Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 11:35   #16

Boat: Tashiba 40
Kindle

I've just started looking in to this and I just wanted to clarify a few things. The new Kindle says it will work any where I have an internet connection (doesn't have to be wireless). I usually have a good connection in the Bahamas but as I understand the previous posts, I wouldn't be able to download books over there. Correct? Thanks!
Old 30-09-2008, 11:49   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Mary.

I was very interested in the Kindle when I first heard about it, since getting books shipped to Nevis is a time-consuming and expensive operation. I went to the Amazon website to find out how it worked. My interpretation of their writeup is that it downloads book files using the Sprint wireless phone network. They have a coverage map in the middle of all the verbage on the site. Unfortunately, that feature won't work outside the Sprint network.

I did learn that you can also load audio books from Audible.com and Word documents via email over the Internet. For me that's not enough to make the Kindle a worthwhile purchase. I can listen to audio books on my Ipod, and read Word files on my laptop.
Old 30-09-2008, 19:21   #18

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
To Hud3
You are correct, it works via the Sprint Wireless network same as a cell phone. An internet wireless connection is not required. As far as the pricing goes, my thought process is that with my husband's occupation (professional racer), we will probably be back in the states at least once a year once we leave to go cruising. I have been downloading books to the Kindle and tranferring to my Omega external hard drive. Again, I go back to my statement that I like to read vs. listen. If you are ok with listening, then yes, the Kindle is a product that requires some forethought regarding books you might like to read in the future. However, I am counting on the fact that wireless phone connections (via phone) are becomoing more and more efficient. I am hoping that in a matter of two years max, I can download to my Kindle anywhere. Note that it is true per the Amazon website, the books download in a matter of about 2 minutes or less. I read authors such as Richard North Patterson, David Balduci and a few Nora Robersts for the mindless stuff To date, nothing has taken more than 2 minutes to download. I can shop for book on line as well as on the Kindle. I do not regret the price at all. I hope this helps. Maybe I should be a sales rep!
Old 30-09-2008, 19:24   #19

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
To Agur's Wish.

I have not tried buying the books on line with an internet connection. I am guessing that it would work and then you can transfer to the Kindle via the USB cord. If you try it, please let me know.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39   #20

Here's what Amazon said

I posted my questions at Amazon and here's what they replied

Q: I want to buy my Kindle here in the states but want to use it on my sailboat in the Bahamas. I usually have good wireless connections. Will I be able to buy Kindle books while down there through the computer and upload them to the Kindle?

A: The Whispernet will probably not work but you can buy books on your computer and transfer them to your Kindle with the USB cable.

Q: Also will I be able to upload books from other sites such as libraries?

A: Technically, yes. Of course, it depends on what format the library books are in and if they are compatible with the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 1:52 PM PDT
Leslie H. Nicoll says: Q: If one is out of the US can one buy a book thru internet (PC) and then pass it to the Kindle with USB??

A: The short answer is Yes. This assumes you have a Kindle and a valid Amazon.com account with a US credit card and billing address. My understanding is that you cannot purchase Kindle content without a Kindle registered to your account. Likewise, you cannot purchase a Kindle from Amazon if you are not in the US. You could, theoretically, buy a Kindle from eBay, or have a US-based friend buy and send you a Kindle. But without a US address, you still wouldn't be able to buy content for your Kindle from Amazon.

Unfortunately, I haven't convinced the cap'n that this is a necessary device but I'm still trying. I am a voracious reader and find most of the books at book swaps not to my taste. Believe me I've ended up reading a lot of books I never thought I would.
Old 02-10-2008, 18:39   #21

i have one we have about 300 books on it so far at 5 $ or so each it has far paid for it self and you can read them any time. very easy and nice. also i get my daily newspaper on it. and all the books fit on a counter.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:14   #22

Wunnerful!

I'm getting ready to order mine and I'm so excited. Has anybody had any experience uploading from a public library. The Denver library has a lot of titles available but as I posted from Amazon above they have to be in a certain format. Does anyone know what format the Kindle books are? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
They're in a proprietary format called "mobi". According to the Amazon description of the Kindle, it can also display books in Microsoft Word files. It says that the PDF format is "experimental" at this time, and might not display correctly.
Old 03-10-2008, 13:42   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Do you guys ever miss that nice feeling of sitting down to a book - using no power, feeling the paper and getting cozy? "
Sure. I prefer paper if I don't have to carry it.

But at the airport you'll find me reading older material free from Project Guttenburg, or listening to audio books while I rest my eyes, in both cases using my "smart phone" to deal with them. Or, listening to music on it.

It isn't the best quality music or the ideal way to read books--but it can hide in my pocket with SO much on it!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 14:05   #25

I love my Kindle

"http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=afimasr...1=FFFFFF&f=ifr"

I now have about 80 books downloaded and free shelfspace on the boat. I have had no problems with it and a friend on another boat dropped his and they actually sent him on free of charge. The bad thing is that another friend tried to order one and there was a 13 week wait.
Old 26-12-2008, 15:05   #26

FMMary,

Like the iPod where you can carry a record collection and a picture album and a and a with Kindle you can have a library in your pocket. But you can't down load outside the USA. Bummer.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 15:15   #27

No you can't download directly to the Kindle outside of the US but if you have internet access you can download any book you buy from Amazon or any book from free sites to your download file than upload it to your Kindle using the USB cable that comes with the Kindle.
Old 29-01-2009, 06:42   #28

A good site to understand ebooks and the different readers and formats is:

MobileRead Forums
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 07:26   #29

Boat: Privilege 37
For the cruising sailor moving outside USA, the Sony is a better bet if you want to read it in book form. It is better able to deal with different formats.

Personally I prefer the IPOD and audio books, although they do need much larger storage hard drive.
Old 29-01-2009, 07:59   #30

we have one and we love it. When out of Wispernet range you can download books from Amazon via your PC, and then xfer them from the PC to the Kindle via the supplied USB cable.

It reads EXACTLY like a book, ie it needs external lighting. The brighter the better. Full sun is great. That also means that for night reading you'll need a reading light, just like a book!!

Treat it like you do all your other electronic gear and you'll be fine.
Treat it like a paper back book and you'll not be happy..

Only downside I've seen is that you can't swap books with others.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote