Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2005, 14:16   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Sharks

Hi Yona

As a commercial diver & spearfisherman for many years here in south FL & the Bahamas I have dove thousands of dives, and I have had many close encounters with large Bull, Tiger & Great Hammer heads sharks. I have not seen them close there eyes until they bite down on something. (maybe because I close my eyes when they get up close to me haha) It always raises the hair all over my body when one of them 500lb plus- guys get up close & personal with me. Ive had many big sharks take my fish off my spear or grab the fish and the bag & eat the whole thing, its an erie feeling when a shark comes out of nowhere & has grabbed your fish & swims away, you can hear all the bones being chushed as the shark eats the fish!-

I think sharks are not all that interested in people, mostly other fish (usually) I wonder if anything could deter them if thay had a mind to have you as a snack?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 08:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Bad old days....

In the bad old days some uncaring folk used to put a .303 or a well waxed shotgun cartridge into a suitable holder with a well positioned spring loaded firing pin and mount the whole thing on the end of a hand spear.
One twist to lock, reverse to unlock.
Some of the more chicken individuals used to mount it on the business end of a spear gun.
Aparently sharks like to do a few close circles before dinner.
I believe they are banned now, but could probaly be found on ebay(everthing else seems to be there).
Some of the more daring individuals used to mount three four inch nails on the end of a broom handle and poke the result at any creature that came too close.
This might all belong in the same category as the story about the poor soul who wore a red lined wetsuit inside out.
It used to be said that one had a better chance of being struck by lightning than being atacked by a shark.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote