Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 01:09   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Si-tex SST-110 depth sounder

Just a heads up. In 2014 I replace my standard communication depth sounder that came with my HR 35. The unit worked great but showed the usual signs for UV degradation to the point the printed film under the glass was flaking off. It was time.
I replaced it with a Si-Tex SST-110 digital display depth sounder during a routine haul-out. When I re-launched the unit had difficulty displaying an accurate depth. Sometimes the number 46 came up although I was in 10ft. of water. Other times the display showed ----. I called their tech support and it was suggested the display was malfunctioning. I had to send the old one back and then they sent me another. Although it worked a bit better, it was not right. I was initially told that the unit would not work correctly if the bottom was "soft", as they described it. Although it fell on deaf ears hen I tried comparing the old Standard units performance to theirs.
I left for Mexico from California and the sounder basically worked 50% of the time...unacceptable. Two years went by and the system became so bad that it might give an accurate reading 10% of the time...at best. Going into anchorages had to be done with a lead line. It was very nerve racking.
I called Si-Tex Tech support when I returned to California and was informed that it had to be the transducer and not the display but because the unit was out of warranty, I had to buy a transducer even though the unit had been documented as never working correctly. I argued this and finally was allowed to purchase a transducer at cost, $70. I then had to haul out and replace it. Lo and behold, the sounder worked correctly.
I was asked to call back after I installed the transducer to report my findings. I guess I was expecting or at least hoping they would realize it had been the transducer all along and reimburse me the $70 for the transducer. All I got was "ok thanks" and that was it.
To me this is marginal customer service. It is time to replace my JRC radar and I probably will not consider a Si-Tex radar based on my experience.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder