Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 10:10   #16

Boat: Cape George 36
Re: Total Boat Varnish?

I picked up a quart to try. I have all Honduran mahogany on the exterior and I have a LOT of it.

I have been using Z-spar (now Petit) Flagship for years. I always thin a bit. First coat 50/50, second coat 75/25, each additional coat - for conditions but almost always a lil splash of thinner goes in to make it flow nice.

I live in San Diego. Locals told me when I moved here from the Pacific NW that I'd have to varnish twice a year. I last varnished 18 months ago - I laid down 10 coats. It is finally time to do it again (shine all gone). Maybe a bit past time. Still - more coats is more better and I can do two coats a day if I'm doing the whole boat. I do a quick wipe down with a thinner soaked rag each morning before the next coat to get the dust off from the dew settling overnight. So I take a week off every other year and get her done.

I'm gonna try the Lust on a few horizontal areas that always fail first as additional top coats and see how it goes this year.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 13:55   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'll have to find or do a search but I believe this product was discussed a while ago. If I recall, it is a polyurethane not a varnish. Some posters suggested that the number coats you can put down in a day was a bit exaggerated.

I decided to stick with varnish.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:35   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Thanks for finding that old thread. iPhone's don't work as well for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish