Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 10:49   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Trying to Buy 3006-2285 rope from Walmart.com

Almost 3 weeks ago, I attempted to buy some double braided anchor rope from Walmart.com.

It was listed(then), as 300' of 3/4" gold/white anchor rope for about $56.

Quite a steal of a price ... so I checked all the data and compared prices(found few prices to be similar.

I order the road and was told it would take a week to get here.

When I went to pick it up, the rope was 3/8" by 200' long ... of course I was somewhat disappointed and told the cashier I couldn't accept the rope. Walmart wanted me to take, then return the rope, but I told them that the rope was not as described, not as ordered and not as even stated on the package listing, so I wouldn't even acknowledge the order.

In conversation with Walmart.com, I explained my action along with the possibility that the description might be in error.

At that time it had been a week after my initial order, and I also informed Walmart that the description still indicates a 300' 3/4" rope. I also surmised, that maybe a lot of "cheap", boaters had "probably", ordered this same rope at it's fantastic price, and must have also been dissatisfied when something much less arrived.

She too believed that a description may be incorrect, but no explaination for the difference in items(the one ordered or the one delivered), was included in packaging and as I said, the package detail indicates that the 300', 3/4" was in the delivered package. She said that since the description is for a 300' rope, the order was for a 300' rope AND that the packing list is ALSO for a 300' rope, that she was going to "specifically", request that the 300' be sent.

Now it's been over 2 weeks, going on 3 weeks and the description remains the same.

I just got an email telling me that the order has come in and is ready for pickup, and that this order weighs in at a hefty(?) 8 pounds.

I think, maybe, 8 pounds might indicate something like a 50' or so rope. The Walmart site is still(today) showing(picture) and indicating that same 300', 3/4", double braided anchor rope. So, either everyone else is actually getting the ordered rope, or the responsible parties, who must know about this "situation", do not feel it's in their interest to correct, either the price ... or the description.

The listing in my email, is indicating a 300', 3/4" double braided anchor rope .... I feel a frustration coming on ...

Now I'm beginning to think that the ad description is very much bordering on false advertisement, especially since no explaination has been forthcoming.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 05:36   #2

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Trying to Buy 3006-2285 rope from Walmart.com

The saga continues ... I've gotten the store manager and Walmart.com discussing this issue.

Walmart is now fully aware that the ad is wrong and spent about an hour & a half on the phone with Walmart.com supervisory personnel about 3 days ago.

The ad, along with pop-up ads still show the same ad, but I think I've found the cause of the confusion ... lazy programmers ...

There are quite a number of variations in the Extreme Tector ropes, but the programmers only used one description ... for a 300' long, 3/4" rope, in the details the correct part number is given. But that number has no direct numbering relationship to the various ropes ... nothing like 3006-2285, meaning 300' of 6/8(3/4), rope. The 2285, which is nothing more than a number with no descriptive relationship to the number.

Well, in small print the number is 3006-2249, which is the number(2249), for a 200'/3/8" rope.

The numbers mean absolutely nothing to a viewing customer, without a table showing the various part numbers.

Anyway, the Walmart manager feels I should be getting the 300' 3/4" rope and that Walmart.com should update their ads. When I last talked to Walmart.com, they felt the same way ... so both business feel I should get this 300' x 3/4" rope. They're trying to make this happen ... so they say...

In the meantime, anyone looking for double-braided, Extreme Tector rope, will be seeing(in a lot of ads, not all), 3/4", 300' rope, for various prices from $30 to $299, with no way of discerning there's a problem in the ad.

Customers who order the 3/4", 300' rope, will get a package of whatever, with a packing list showing that the package contains 3/4" by 300' double-braided rope, with no indications of the correct part number.

It's a mistake, but Walmart.com, has dealt with me on this issue for 3 weeks and I'm willing to bet with many others(it's a steal of a price), with no inclination to see what is wrong with the ads, or their shipping department not able to discern the difference between an 8 pound spool of rope and a 60 pound spool of rope.

I see this a deceptive advertising, and I'm sure it was a mistake, but seriously, why doesn't the company look into this to change the ads correctly .... this is the computer age, where things "should", be able to happen quickly.

We shall see ... but I hope I get that rope ...
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:30   #3

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Trying to Buy 3006-2285 rope from Walmart.com

So What did you expect from the WALMARTIANS??
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope