company sued Palm and enjoined them from using the term "Pilot" on any of their devices ages ago. Before Palm PDAs had any ability to use SD cards or other removable memory. My first Palm was a Pilot, my second was not.

If you have a Palm Pilot that uses an SD memory card, you have a counterfeit device! And you can expect the Pilot Pen company to send goons, thugs, and attorneys to deal with that.

I apologize to the Pilot Pen company for using their name in my post and especially apologize to any corporate copyright attorneys that may see this post. I only used it as a clarification. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to grab a Kleenex, I mean a tissue paper, then I need to Xerox, I mean make some copies.
onremlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 09:45   #87

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Thank you. I am happy with what amazon has to offer . A very large selection. I love the Kindle so far...hope it works when we are many miles out at sea.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 11:22   #88

Boat: Ensenada 20
Another nice feature for the Kindle is that Amazon lets you download sizeable "samples" without charge so that you can read a chapter or so and determine if you want to buy the book.

Also, most books have "customer comments" so that you see what other readers thought about a book you are considering.

Have had my Kindle 2 for a few weeks now and love it.

Just got back from a weekend trip on a plane. Usually have about three books "in process" and carry them along on my trips. It was great to carry just the Kindle and not have to deal w/ the bulk of the books.

For me, it's taken some adjustment time to get comfortable reading newspapers and magazines on the Kindle, but I love not having the already read newspapers and magazines to dispose.

Regarding the Kindle's web browser, I think it's lousy and very cumbersome and difficult to use. If/when they ever make the browser more user friendly, I could foresee using the Kindle more than my laptop computer.

I also like paying only $9.99 for new best sellers, and like that many older books in which I am interested costing only 99 cents +/-. It will take awhile, but eventually I expect that what I'm saving in the lower book costs, and the lower subscription costs for the Wall Street Journal, Forbes magazine, etc. will more than cover the high initial cost of the Kindle 2.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 12:12   #89

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfin View Post
I also like paying only $9.99 for new best sellers, and like that many older books in which I am interested costing only 99 cents +/-. It will take awhile, but eventually I expect that what I'm saving in the lower book costs, and the lower subscription costs for the Wall Street Journal, Forbes magazine, etc. will more than cover the high initial cost of the Kindle 2.
I did not know those were that cheap.

I am thinking of getting one for the wife and she reads tons of the romance novels. Are those "pretty cheap"?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 18:22   #90
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

jw-
"hope it works when we are many miles out at sea."
Understand this: Cellular networks, including cellular data networks, reject connections that are more than 32 miles from the nearest tower. Out at sea? The Kindle will work--but the data connection will not.

(32 miles is typical, the exact limit is imposed by the network carrier, and it doesn't matter if you can get a signal or not, there are other factors being used.)