Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 12:25   #1

sewing machine manual

Hi,

Following recommendations from the forum I bought an old sewing machine in great shape, now I need the manual.
Attached is the photo.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181106_131635.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	180229  
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:41   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: sewing machine manual

Good luck with finding the manual for your Arrow ZigZag. I'm afraid it's going to be a difficult internet search. You could ask around by phone at used book stores. Put wanted ads up (on the internet), that sort of thing, as you've done here.

If you're already an experienced stitcher, ime, the old machines all have the same sorts of things, and respond to the basic logic about thread tension adjustment that SailRite has online, it's a question of trial and error, till you get the feel for it. Once you have the feel, it will transfer across sewing machines. Parts for it may be a challenge, and I hope you can source them, too.

CF member <senormechanico> is a wiz with sewing machines. You could PM him with specific questions.

Ann
Old 06-11-2018, 17:44   #3

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

That is referred to as a "Badged" Japanese machine. Built by various factories in Japan and sold by retailers here under different names. Check a forum called "Quilting Board", they have a whole section on those machines. I have a similar machine, the instructions with it don't exactly match the machine, but they're close enough. If you can't find a resource online, I can probably email you pics of mine. But they really are very generic. The machines are generally strong and reliable, pretty good for covers.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 20:09   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, B Hunter,

Oiling these machines is pretty easy. You tip it off the box so you can see inside, and everything that moves on another piece of metal wants a drip of oil. SailRite (no affiliation) sells an oiling bottle with a long very fine nipple that is really good at getting your drops where you want them to go. Then, every hole on the top of the machine, where you see metal that moves underneath it, also wants a drop, and usually there's an oil port just forward of the balance wheel.

My old Pfaff Manual went with the machine when I sold it, but if you want to learn stuff about how to fold cloth to blind hem, I can probably describe that well enough for you; and I'm sure there are directions on the internet for flat felled seams of different kinds, for different uses.

There is also a Sewing Group on CF, Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects, but it is not too active.

Also, I heartily recommend working out a way to use PTFE thread, as it is extremely UV resistant, and will outlive your Sunbrella whatever you choose to makes.

Ann
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

A note about PTFE thread, you need to fashion a turntable and feed the thread off the SIDE of the spool.
This prevents twists and resultant hockles in the thread.
If you feed it off the top, you will constantly be frustrated with the result.

I made a turntable from an old computer hard drive motor (no electricity, just used as a bearing) and added a vertical piece of baling wire to serve as a thread guide.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:59   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Arrows were made by Toyota. Fantastic machines. Here's a a generic Toyota Arrow Manual in PDF to download; English version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SP100_A_B_type_EN.pdf (1.49 MB, 55 views)

Tags
sewing machine