Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 07:32   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
The 'Interview With A Cruiser' Project

I am delighted to announce "The Interview With A Cruiser Project". The second interview went live today with Pat & Ali of Bumfuzzle and over the next 3 weeks I have interviews already in hand with SV Sereia, Esper & Annie Laurie. Interviews come out on Mondays.

You can suggest people to interview (including yourself) if they/you fit the general criteria and suggest new questions by following the directions on the FAQ.

You can subscribe to receive notification of new interviews via email, feed or twitter by using the links at the bottom of any page on the site.

Feel free to link the project on any site/blog/forum or if you want a nice looking badge, see the html posted on the site on the right side bar.

Enjoy!
------------------------
About the project

Purpose. The purpose of the project is to record some of the wisdom of the masses of cruisers who are out there on the water for the dreamers and planners still at their desks by using a focused interview format.

Participants. The interviewees are cruisers who have been cruising outside of the US & Canada for more than 2 years. The interviewees are not in any way selected randomly but this is not a closed pool. Anyone may suggest themselves or a friend for an interview. See the FAQ page for more information.

The interviewer is Livia from SV Estrellita 5.10b.

Method. In addition to a starting pool of questions that Livia generated, readers of her blog were asked for questions, interviewees are asked to generate questions, and readers of The Interview With A Cruiser Project are encouraged to submit questions. As you can see it is a steadily growing bank of questions. Each interviewee is asked 10 questions via email, drawn from the larger bank. As the base of interviews grows, there will be overlap with each question eventually being answered by multiple cruisers. The Project is designed so that readers can sort the interviews to see all interviews that addressed any question in the bank. See the FAQ page for more details on searching.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:01   #2

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Great Idea!

I just visited your website and read the interview. This is a great concept, and I think it'll be a huge boon to those thinking about going cruising. I look forward to reading more interviews.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:34   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
This is probably the best project of its kind I have ever come across.. Its information from real people out cruising.. And shows the Good and the Bad of the lifestyle..
100% thumbs up!
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 09:48   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Very cool!..Good-on-ya

I will be following along with great interest.

Are you a reporter/researcher by vocation?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 10:01   #5

Thanks everyone - I'm excited about the project.

...and yes Stillraining, you got me, I was a professor.
Old 29-03-2010, 10:09   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang.!...I bet there were allot of boy crushes ..your a cutie!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:43   #7

Thanks everyone - We had visitors in the hundreds yesterday and a number of question and interviewee suggestions. I won't announce future interviews here so if you want to see the next set (Mondays), check back on the site or sign up for email or feed or twitter updates at the bottom of the page.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:49   #8

Boat: Morgan 461
Livia, this is great! My wife and I read books, magazines, blogs, and forums, and try to get our paws on any material that will give us more information on the cruising lifestyle we envision for ourselves and our kids. This is another great source. Thanks for putting it together.
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 12:09   #9

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enovillo View Post
My wife and I read books, magazines, blogs, and forums, and try to get our paws on any material that will give us more information on the cruising lifestyle we envision for ourselves...
We are the same which is why I decided to go ahead with this. In addition to the interviews already in hand I just received two more interview acceptances so my list of "in progress" interviews is growing.
Old 30-03-2010, 13:09   #10

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Livia, the first two interviews are great! Marisa and I are looking forward to many more. Great to have you here on the forum!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 08:12   #11

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We've been featured in a few online publications which is helping as well.

One suggestion I just implemented yesterday was the ability to comment - not on each interview but once every 5 interviews I open up a discussion.
Old 24-06-2010, 21:16   #12

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Glad to see that this project is still going strong! Nice job and keep up the good work! There is now something good about Mondays!
Spencer
Old 01-07-2010, 14:08   #13

Thanks Spencer!
Old 01-07-2010, 14:20   #14

Hi Livia, Great idea as I've been doing this, unofficially for years as I try to as much information as possible about everything!! I try to meet as many cruisers as possible and gain their perspective on everything from provisions, style of cruising, equipment, procedures for all types of hazards, etc...

Glad that you are publishing your findings as I love to hear even more people's experiences!! Nice work and keep it up!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:44   #15

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
I've been reading it every Monday morning for several weeks now. Gives me something to look forward to on Monday morning. You have a great list of questions assembled and I really enjoy reading the interviews.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote