Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 10:40   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
HELP STOP the DROPS

Survey targets minor fuel-dock spills:

As part of its national “Help Stop the Drops” clean fueling program, the BoatU.S. Foundation is actively seeking input from recreational boaters on fueling habits and experiences. Responses to this short survey will be useful in the further development of educational programs for boaters and marinas nationwide.

The goal with “Help Stop the Drops” is to reach every boater and every marina fuel dock with “how to” tips and products to prevent drips while refueling. Foundation staff is also taking a look at how boats are built, and how they might be changed in the future so the next generation of boaters doesn’t have to deal with boats "burping" fuel the way we presently do.

But, we need candid ideas and personal accounts from you – the boater filling up. So please take our quick, anonymous survey by clicking here. http://www.boatus.com/foundation/
then goto:
http://www.boatus.com/foundationsurv...=lLM9m3KI8p8KG

See also the article:
Foundation findings #40 - Products to Keep Fuel Where it Belongs - In Your Tank:
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findings/findings40/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 20:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Mate, the cost we have to pay for fuel is a big incentive to stopping it from being spilt. Petrol (gas for you yanks) just went to NZ$1.45/ltr here this morning and is set to continue to rise. I haven't seen the Diesel price yet, but I think it is going to hurt somewhat when I do.

On a clear still morning, if one listens hard, you can hear the sobs of grown men all over the country, as they fill their fuel tanks.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 00:49   #3

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
High cost of fuel

Here in Venezeula diesel is 7 cents US a gallon. With no EPA they do not wory about the drop. There is always enough fuel floating on the water we sometimes worry about fires.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:39   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Wheels, my heart bleeds for you at NZ1.45 per litre.

1.45 New Zealand Dollar = 0.576 British Pound at latest conversion rates

Petrol in UK has just topped £1 per litre
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 19:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes I know you guy's pay a lot and it must make you cry as well.
Do remember one point though, we on average earn much less than you guy's. It works out at ruffly dollar for pound. So where you earn say (just as a figure) 100 pound/week, we are $100/dollars a week. So convert that back, we are earning aprox 30Pounds, but still have to pay the same for products. It is interesting when looking through the electronics adds in Praticle sailor. The prices are almost exactly the same (once converted) as we pay here.
And so I guess that's the most difficult factor to add when looking at the price of fuel around the world. As pointed out that fuel is only 7c/USG in Veneseula, I bet the Venezeulan people don't earn as much as we do either.
The only ones I don't have simpathy for are the Americans. Sorry Guy's, but with what you guy's earn and what you pay for fuel, Guy's sorry but you just don't have an argument.

Old 13-08-2005, 00:19   #6

Venezuela

No the Venezuliasan people earn a lot less. A skilled varhisher will make about $17 US a day. Chavez once tried to raise the fuel prices and a country wide riot broke out. If the cost went up it would wipe out the industry as few could afford to live here. (Many can't)

ADvantage is for people who visit and get the currency advantage. Just like the folks from Europe visiting the USD because the exchange is favorable.

It will be a shock to go back to the US. But I am sure that this is true where ever one is from.
Old 19-08-2005, 09:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rising Fuel Costs

U.S. DOE sees fuel prices continuing to rise:

Average retail prices of gasoline and diesel jumped nearly 20 cents a gallon earlier this week, the largest increase on record, according to a weekly government report.

The Department of Energy’s Energy Information Agency says prices at the pumps will continue to rise over the next few weeks as recent price increases in the wholesale market work their way through to consumers.

Crude oil prices, which last week topped $66 a gallon, helped lead to price increases at the pump. But reduced supply of gasoline due to recent refinery outages, which reduce the amount of gasoline or diesel that can be produced, also drove up prices.

“The biggest problem is refinery problems,” says Kevin Little of Onyx Mansfield oil. “Refineries drive everything that’s going on in the country.”

The nation’s gasoline supply fell by 5 million barrels last week to 198.1 million barrels, or 12 percent below last year, according to the Department of Energy. Crude oil inventories grew by 300,000 barrels last week to 321.1 million barrels, or 11 percent above year ago levels.

Retail prices were on the rise throughout the country, with average prices for regular gasoline about 18.2 cents higher and diesel prices about 16 cents higher.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 20:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guy's are told one story, we are told another and Europe another and so on. At the end of it all, What's REALLY driving prices up?? POLITICS!!!. But lets not go there. The fall out that Political arguments create, is just not worth it.

Old 20-08-2005, 02:51   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I use to work for a company that did maintenance at refineries and I can tell you it's not cheap to produce petrol of any kind.
One coker valve (steam heated 12" ball valve) cost over 60,000 $US and there are dozens in line and they only last a couple years. Let alone all the thousands of other valves, heaters and plumbing.

I'm not sure how anyone could afford to sell petrol at 7 cents. If Venezuela can charge only 7cents per gal. Then the rest of the world is being ripped off.
Try making it at home and see what it entails. The EPA will be at your doorstep and a flash.

There is talk of a new refinery going up in Arizona, only because it is so far away from population........................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2005, 13:36   #10

no fuel taxes and ....

For Ven it is easy. No taxes are included in the fuel (gee I wonder how much taxes are included in the cost of US fuel prices). As the 5 th largest producer of oil in the world and 15% of the US imported oil they are not paying $60US a barrel. Thier costs is the cost to pump and refine.

Labor rates here are very low, semi skilled labor make about 15-$35 a day. Keeps the expense low.

Finally the goverment keeps it low. Without cheap fuel the economy here would grind to a stop. The salaries don't permit higher fuel costs and alternative transportation is non existant on a large scale.

The rest of the world is paying for transporation, higher labor costs, and punative taxation fuel (IMO).
Old 20-08-2005, 15:35   #11

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Fuel cost

In Canada about 50% of the final cost is taxes. We can produce enough to satisfy all the needs, and it could be a lot cheaper. But there is the lost opportunity cost to be considered, so the retail price is similar to world markets.
Taxes pay for all the government programmes, plus our one old helicopter.
The US produces about 1/3 of its requirements and fuel is cheaper there, likely from lower taxes. England was at $1.75 liter 2 years ago and I suspect that taxes are being used to direct social policy. If the fuel costs twice as much, but you drive a car that goes twice as far it evens out.
My belchmobile does about 14 mpg to the imperial gallon but it only moves when there is work to be done.
Next year I will be riding a motorcycle around town.
I have put in 10 gallons of fuel on the boat this year.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote