Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 09:07   #1

The Circumnavigators: Small Boat Voyagers of Modern Times - Free online e-books

I'm a big fan of free, online nautical e-books (audiobooks also, when my eyes are too tired to read).

For those interested, here's a link to a wonderful, 40-year-old, free online e-book entitled 'The Circumnavigators: Small Boat Voyagers of Modern Times' - (c) 1974, by Donald R. Holm

http://www.stexboat.com/books/circumnav/ci_a.htm

http://www.stexboat.com/books/circumnav/ci_table.htm

It's a well-researched and fairly exhaustive (although thin at times) collection of cruising life, single-handed sailing stories, and dangers at sea (e.g., "Moby Dick and Other Hazards" - a great section of documented whale-related attacks, etc.).

If, by chance, that doesn't pique your interest, then maybe some of these will:

Browse subject: Sailing | The Online Books Page

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If there is not already a "sticky" link to free online sailing/cruising e-books, then maybe there should be.

"In an age when mass society has rendered obsolete the qualities of individual courage and independent thought, the oceans of the world still remain, vast and uncluttered, beautiful but unforgiving, awaiting those who will not submit. Their voyages are not an escape, but a fulfillment."

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 14:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: The Circumnavigators: Small Boat Voyagers of Modern Times - Free online e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I'm a big fan of free, online nautical e-books (audiobooks also, when my eyes are too tired to read).

For those interested, here's a link to a wonderful, 40-year-old, free online e-book entitled 'The Circumnavigators: Small Boat Voyagers of Modern Times' - (c) 1974, by Donald R. Holm

The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm - Title page

The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm - Table of Contents

It's a well-researched and fairly exhaustive (although thin at times) collection of cruising life, single-handed sailing stories, and dangers at sea (e.g., "Moby Dick and Other Hazards" - a great section of documented whale-related attacks, etc.).

If, by chance, that doesn't pique your interest, then maybe some of these will:

Browse subject: Sailing | The Online Books Page

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If there is not already a "sticky" link to free online sailing/cruising e-books, then maybe there should be.

"In an age when mass society has rendered obsolete the qualities of individual courage and independent thought, the oceans of the world still remain, vast and uncluttered, beautiful but unforgiving, awaiting those who will not submit. Their voyages are not an escape, but a fulfillment."

~ THE SLOCUM SOCIETY ~
Good resources, and this probably is more relevant in our "Library" forum than here.

Any objection to having it moved there?
Old 27-08-2015, 14:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Circumnavigators: Small Boat Voyagers of Modern Times - Free online e-books

Years ago I read some of that linked book and enjoyed what I read.

I think it would be best moved to the Library forum, as people go there looking for books to read.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 14:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Good resources, and this probably is more relevant in our "Library" forum than here.

Any objection to having it moved there?
Hi avb3 (and Steady Hand), no problem at all! I didn't realize that there is Library forum. Please relocate, thanks!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 20:43   #5

Thank you so much for the reference to the e book. I am so enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:41   #6
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I am also creating a collection of free e-books on sailing and boating. These ones are mostly from the Gutenberg project.

I found your post while looking for others. Great resources, thank you.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20   #7

Boat: Pearson 367

Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World as well as Voyage of the Liberdade are also free from the Gutenberg Project.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books