Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 07:34   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
re: Captain Cook

You might be interested in seeing a couple photos I just put on my blog: one of the anchorage down on Stewart Island, NZ, used by Captain Cook and next the replica of the Endeavour that sailed around the world and it's relationshhip to that anchorage.
The blog is MERRY SAILOR
Mary the Antique Sailor
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:51   #32

Boat: Crealock 37
Two Yachts, Two Voyages - Eric Hiscock. Realistic down to earth read. Not quite as colorful as Herb Payson's 'Blown Away' - but enjoyable, just the same.
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 21:54   #33

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
i was comong on to see if there was a book section, ive done nothing but read for some time, unfortunatly i dont get to do much sailing in the off seasons in new york. currently im going through jerome fitzgeralds seasteading a life of hope and freedom. an opinions on this one? its been very left wing lots of philosophy , im wondering out there in the cruising comunity how many people actually go by what he says, and the ideas about not using a motor at all and if you do your not using a sailboat but a motorboat.

all questions and reviews aside i have enjoyed the book. it is a very difrent take on a similar subect to beth leonards voyagers handbook. ( great read very ecinomical. ) reminds me of the last one i went through of hal roths. i still have piles of boooks but any great suggestions for which one to read next its been a long cold winter!
seancrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:27   #34

Boat: Crealock 37
'The Boat Who Wouldn't Float' - by Farley Mowat is probably one of my all time favorites. It is older (1960's) but funny, quick paced, and full of good real-life examples of what NOT to do....
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 18:47   #35

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
How about The Logical Route (around the horne!) and The Long Way Round round by Bernard Motessier
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 19:40   #36

Embarassement of Mangoes by Ann Vanderhoff first sparked my interest in cruising its about her and her husband dropping everything and sailing from Toronto to trinidad fortwo years
rydstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 15:19   #37

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
hmm i heard of that one iocum cant believe i didnt start here. i'll have to pick it up. im just now finishing josh slocum cant believe i didnt start with him its great. but embaresmnt of mangoes sounds good. trinidad was one of the possible move spots. but me and the misses decided on hawaii instread.
Old 21-09-2008, 17:32   #38

Slocum's other book

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You've all recommended good books but for thrill about sailing you can't beat "Shipkiller." Can't remember the author but it'll keep you on the edge of your seat.
JohnL
Author is Justin Scott. Good yarn and fun for the mono/multi warriors.

Don't forget Joshua Slocum's Voyage of the Liberdade, in which he describes losing his ship in Brazil and building a small boat in which he sailed back to the US with his wife and two kids. Boatbuilders especially will enjoy reading the list of tools he had available.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote