Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 09:38   #1

Lightbulb Wallas 87D Diesel Cooker/Hob

Hey all - been a while since I have been on the forum - hope everyone is doing ok!

We are in the process of restoring our Meta Joshua 40, and looking at possibly fitting a Wallas 87D gimbled oven and hob.... but I am yet to find anyone who has used one on a Sailing boat... really interested in having only one fuel to contend with - the boat isn't fitted for gas, and I dislike meths cookers.. the Wallas seems like a great (if expensive) option.

Anyone got first hand experience?? Particulary interested in the installation of the flues high enough to avoid water ingress off the deck....

Intend to do lots of cold sailing... only popping to the tropics to pass through on the way south and back north...

Looking forward to hearing from someone?

Thanks!
Joshua40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 17:18   #2

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: Wallas 87D Diesel Cooker/Hob

Great little stove, but as it is diesel fuelled, it will require some cleaning / soot removal from time to time.
They are weak.. it takes over twice the time to heat a litre of water compared to propane.
Can be hard to install, as it needs an over deck exhaust / flue.

On the other hand, a propane stove in the arctic is a pain in the ass. The water wapour condenses on all cold surfaces, like the wheelhouse windows. A big reason why the wallas stoves are popular in small fishing boats, up north.

It's been a while since i used one, and i've never mounted one myself.

.manitu
Old 02-03-2021, 10:12   #3

I dont own one but they allways interested me as well so I researched about them.
They are a ceramic stove heated by diesel, so theres no smell or humidity since there are no fumes inside the cabin. For all purposes it works just like a ceramic stove, and the stove and oven uses 3-5 and 3.4-7.4 oz of diesel per hour respectively, and the electricity use is just 8amps for the first 7 min, them is just 0.15amps draw.

They also have electronics parts with is something that concerns me, since thats another thing who may break.

My response is late but I hope it can help you.
Futuresailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 14:16   #4

My Wallas stove is garbage. It never worked properly from the day I purchased it. I tried everything short of replacing it.
Stelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 05:22   #5

Boat: Fairways, Fisher 34 wheelhouse ketch, 10.4m
Re: Wallas 87D Diesel Cooker/Hob - My hob is an 85

Hi All,

A while back I posted a question about glow plugs for my Wallas 85. The price from the Wallas dealer was ridiculous - about £20 for something that costs £6 in a car place.

Anyway, the latest thing is the overheat sensor. It goes open circuit when the temperature gets too high, and the one we have just seems to be too sensitive.

Does anyone know where I could get such a sensor please? It looks pretty standard
and RS or CPC etc ask £6-7 for them instead of £16+VAT.

We have had a Wallas 85 diesel hob fitted to our Fisher 34 Wight Mistress since January 2006, after a survey condemned the old gas installation. (I hate gas anyway so was glad to rip it all out.) We bought the hob with the fan lid and we use it quite a lot as a heating system, although I have bought a normal diesel hot air system - just not fitted it yet, partly because the Wallas does a good job and we invariably plug into electricity when alongside.

Even though spares and servicing are both eye-wateringly expensive, I would never go back to a gas system on my boat. I increased our domestic bank to 4 x 100 AH lead acid cells about 7 years ago and have thought about going bigger and using an induction hob (we have a portable mains one) but I haven't got round to doing the sums for load and inverters etc (too busy sailing and enjoying life.)

So in summary, I really like the Wallas hob, so long as it keeps working.
Wight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel