Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2006, 05:55   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Excellent Book !

I'm reading All in the Same Boat by Tom Neale. It's about a a family of four living aboard and cruising the east coast and Carribean.

He talks about the basics of what kind of boat to buy and why he thinks it is a good idea. But more importantly he talks about things like What on earth do you do all Day and Kids aboard and Teaching Your Kids. Coming from a man who has done this for at least 15 years, he's had a lot of insight and his kids have added information from thier perspective too.

If your thinking about this life style, buy it used from Amazon and give it read! Once again it reinforces that this is what I want to do!

2divers
Old 28-05-2006, 06:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tom Neale is a fabulous writer ~ always entertaining and usually informative!!! I always enjoy reading his work, tho’ I don’t personally like the man.
http://www.tomneale.com/

Tom's most recent BoatUS columns:
http://www.boatus.com/cruising/tomneale/previous.asp

Tom’s Tips:
http://www.boatus.com/cruising/tomneale/tips.asp

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 06:58   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks 2Divers:

I'll have a look at it. I'm always looking for info on kids and cruising.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 05:08   #4

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Thanks Gord for the Websites!

I can see why you might not like him, just the read gives me an idea that he rub me the wrong way in person, but his thoughts and details seem extremely relevant. It's always in the implimintation of the ideas anyways...

Thanks Again!

2divers
Old 29-05-2006, 13:09   #5

Tom Neale sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I can also see one reason why Gord and 2divers doesn't like him. I don't like him either. Just that his info is good. That's it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 14:46   #6

Boat: Dickerson 41
never met Tom Neale

Is he the one who pulled out all his teeth to go and live on, damn I forgot the island, one of the northern Cooks. It was a long time ago.
Now if you want to learn about cruising with kids, circumnavigating, not getting sunk, how not to get eaten by a shark, how to wed a girl in Papua New Guinea, try:

education.of.a.falcon - The Education of a Falcon var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl.

I hope that works, if not try,

sailingbooks - Â*Â* Mike Riley's Sailing Books PageÂ*

Cap't Mike
svbeausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 14:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Your thinking of the other Tom Neale, who wrote "An Island to Oneself", about his sojourn on Suvarov, C.I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomneale.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	3193  
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 21:38   #8

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Tom Neales advice is usually spot on, especially his advice on the cruising lifestyle and what works vs. what does not. He is, in some ways, the antihtesis of the Pardeys. And he is right. You need to make living on a boat -- LIVING on a boat, not camping. That means if carpet on the floor makes you feel "at home" -- as it does for me -- put carpet in your boat! To me, peeing in a bucket for 15 yeasr like the Pardeys is NOT living on a boat. It's a long, miserable camping trip (and by the way, try to find a woman who is willing and happy to do that!!)
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:45   #9

peeing in a bucket

Exranger,
How wrong you are!!!

Really!

I met my wife in Papua New Guinea where she was teaching school. I was sailing a modified Columbia 24. (yes, I peed in a bucket). We fell in love, me with her--she with my boat! It's the only answer, it is hard to believe a beauty like her could love a clod like me.

These days (20+ years later) the boat is bigger, we have a head, and she still loves the boat.

But we spent 5 wonderful years peeing in a bucket while circumnavigating, engineless.

Want to learn more (I had to write that- it sounds so 1984) follow:

Lucky Cap't. Mike
Old 05-04-2008, 03:11   #10

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
All his teeth?

I read that book about three years ago, but I don't remember him pulling out all his teeth! I think I might have remembered that part!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Capt. Mike,

I am sure you count your blessing, but I am also sure you would agree that peeing in a bucket is not for most women. A woman from Papua New Guinea is much more likely to not be bothered by the bucket. I understand I married a Filipina.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 18:57   #12

pee in a bucket

Hi Imagine,

Yes you are right, however my beauty was born in New England, migrated to New Zealand, and hence to New Guinea.
If you want to find an adventurous woman, you are not likely to find her in Times Square. I say she fell in love with the boat, yes she did, but mostly she fell in love with the life style.

But I am preaching to the converted aren't I? You have read the free chapters? You haven't!!! Not bragging but it is the best thing since----------- well I never was that fond of sliced bread, chunks are better, eaten whole with gusto, tearing it with your teeth, drinking some forsaken rotgut, with a woman nibbling at your ear, laughing, wild loud clear.

I don't have to put the web site in again, do I??

Cap't Mike
Old 05-04-2008, 20:23   #13

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Peeing in a bucket

Yes, I knew there'd be one person who is the exception! lol. But your exception proves the rule, MOST women are NOT going to be thrilled to pee in a bucket for a couple of years with you. Just because you CAN find one or two,hidden away in the Phillipines or somewhere obscure, doesn't mean you a very likely to find one any time soon, or that she's the love of your life. I remember George Burns enjoying smoking cigars and having a scotch everyday. And HE lived to be 100, right? Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

My point is, there's nothing wrong with having the things that make you feel comfortable, available on your boat. We're not talking Jacuzzos here, we're talking $40 worth of carpet or $150 worth of plumbing so you'll at least have a 1 in 100 chance to actually share your cruising life with someone else you like. Peeing in a bucket is fine for a day sail, or a seat-of-your-pants experience when you are 19, but it's not really anything long term for the VAST majority of people.
that's why I like Tom Neale! lol
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07   #14

pee in a bucket or refrigeration

Hi Exranger,

See, you didn't read the free chapters! They are at:

Now if you gave Karen a choice of peeing in a bucket or having her refrigeration I guarantee she would pick her frige ever time!

Give her a choice between me and the boat???? Let's not even think about it. Better to keep them thinking they don't have choices!!!
Or am I being sexist here??!!!

Cap't Mike
Old 08-04-2008, 14:54   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
I think you may be talking about more than one Tom Neale. The Suvarrov Tom Neal died many years ago and is resting in the cemetry at Rarotonga--along with his hero and friend Dean Frisbee who wrote several books, among them "The Island of Desire" about Puka Puka, one of the Northern Cooks, which are all atolls. It was Dean Frisbee who told Tom Neale about Suvarrov in the first place--although there was war at the time. The Island of Desire was Puka Puka, but Frisbee describes a hurricane which struck Suvarrov atoll and wiped out many of the islands forming the group and severely shrunk some that remained.

Anyone who wants to read how the Pacific used to be should read this sort of literature--as well as the books by Frederick O'Brien on Tahiti and the Marquesas.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote