Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 06:42   #16

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat
Re: Yanmar Non-Compliance with Bulletin.

JB Weld | World's Strongest Bond
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 07:14   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Thats good stuff JB weld, I used it to repair the aluminium cases on my bike, Drilled and tapped out the holes in the JB weld, put in new bolts, Job was excellent,

Two part mix, add them together and make your joint,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:16   #18

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

I've used JB Weld myself. Very useful product. The Epoxy I tried was advertised fo use with most metals, including copper and aluminum. The only JB Weld I know of is for ferrous metals, not aluminum or copper. Why the epoxy failed is a mystery. Anyway, this repair must be done according to the bulletin in order to have warranty coverage - by an authorized Yanmar dealer/mechanic. This is my primary concern now.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:21   #19

I think there are two kinds of JB weld, When I bought my last lot, I remember two different coloured packets, I just bought the one I needed, For aluminium,

I dont know what the other one did,

Its a bugger when they have you by the short and curlies,
Old 22-09-2012, 11:05   #20

Mr. B,

I never made it to Melbourne, but enjoyed cruising Queensland. Spent most of my time in Brisbane. Matter of fact I bought the 2YM15 in Brisbane & installed at anchor on the River. Really something witnessing "mateship" at work after the flood. Was in Brisbane two different occasions - 2000/2001 and 2009/2011.

Armido
Old 22-09-2012, 20:25   #21

Melbournes a 1000 miles further south from Brisbane and a lot colder in the winter, Even further by boat,

Those floods are some thing else, You need to put to sea, You dont want to be in the rivers any where,
Hyacinth coming down the river wraps around your anchor chain and pulls you under,

Hope you get your motor sorted out,

Be up there next year,
Old 23-09-2012, 04:12   #22

I'm not in Australia anymore. Trinidad now.

As soon as the authorities warned the Brisbane was going to flood I followed the Brisbane ferries out. Seeing them going by tipped the scale for me. Go or stay? Went to Dunwich on North Stradbroke for a couple of weeks, until the river was reopened. A cat anchored near me at Colmslie along the river had no engine... Was dragged by the current/debris into the Gateway bridge pilings and sunk. You're right, river floods are nothing to mess with.

Not sure I have enough spunk left in me to go round a third time, so I may never sail Australian waters again. Great people, beautiful country and some of the best cruising areas I've experienced.

armido
Old 23-09-2012, 06:23   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

I suspect I am missing something here .........but why not go to another Yanmar dealer?

Personally, now that the mechanic / dealer has been annoyed (rightly or wrongly you are firmaly in the category of PITA punter) I would not let them anywhere near my engine for the risk that payback could be a bitch.......

Or failing that, just let them do the fix their way - and if the engine goes pop then sue 'em (seems to be America's favourite hobby ).

Ooops....just seen you are in Trinidad! Not sure what American Yanmar has to do with the situation then.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:47   #24

DOJ,

The totality of Yanmar's presence in Trinidad are these two entities. If there were another dealer, it would be even farther away from the Yanmar distributor - who sponsors, or at least "set up" the mechanic who initially refused to do the work per Yanmar's bulletin. Whether his refusal is still the issue or not I can't say. He did say he could not do the simple job until October. Too busy. Doubtful, but what his motivation is now for failing to keep his promise to do the work is speculative. Pissed because I contacted Yanmar U.S. about his demand I pay for the tools? Anyway, I refuse to pay more to the distributor than the original quote. Also seems reasonable to me that somewhere in the distributors agreement with Yanmar, and between the distributor and the retralcicant mechanic, he has an obligation to finish work the machanic either can't or will not - without jacking up the original quoted amount.

If there was another Yanmar alternative even farther away, the cost would be even higher than what the distributor demands.

Unlikely any kind of sabatoge will occur, because I'll be watching anyone who completes the job.

armido
Old 23-09-2012, 07:56   #25

DOJ,

Anyone who would hire a lawyer in this situation, especially in Trinidad would have to have a screw loose. You'd have to pay the lawyer up front more than the total costs associated with the repair. And, here in Trinidad the law matters less than who you know.

Yanmar America is involved because the Yanmar distributor here is their authorized dealer. Also, although I bought my engine in Australia, it is an engine that meets U.S. emission standards and I am American.

armido
Old 09-10-2012, 16:28   #26

Thanks to Yanmar U.S. who "asked" Trintrac to do the filler neck and tube installation at the original quoted price, and the availability of a Yanmar technician who ironically resides on his catamaran in Chaguaramas, the job was completed this morning. The Yanmar mechanic, Ellison, is an experienced sailor who's sailing accomplishments include at least two circumnavigations. I found him to be personable, attentive to detail and a good listener/communicator.

Still, I caution anyone who owns a Yanmar diesel engine, wherever they are or plan to go against assuming Yanmar mechanics will adhere to Yanmar policies and standards when working on engines. Nor should you assume Yanmar is monitoring their sales and service centers sufficiently to protect your interests - and warranties. Expect a long, bruising battle if you discover the job you have let to a Yanmar service center has a bulletin specifying how the job is to be done - after a quote is issued. Odds are you will meet resistance and be told by the mechanic you'll have it done his way or the highway.

Armido

Tags
yanmar