Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 06:35   #16
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,507
Images: 123
Re: Spartite

That name looks familiar Gord. It has been nearly 15 years, and the memory is a wee bit weak these days with age........i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
https://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:43   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,133
Re: Spartite

Lancelot, what kind of caulking are you going to use that cures when it is one to four inches thick?

Spartite is used to form a plug between the mast and mast partners, and that's usually a gap anywhere from 1/2" to four inches wide, in order to allow the past to be positioned and raked properly in the deck. It replaces the wedges normally used for positioning the mast, as well as sealing the hole.

Caulk is for caulking, not positioning masts in decks.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:58   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 764
Re: Spartite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Lancelot, what kind of caulking are you going to use that cures when it is one to four inches thick?

Spartite is used to form a plug between the mast and mast partners, and that's usually a gap anywhere from 1/2" to four inches wide, in order to allow the past to be positioned and raked properly in the deck. It replaces the wedges normally used for positioning the mast, as well as sealing the hole.

Caulk is for caulking, not positioning masts in decks.
Actually the mast is dead on vertical and not raked. I put the caulking in around 10 years ago and all I remember is that it was a GE product and bought at a hardware store. I too thought about the curing problem for a large bead(used the entire tube in the caulking gun), but remembered many a tube solidifing right in the tube itself(the whole tube not just the nozzle) after only a short period after cutting the nozzle. Plus the gap is no more than an inch wide around the mast. I've spoken with the spartite people at the boat shows, but they don't seem that well versed in the engineering aspects being mostly sales types.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:09   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 764
Re: Spartite

I helped a friend put spartite around his mast some 5 years ago and if I remember right there are instructions to use wax paper around the edges of the deck(while the spartite cures) to allow the mast to come out of the boat with the spartite intact around the mast. That seems to be an advantage for its use. IMHO
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:36   #20
Registered User
 
osirissail's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Spartite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
John:
Might the alternative mast boot seal product have been:
Flexane® 80 Liquid (Devcon)
ITW Devcon | Flexane® 80 Liquid
Yes, it is. Before Spartite started repackaging it, we purchases Flexane 80 from WWGrainger (wholesale industrial suppler) to do the job of replacing the old wooden wedges - partners that held the mast in position as it passed through the cabin top.
- - We would cut thin plastic rigid sheet to form a base inside the cabin around the mast hole. Then mix and pour the Flexane in from above. After it cured we would remove the plastic from inside the cabin and install teak trim around the mast. The installation I did on my boat has lasted 15 years so far.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 12:52   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Re: Spartite

5 years into Spartite and no leaks.



I will let you know how it goes with unstepping the mast one day (hopefully later not sooner). A friend of mine had to drill and cut it to unstep his mast - that layer of vasiline did not help. But I prefer to mess with it in the future since mast unstepping is a major work anyway instead of chasing leaks from time to time.


I am also thinking about using Spartite to seal chainplates. Here is the dedicated thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-new-post.html


How dumb do you think it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170921_083719.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	211760   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170921_170306.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	211762  

__________________
When there are white caps on the bay, the pro don't play.
badadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:34   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,642
Re: Spartite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I helped a friend put spartite around his mast some 5 years ago and if I remember right there are instructions to use wax paper around the edges of the deck(while the spartite cures) to allow the mast to come out of the boat with the spartite intact around the mast. That seems to be an advantage for its use. IMHO
Use Vaseline on mast and mast partners

Imbed a piece if string or SS wire in the spartight so that you can cut it out in future
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 17:06   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Re: Spartite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Use Vaseline on mast and mast partners

Imbed a piece if string or SS wire in the spartight so that you can cut it out in future

Sting or SS wire is a very good suggestion! Thank you!
__________________
When there are white caps on the bay, the pro don't play.
badadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 18:54   #24
Registered User
 
Discovery 15797's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean
Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Posts: 556
Re: Spartite

When properly installed you do not use wax paper on the partner so you can later remove the mast; you use a release agent on the partner. (A release agent prevents bonding to the partner.)

When properly installed you do not use vaseline or a release agent on the mast. You want the Spartite to adhere to the mast; that is why is it a waterproof barrier.

When properly installed you create a slight lip of spartite that extends over the partner so you do not need to use a sealant. You should use a mast boot to make it watertight. (As well illustrated in Badadim's photos.)

This is all true assuming the partner is not some weird design that is angled so it is larger on the bottom as opposed to the top side.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
Quests Of Discovery
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 23:28   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Re: Spartite

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadim View Post
5 years into Spartite and no leaks.



I will let you know how it goes with unstepping the mast one day (hopefully later not sooner). A friend of mine had to drill and cut it to unstep his mast - that layer of vasiline did not help. But I prefer to mess with it in the future since mast unstepping is a major work anyway instead of chasing leaks from time to time.


I am also thinking about using Spartite to seal chainplates. Here is the dedicated thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-new-post.html


How dumb do you think it is?

So, the mast has been unstepped in October 2021 - it went out extremely easy to my surprise! The Vaseline included with Spartite kit did all the job - never underestimate Vaseline!
__________________
When there are white caps on the bay, the pro don't play.
badadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SparTite btrayfors Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 04-10-2012 12:40
Experince with Spartite on Masts - Mast Installation/Removal geoffschultz Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 08-12-2008 16:45
"Spartite"; anyone used it? Weyalan Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 05-08-2008 18:16

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.