Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 19:34   #1

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia
Pardey Biography - As Long as It's Fun

Cruising World Magazine Senior Editor, Herb McCormick has hit a home run with his new biography of Lin and Larry Pardey including "warts and all". Check out the Wall Street Journal book review by Angus Phillips.

The book is a fast read that you just can't put down. Even if you are familiar with the Pardey's books and videos, you'll be captivated by the back story of their cruising life from their first meeting in California through their struggles to gain and keep their independent life style and their marriage while building their engineless wooden boats and adopting sailing strategies that many label eccentric. McCormick chronicles the years of their two circumnavigations as well as the many years in between which led them to select a protected cove in New Zealand as their home base and their final destination. Highly recommend.

Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 20:43   #2

Re: Pardey Biography - As Long as It's Fun

Read it a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.
One thing stood out for me, the mantra "go small, go simple, go now" is all well and good, but the Pardeys never went anywhere until they were 100% ready for any and all possible contingencies.
In other words, one can't go "now" until the boat has EVERY possible safety item, and the crew know everything they need to know about sailing.
No refitting along the way, not where safety equipment is concerned. And no learning as you go.

Also, while boat building, Lynn was doing the money-making while Larry was doing the boat work. So to emulate them i'd need to find a woman to go to work for me, while i do the boat work.

I suppose what i'm getting at is that when i read their books i sometimes feel that i'm a little inadequate because i'm still struggling to get 'out there'.
But when i read their biography i realise that there are a few little details that made it possible for them to get out there that many of us can't emulate.
I can go simple and small, but one can't go "now" without a very well prepared boat and a sizeable cruising kitty.

Having aired that little niggle, i still admire the Pardeys enormously.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 20:58   #3

Boat: Olson 40

I dunno about the premise that you can ever be fully prepared for all life -- and sailing -- can throw at you. You must learn as you go. That is simply life.

You need very little life saving stuff, until you need it. You need very little money, until you need it.

I have had lots of fantastic sailing adventures for almost no money. True, some times huge stacks of bills have been consumed, but these boats and trips were FAR less fun than the cheap trips. I know many -- perhaps most -- cruisers who live on a tiny fraction of the amount my kids spend frivolously in a month. One friend took off for years, several trans Atlantics, seasons in the med, cap horn, throughout the south pacific, for MUCH less than $10,000, including the boat.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:26   #4

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I'm about three quarters through the book and really enjoying it.

I do not see in this book that you have to be prepared for everything. That's just their 'table stakes' for seamanship, which I think is very common, more so among cruisers who started in the 70's. I think you also have to remember that their second boat is a work of art, and it's not necessary to go to that length.

I learned something very different about the Pardeys: they thought far ahead, but remained very flexible and never got too attached to their plans. That is something I try to do in my own life, and it's interesting to see how this strategy has turned out for folks who are decades ahead of me in life and share a few passions and values.

I'm now reading "The Wisdom of Insecurity" (Alan Watts), which is mentioned the biography as one that was influential to the Pardey's. I'm enjoying it.

Tags
fun, pardey