Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 05:56   #1

Cruising Guide to Cuba 2014

Cuba open to boaters (not).

Well, not yet anyway but things are moving in the right direction. IMO boaters could be going there (legally) as soon as the 2015/16 cruising season.

It isnt like the Bahamas, you really need to go there prepared. And the best reading material out there is Cruising Guide to Cuba 2014 by Cheryl Barr. It is a two volume, full-color series.
It is very comprehensive and answers every question you have with regard to preparations. And for cruising, it provides lots of route information, crossing the Gulp Stream, waypoints, chart insets for anchorages and overland traveling to make the most of you time in Cuba

The free download guide that everyone talks about is not nearly as detailed and the charts are merely screen captures of the plotter but hey, ya get what ya pay for. The more familiar Calder guide is still a valuable resource but dated 1997.
I had all three for my cruise along Cuba's NW coast in early 2014 and I found I referred to Cheryl's guide the most. It is well written and the most detailed of all the guides out there.

Cruising Guide to Cuba by Cheryl Barr should be included in all cruising libraries. Barr's website is a good place to start your research as it is chocked full of useful information. Cruise Cuba, current planning and advice for sailing to Cuba
You can buy it from the site and from nautical book dealers like Landfall Navigation and Bluewater Books & Charts.

Marlinespike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-Front-Cover.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	94058   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-Back-cover.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	94059  

marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 16:17   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Cruising Guide to Cuba 2014

Nigel Calder also wrote one which was quite good, but dated now. I also had a Russian produced paper chart kit that was quite good.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Cuba