Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 20:18   #16

I've heard a lot about these Blitz cans. I got a really good one here, http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=3314523, and it was a lot cheaper than it was at my local store. Five gallons is enough for me!
Kaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 21:22   #17

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Try this fix at your own risk, this is NOT OSHA approved.
Take the blitz can with the useless nozzel and drill a small hole about 5/32 of an inch in the top opposite of the nozzle, you know, in the position where the vent is on a "good" fuel can. Get a golf tee and stick it into that hole it should fit tight!, when you go to pour out the fuel remove the golf tee, don't use the nozzle use a funnel, because it is now vented it will pour without gurgling or burping. After you have emptied it insert the tee firmly and carry on as usual. I would not do this with gasoline. I have two blitz cans and 3 great Gott plastic cans which are about 15-20 years old they are the best, really heavy duty and pour well because they have vent caps.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 10:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
In their defense, a law was passed that required them to make that initial change.
Exactly! The next time you think to yourself "there oughta be a law!" consider the likelihood of unintended consequences.

It was mandated to all gas can manufacturers that they could not sell cans without "environmentally friendly" spouts by thus-and-such a date. Unfortunately the politicians did not give the manufacturers enough time to thoroughly design and test their spouts. Why should they? They think all they have to do is mandate something and everyone else will have to figure out how to make it work.

The result was that version 1 of these "environmentally friendly" spouts were most decidedly NOT environmentally friendly! Indeed, they were LESS environmentally friendly than the spouts they replaced!

If the politicians had simply let market pressure work its magic (as it was already in the process of doing when they passed their law) then the manufacturers would have had the time to get it right in the first place.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 10:06   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have found that some WalMarts still have the old cans with vents.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 12:10   #20

ALL,

I had the same problem before we headed out cruising.
Take a look at the "No-Spill" cans!!! Some one on this or another board turned me on to them. They are WORLDS better!!!

I have the small one 1.25 Gal. in the dink with me when I am out. I have filled the 2-hot-2 fuel tank (internal) from the No-Spill in bucking seas WITHOUT SPILLING A DROP!. The only draw back is that the white part of the filler goes bad in the sun VERY quickly! It needs to be covers as much as you can. We had white Sunbrell covers made for them. I loosen the cap and turn the white part over the can, then put the cover on it for protection from the sun.

I don't remember who told me about them, but I always wanted to THANK them!

Greg

Goto: http://www.nospill.com/index.html
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 18:13   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
A sharp knife will fix these crappy cans. Just cut out the center. Then only the crappy seal leaks at the screw neck.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 18:14   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have been using the blue kerosene 5 gallon containers. there is no vent it sort of vents through the nozzle. procedure is place a square oils absorber with a hole cut in the middle around the fill point. place funnel in the fill and pour. I can't recall ever getting a drop on deck doing this. granted the color code is wrong but I can't find these jugs in yellow. I do the same when filling at a marina with the pad and the funnell.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:04   #23
shap27iup

What about filling up gas cans on the dock or a gas station eh? I knows that some places you cant carryon gas, but whos lookin anyway eh? Use a syphon hose, 7-8$, from the cans to the tanks, takes a little while longer but you could be doing other stuff while syphoning for sure. No mess at all, not a drop wasted, know what im saying? Its what I do at my docks, but we allowed to carry on, so i never pay the extra for marina gas.

Get the syphon hose with the ball in it so you just have to shake it instead of sucking on it.

Bill
Old 22-12-2008, 09:42   #24

Boat: grampian 26
They do or did sell a gizmo up here in the great white north that looked like a gas station filling nozzle. I have no idea how well it works but i assume it is just a glorified siphon. If it works as advertised it may be a solution to the spillage issue. I may break down and buy one to try it out as it is pain to fill my out board fuel tank that lives in the lazerette. If it is like most things they foist on the unsuspecting public it is probably a piece of crap but nothing ventured nothing gained.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 09:52   #25

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
They do or did sell a gizmo up here in the great white north that looked like a gas station filling nozzle. I have no idea how well it works but i assume it is just a glorified siphon. If it works as advertised it may be a solution to the spillage issue. I may break down and buy one to try it out as it is pain to fill my out board fuel tank that lives in the lazerette. If it is like most things they foist on the unsuspecting public it is probably a piece of crap but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have one of these and use it for filling the dinghy tank and the portable generator and it is OK. The problem I have is that it does not fit the fuel jug very well and as you are pumping the hand pump, if you do not hold it down it pops off the threads on the fuel jug.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 08:20   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
What's wrong with using a simple siphon, no spillage, no mess and you can refuel in a gale - my choice every time.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 09:29   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
No, I don't understand you at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Last year I had emptied the fuel tanks of what I thought might be 5-7 year old diesel from my fuel tanks and cleaned them. I decided to fill them up since the marina I am in was going to raise the fuel price .50 cents a gallon in 2 days. Since I need 100 gallons it represented a good savings doing it now. Unfortunately the harbor here is silted in terribly and unless you can get in at high tide, you will go aground. The tides did not co-operate with the times the pump was open and decided to jerry-can 100 gallons of diesel via 5 of these new 5 gallon "environmentally sound" (Blitz manufactured) jerry cans.
The use a slip nozzel which when depressed by inserting it in the fuel fill allows the flow of fuel and also sucking air back in through the nozzel.
All I can say is "what a useless piece of s#@!. They leaked all over my deck, were extremely slow and one of them had not been moulded correctly in the handle area which also leaked. There is a tiny plastic lip on the slip part of the nozzel which when pushed against the side of the fuel fill allows the valve to open and allow fuel flow. After one attempt of allow the 50 lbs. of the full containerto depree the nozzel, it was mushed beyond recognition. After that tiny lip is gone, there would be no way to slip the nozzel back. After my first attempt with these cans, I resorted to a large funnel and removing the nozzel and free pouring. Much faster and no spills.
I'm not sure which whizz-kid designed these but he should go back to school. Oddly these are made in the U.S...shamefull!!! I expect this type of junk from overseas.
Anyone else frustrated by this?
Perhaps you got a defective lot - that is not good. Perhaps only those with bad experiences wrote-in.

I will admit, the first day I actually went home and removed the mechanism from the one I bought. Then I thought about it, put it back together, and eventually bought 3 more.

+ I can fill off-shore without a spill in very rough conditions. I can't miss the hole.

+/- They are slower - I'm not in a rush.

- You do have to learn to balance them on the nub.

+ The little nub holds up fine if you don't drop them. I have had them for 4 years and used them weekly.

+ No screwing around with vents or removing a blanking plate.

But they do require the operator to think a bit and maybe to change habits. I have learned to like them.

Really, rants from adults. Kerosene cans. Drilling holes. Embarrassing stubbornness. Accept change. Learn.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:47   #28

I bought race jugs from JEGS
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 11:41   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE
Hello Folks - my first post here.

I also looked far and wide for some decent quality fuel cans. I discounted metal for obvious reasons. I wound up with Scepter's "Military Fuel Cans" that are not CARB rated, but have none of the issues above

They are popular with the 4x4 offroad crowd with a good review w/pics here.

There are multiple spouts available:

As well as water cans:

They are not cheap, but they are mil-spec.

V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 09:09   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Great photo of the Iraqi Freedom Can
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel