Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 13:30   #1

Boat: Ericson 27
Atlantic Crossing Reading

I'll be doing my frist Atlantic crossing this fall, from the Canary Islands to St. Lucia. Since I'll have a little time on my hands to do some reading, I thought it would be interesting to read some history on notable Atlantic crossings/exploration during the journey. Any recommendations, or threads that may have already covered this?

Thanks!
mriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 13:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Atlantic Crossing Reading

One of the most entertaining for me was Airborne by WF Buckley.

Of course you should read Slocum and Howard Blackburn for the historical context.

Steve Callahan made a memorable crossing, in a life raft. Maybe read that one after you finish the crossing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 14:53   #3

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
One of the most entertaining for me was Airborne by WF Buckley.

Of course you should read Slocum and Howard Blackburn for the historical context.

Steve Callahan made a memorable crossing, in a life raft. Maybe read that one after you finish the crossing.
Slocum has been on my list for a while and I just got the kindle version from Amazon. Had to look up Blackburn... wow. That guy sounds all kinds of tough. Thank you for the recommendations!
mriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 15:17   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

mriggs,
My first Atlantic crossing was also a westbound crossing....from Canaries to Barbados....about 35 years ago....my latest crossings were an Atlantic circle, just 7 years ago...
And, while my friends, family, crew, etc. have all spent some hours reading books along the passages....I usually find myself reading novels, etc. while at anchor somewhere exotic....but when on a long passage, find my time off-watch consumed by navigation, weather, sail trim, maintenance, cooking/cleaning, radio comms, etc. as well as sleeping!!

I assume you are signing-on as crew, so you will have some down-time to spend reading??
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriggs View Post
I'll be doing my frist Atlantic crossing this fall, from the Canary Islands to St. Lucia. Since I'll have a little time on my hands to do some reading, I thought it would be interesting to read some history on notable Atlantic crossings/exploration during the journey. Any recommendations, or threads that may have already covered this?
Don't forget that SLEEP is going to be VERY important!!
But, if you're looking for a book recommend, to relax with off-watch, how about "Kon Tiki", by Thor Heyerdahl? (my sister read this on my last eastbound crossing, and I decided to pick it up later that year on my westbound crossing).
It will make you glad you have all your modern comforts on-board....and maybe even a bit guilty about 'em!!

If you wish to see some videos (raw footage) of my latest crossings...(including some misc shots of sailing thru TS Olga for a few days, where we were using spinnaker and wishing for more wind, just a couple weeks earlier!)
Have a look here...

Eastbound...

Westbound...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing