Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 18:56   #1

Semco teal sealer

What do you folks think about a product called Semco teak sealer? Anybody have experience with the product?
brakauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:13   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Semco teal sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakauskas View Post
What do you folks think about a product called Semco teak sealer? Anybody have experience with the product?
I use it on the deck and like it, good UV protection. Easy to work with, goes on fast. If needed/wanted you can remove it with teak cleaner. Or, let it go and it'll disappear in time.

The only downside is it needs recoated every 2-3 months.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05   #3

How easy is the recoating? Do you have to sand between coats? Is it high gloss or more satin?
brakauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:16   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakauskas View Post
How easy is the recoating? Do you have to sand between coats? Is it high gloss or more satin?
Think 'Thompson's Water Sealer', the stuff from years ago people put on their outdoor wood decks.

No gloss, it's more like a stain, soaks into the wood. The more coats the more opaque as the pigment will sit on the surface.

Recoat - nothing to do but maybe clean the teak first if it's dirty. Make sure it's dry, I wait 24 hours after cleaning, you don't want to trap water under the sealer.

Put it on with a foam brush, wipe it off the caulk with an old rag. Any drips or splatters on the gelcoat wipe off with a clean rag.

IMO, it's more of a deck product than brightwork. Although they have a Clear Coat product you can put over the sealer, but I've never used it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:07   #5

Boat: Rhodes, Chesapeake, 32
Use it and love it. Lasts a whole year or more among Lake Superior apostle islands. Can mix tints. Can apply in any temp above freezing. 13 year old daughter treats teak toe rail for a subway sandwich in an hour. Then she watches from car while I apply second coat. 32 loa.
Ketchgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:41   #6

It has a dry look to it. Just used the "natural" on my deck, and basically like it. Color is a bit uneven, but that could be due to incomplete initial cleaning. (I hate using two part cleaners - hard on the deck, and I don't have much thickness left…..over 30 years old, and previous owners sanded too much). A neighbor of mine uses the "golden" on his deck and trim; it looks orange to me, but it's held up quite well.

I like to think it helps seal the deck and slow down the wear…….
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:59   #7

I have used it for 20 years or more on brightwork. It lasts about one year in Florida. I clean with soap and water one day, then seal the next. Put at least two coats that day, more if possible. Try to put as much as possible with each coat and stir pot before each brushload. I use a conventional brush but foam brush is recommended. It is not necessary to tape around the area, drips and sags clean up easily with paint thinner.
stpetescorer is offline   Reply With Quote