Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 02:43   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Vintage Alternatives to Sailrite Sewing Machine

Imo, things like edging attachments for sewing machines exist not because they are better, but because people don't want to do hand sewing and vendors are happy to provide for them - machine edging stitch has the same flaws as a machine zig zag, so is unsuitable for an area that could be chaffed.
Old 30-05-2020, 06:05   #32

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

Hey the nail pilot hole could be a game changer!!!!! Ever try multiple nails? They would hold the piece together whilst you were sewing like pins. Probably not as well but it could speed up production. They make a tool for leather sewing that makes mutliple holes at once, but I think the holes would be too big. Great info, Thanks again.
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 06:08   #33

Multiple nails might hold the material together. Game changer. Also, Leather tools might work, to make multiple holes at same time and speed up production, but they might, also be too large. I feel we are getting off topic for this thread, Though?
Old 30-05-2020, 06:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Hey the nail pilot hole could be a game changer!!!!! Ever try multiple nails? They would hold the piece together whilst you were sewing like pins. Probably not as well but it could speed up production. They make a tool for leather sewing that makes mutliple holes at once, but I think the holes would be too big. Great info, Thanks again.
I actually had thoughts about making such a tool in the past, but now that I have more experience just a single guide line works fine. Although laying the cloth in position and pre punching the holes is a good way to assure accuracy when you're starting out.

Edit - But if you're punching holes with a suitable tool you aren't damaging the cloth, so the holes close themselves up after a bit of handling. This means that it is only practical to punch about a 6" row of holes at a time. And for sailmaking, the majority of the seams are on cambered parts of the panel, so it would not be a case of "one tool fits all".
Old 30-05-2020, 06:58   #35

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

If you are looking for an old machine, it is worth the effort to make contact with a local sewing machine repair guy. He can make a recommendation, and might have an old one kicking around for a good price.

That's how I got a Pfaff 130. A very simple, but amazingly well made machine. So, so, so much different than anything coming out of China these days.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post

That's how I got a Pfaff 130. A very simple, but amazingly well made machine. So, so, so much different than anything coming out of China these days.
Yea "rugged" and "chinese made" do not go together. Better to go vintage
Old 30-05-2020, 07:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Yea "rugged" and "chinese made" do not go together. Better to go vintage
too funny, and sooo true... that is except their virus's... (drum roll followed by High hat!!!)

alas I live in the country.. not sure we have sewing machine repair man. Definitely, don't know of a shop... :-) but it is a good idea and I will look into it.
Old 30-05-2020, 07:29   #38

Quote:

alas I live in the country.. not sure we have sewing machine repair man. Definitely, don't know of a shop... :-) but it is a good idea and I will look into it.
You can expect pretty hefty freight charges, but shipping could still be worth while if you find the right machine for the right price. You should still be able to manage half the price of a Sailrite machine in total, and that's not including their shipping cost - although I think they are free in the US if you spend that much, or a discount, I forget.
Old 30-05-2020, 07:44   #39

Anyway, if you use the prefix "semi-industrial long-arm" on your sewing machine google searches, you should find something.
Old 31-05-2020, 19:29   #40

Hey everyone just got back from the boat, still waiting on my supplies to show up and weather to stop raining, every dang day, so I can get to my deck repairs. Anyway, I thought I has a pfaff 130 bought for $250, timing belts looked like mice had got to them, and motor wasn't strong enough turn machine at all. Belt was just slipping. Tightened belt, still same problem. I could hand crank, But it was tight.. Anyway, I still offered $100 and they declined. probably all for the better. Getting ready to order stuff for dodger, Where do I find good sunbrella, Thread, velcro, snaps, no see um screening, zippers, and Dodger window material for the best price plus shipping?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:20   #41

Quote:
Hey everyone just got back from the boat, still waiting on my supplies to show up and weather to stop raining, every dang day, so I can get to my deck repairs. Anyway, I thought I has a pfaff 130 bought for $250, timing belts looked like mice had got to them, and motor wasn't strong enough turn machine at all. Belt was just slipping. Tightened belt, still same problem. I could hand crank, But it was tight.. Anyway, I still offered $100 and they declined. probably all for the better. Getting ready to order stuff for dodger, Where do I find good sunbrella, Thread, velcro, snaps, no see um screening, zippers, and Dodger window material for the best price plus shipping?
I used to get my customers to buy the fabric I needed from Sailrite - their shipping rates were ok to the Caribbean.
Here in EU that is not feasible. What you need is 9-16oz UV stabilized vinyl fabric. The 16oz version will usually be resin impregnated, but you don't necessarily need that. Sailrite's fabric costs are fairly reasonable, so I doubt you can save much by shopping around.

Yea, for $250 you should expect that the motor and belts are new, they are asking too much. $150 would be a more reasonable price for what they are offering.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:50   #42

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Getting ready to order stuff for dodger, Where do I find good sunbrella, Thread, velcro, snaps, no see um screening, zippers, and Dodger window material for the best price plus shipping?
Sailmakers supply. Google it.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:32   #43

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I buy all my material from Sailrite. So far I've done a bunch of dodger repairs, made a new mainsail cover from their kit and other projects. They have a great selection and excellent customer service as well as videos to cover almost any job.

This year I ordered some Sunbrella Seamark for more extensive dodger repairs. I had used regular Sunbrella for the sail cover and in 1.5 years it had chafed through the material at the winches on the mast. I don't fault Sailrite for that but I should have reinforced this area. Easy enough to do.

But when it came time to repair my dodger, I went with the Seamark version as it is the most heavy duty and I feel dodgers are a high wear area. My original dodger is 16 years old so I think this is good life from a fabric as it was originally made with Seamark from the look of it.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:11   #44

Boat: Lancer 36

I bought a vintage kenmore industrial machine off Ebay for $125; it needed some lubrication and TLC to get everything moving; a repairman i called on the US mainland says the old machines are nearly bulletproof. I intend to buy supplies from Sailrite, as they have great products and support, with good tutorials on Youtube.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:03   #45

That's what I am talking bout!!!! Thank-you for the information it will be put to good use. ��

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine